Summit 408 Short Block??

-
Discontinued sadly. I was excited about that one also. talked to their hp manager, and they gave up on LA cores and they just do magnum now. Sorry.

Screenshot_2016-09-12-21-53-21.png

Thanks Johnny. ATK shows a "ATK SP64 Chrysler 408CI Stroker Short Block -20.5cc Dish Pistons A Block Forged Crank Kit" on their web site. You don't sell that one?

It looks like it's been discontinued... Bummer

LA cores are harder to come by these days. If your a biz, you need to be able to get them easy. This is not the case. But it is with the Magnum engine s now. For a little while at least until the bone yard surplus dries up.
Gettem while you can!

LA cores are harder to come by these days. If your a biz, you need to be able to get them easy. This is not the case. But it is with the Magnum engine s now. For a little while at least until the bone yard surplus dries up.
Gettem while you can!
Exactly...this is why I developed the eagle hemis already....still in production...

I'm on the unknowing side of this.
What does it take to bolt a modern HEMI to a 904/727?

I'm on the unknowing side of this.
What does it take to bolt a modern HEMI to a 904/727?
An ati flexplate and maybe an 1/8 inch bell spacer. Pending converter snout. Thats it! besides getting tricky with the kickdown...or installing a Manual VB.

I see we both are up 24hrs. Lol

Last edited:
I work midnights till 8:30am. I have a little dead down time right now, so.....
FABO TIME!

Gettem while you can!
This is confusing. They can build an LA short block with a cast crank but not a forged crank? That's not caused by a shortage of LA blocks.

This is confusing. They can build an LA short block with a cast crank but not a forged crank? That's not caused by a shortage of LA blocks.

Different companies. BPC makes the cast crank 408 LA engine, ATK makes the forged crank 408 magnums.

69-340-GTS, read some (some) sarcasm with my reply.
But seriously, the surply vs. demand vs. having what you offer vs. getting the materials at a good cost for profit is the playing game.

Then there is how many you think you can sell. No confidence? No offerings.

The last LA was offered when, in what, with how many made vs. the competition? Couple that with how many Mopar muscle/sport/V8 equipped cars since they were basically phased out.

How many people want to hot rod a Cordoba vs. a Duster or other Mopar car from the mid '70's and earlier vs. what is out there from the others? After '74, what Mopar cars are out there that have a following like a Fore Mustang or as varied as a Chevy for V8 performance?

Mopar had a Mirada. WHOOOA! What else? Diplomats? I don't see much in the way of a car that someone would want to do up. And while some do cars less desirable than a Duster or Cuda, there often scoffed soon for doing a smog era ride. I should know having a Magnum. Often the butt of scorn & disdain with comments ranging from why waste your time and money on a worthless POS smog era car?!?!?!

(And now to try and find some resto metal for a Mirada, Magnum, Cordoba etc..... LMAO!)

Somewhat along those lines... If "implied demand" and "actual sales" Were the same thing... I would have retired before i was 30. Consumers can clamor for something non-stop, but will they buy it when it's avail? Guess we'll see in the next few days :)

It was the same deal with the 3g hemi packages...I was assured by many people if i could develop a 3g hemi, with controller, and electronic trans, ready to drop in an old mopar muscle car "I wouldn't be able to keep them in stock" well.... i assure you...I have them in stock.lol

If BPE would built me a 408 short block with a Scat forged crank, Scat H beam rods, with 20.5cc dich Icon pistons that is internally balanced(an available Scat offered stroker kit) for $3100.00 shipped free to me I would buy it. I even have a good early 1972 360 block they could use to build it with or have as a core if the block they supplied me with is a 360 roller cam block.

Somewhat along those lines... If "implied demand" and "actual sales" Were the same thing... I would have retired before i was 30. Consumers can clamor for something non-stop, but will they buy it when it's avail? Guess we'll see in the next few days :)

There is an example of an implied demand that would be an actual sale if they could actually meet the demand.
Since they don't I do plan on giving our clubs supporting speed shop the 1st chance at building me a forged 408 short block this weekend at their customer appreciation Mopar Swirl they are putting on though.

It's kind of surprise that BPE builds externally balanced 408 stroker short blocks when most customers would prefer them to be internally balanced.
My guess is that Scat kit is cheaper then the internally balanced one. The machine work is all the same, maybe they could offer custom options like internally balanced or forged components.

You're pretty clearly talking custom built with a laundry list like that. And it's great to build them how you want them, it's just not a pre-built offering. Sorry that my offerings aren't what you're looking for. A crate isn't for everyone, just like a custom built engine isn't required by everyone. I do what i can to support the forum, and the hobby.
I'm sure your engine will turn out great. I hear they do good work, i'm sure you'll be happy with it. Maybe we can do business in the future. Good luck!

You're pretty clearly talking custom built with a laundry list like that. And it's great to build them how you want them, it's just not a pre-built offering. Sorry that my offerings aren't what you're looking for. A crate isn't for everyone, just like a custom built engine isn't required by everyone. I do what i can to support the forum, and the hobby.
I'm sure your engine will turn out great. I hear they do good work, i'm sure you'll be happy with it. Maybe we can do business in the future. Good luck!

You still are in the running, I just want to explore what he can offer for me. He's not a Scat dealer he carries Eagle which means I'll have to source my own parts. Do you offer Scat stroker kits??? Anyway you look at it I still have a few thing I need to purchase so we will be doing business in the future.

You still are in the running, I just want to explore what he can offer for me. He's not a Scat dealer he carries Eagle which means I'll have to source my own parts. Do you offer Scat stroker kits??? Anyway you look at it I still have a few thing I need to purchase so we will be doing business in the future.
sounds good! If you have a Scat PN for the kit i can quote it, I'm not Wholesale with them however.

-
Back