suitable small block home?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
My buddy is gonna be cleaning out his farm and has a 2 door Chevette that is sitting on his property he may let slide for extremely cheap. Cheap enough that I am even considering buying a Chevette. Would this be hard to cram a small block in? All im gonna do is romp the damn car into the ground with a junkyard small block. I am honestly curious. Im not a huge fan of these cars or how fugly they are, but they are really light.

I don't remember my mother in laws being rear wheel drive..... But then again, it was a Chevy .....

Seen low buck,brand "c" in them,home brewed. Same guy ,did a Rat install,decades later.Info:Late 90's ,Hot Rod mag,JY'/backyarded a Caddy 500,in one. Ran high 11's.Good basic info there.I like it,stuff it in!

Seen low buck,brand "c" in them,home brewed. Same guy ,did a Rat install,decades later.Info:Late 90's ,Hot Rod mag,JY'/backyarded a Caddy 500,in one. Ran high 11's.Good basic info there.I like it,stuff it in!
there was one running around here a while back.had 350. said it ran 11s beat him in my 12 sec b body. do it for ***** and grins....

I say, if you wanna go through the pains of a Chevy to MoPar V8 swap, go for it mad have fun

He wants 100 for the whole car and I have 0 welding experience and would probably make as much of the factory wiring work as much as I could. I don't think it'd be an insane pain but I have really been looking for a light platform for a fun street car and this could be the ticket

You are in Georgia,you have neighbors,that weld. If not,find a way to contact RustyRatRod,a B bodies.:prayer:

that thing would fly with even a 318 in it...how heavy is a chevette maybe 2200 lbs?

What you wating for lol If you get started and find out its not for you .. keep the motor and scrap the car you just lost some time

I had a Chevette (bone stock) many years ago. Actually not bad as an econobox. Got over 40mpg on the hiway with 3 people and the A/C on.
But check the front suspension areas, they had a tendency, to rust out. That's why I had to get rid of mine.

Wife had one for years. It was a tough little car. Rear wheel drive, so the only real problem is getting a rear narrowed. You will need to do some tubing in the back end if you want to get any amount of rubber in there. Would be a cool car.

Jack

You are in Georgia,you have neighbors,that weld. If not,find a way to contact RustyRatRod,a B bodies.:prayer:
My good buddy Rob! I talk to him almost everyday. He would probably be happy to help
that thing would fly with even a 318 in it...how heavy is a chevette maybe 2200 lbs?
Yep, right around there. Maybe when Waggon II is done we can line em up! :toothy10:
What you wating for lol If you get started and find out its not for you .. keep the motor and scrap the car you just lost some time
This is true!!:cheers:
I say drive it as is,save some money(on fuel big time)Find the right A-body you really want.JMO:D
The engine is blown up and the transmission slips bad
I had a Chevette (bone stock) many years ago. Actually not bad as an econobox. Got over 40mpg on the hiway with 3 people and the A/C on.
But check the front suspension areas, they had a tendency, to rust out. That's why I had to get rid of mine.
Thanks man, I will definitelyncheck that out!
Wife had one for years. It was a tough little car. Rear wheel drive, so the only real problem is getting a rear narrowed. You will need to do some tubing in the back end if you want to get any amount of rubber in there. Would be a cool car.

Jack

Thanks Jack!

About 10 yrs ago at the Mopar Nats on Brice Rd....there was a big cloud of tire smoke coming from the Burger King parking lot. When I looked over all I saw was a stock looking Chevette. WTH? About an hour later I found the car in a parking lot with the hood up.
Yep, small block under the hood. Stock skinny wheels, stock size tires, little hubcaps, factory bronze paint. The car did not have headers and had a mild engine so it was quiet, no louder than a stock Chevette. The sneaky part was that the dual exhaust (painted flat black) dumped under the car but he had welded a skinny little tail pipe (1-1/2"?) into one of the turn-downs, and run it out the back so it still blew smoke.
Hilarious, one of my favorite sleepers of all time.

About 10 yrs ago at the Mopar Nats on Brice Rd....there was a big cloud of tire smoke coming from the Burger King parking lot. When I looked over all I saw was a stock looking Chevette. WTH? About an hour later I found the car in a parking lot with the hood up.
Yep, small block under the hood. Stock skinny wheels, stock size tires, little hubcaps, factory bronze paint. The car did not have headers and had a mild engine so it was quiet, no louder than a stock Chevette. The sneaky part was that the dual exhaust (painted flat black) dumped under the car but he had welded a skinny little tail pipe (1-1/2"?) into one of the turn-downs, and run it out the back so it still blew smoke.
Hilarious, one of my favorite sleepers of all time.
That is way too cool!!
There is a guy on gbodyforum.com that did one with a sbc. Check it out he has the full build. It's listed under non g body projects.

Here is the link:

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36834#.UR0paaWbOnd

That's definitely way cool and gave me a good idea of what to expect

about 15 years ago a buddy of mine had a 76 chevette with a blown up engine we raided the local junk yard and scored a 3.8 grand national engine for cheap fit in pretty easy and wiring wasnt bad . but talk about some embarassed camaros and mustangs they didnt know what happened , all they knew was they just got beat by a baby blue chevette. lol

about 15 years ago a buddy of mine had a 76 chevette with a blown up engine we raided the local junk yard and scored a 3.8 grand national engine for cheap fit in pretty easy and wiring wasnt bad . but talk about some embarassed camaros and mustangs they didnt know what happened , all they knew was they just got beat by a baby blue chevette. lol

Grand nationals are mean cars. There is one running around here that shows up at the import car shows just to beat em into the ground. Pretty funny to see these kids with LS swapped imports talk big about how his car is a slow old domestic and then get whooped and not have a word to say

-
Back