Super Stock wheel arches.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Well. Its done. (Almost) I show up the other day and the Dart is now a "big tire" car and sporting SS wheel openings.

20211127_104133.jpg

There are a few reasons this happened.

Number one. (Its a big one.)

1. It not my car any more....

2. Pops likes it.

3. It allowed for a lot of runt to be cut out vs patched. In fact it will make so we just patch the quarter.

4. Hopefull soon the new blower motor will be done and she will need the big tire on the street. ( asphalt is very slippy)

:steering:

If I remember I will take a beter pic tomorrow. This was just to get a shot of the Nova with the Dart. (Oh yeah, now we actually do own a Nova...) :) Inside the cut wheel lip is hammer formed 1/4 rod. This gives it an almost factory appearance to the cut out.

All in all, I dont hate it and I really thought I would. I told pops to do it when I wasn't around so I wouldn't have to watch but now that its done and I see it. It kinda fits the look of the car. What do you think?
Love it or hate it. Its done now and we aint going back....

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

I like it-fits the car look! The Nova is pretty sweet, too

Last edited:
I'm okay with it.
I seems to suit the stance of the car.
Putting the big '68 style Super Stock hood scoop on it would make the car look more mean IMHO....

That looks badass, also its a 70-72 slant ***.
Thanks I'll be doing the same thing. Hopefully can figure out where it's supposed to be

I would love to see some close up shots of the car, I like the ratty looking ones.
They are more realistic for the common Joe.
10 grand paint jobs are highly over rated IMHO.

I would love to see some close up shots of the car, I like the ratty looking ones.
They are more realistic for the common Joe.
10 grand paint jobs are highly over rated IMHO.
That's why learning the trade is good, I love making a $1000.00 worth of materials look like $10,000 paint job. But I do agree, sometimes a ratty looking car is hard to beat.

Well. Its done. (Almost) I show up the other day and the Dart is now a "big tire" car and sporting SS wheel openings.

View attachment 1715827347

2. Pops likes it.

3. It allowed for a lot of runt to be cut out vs patched. In fact it will make so we just patch the quarter.

4. Hopefull soon the new blower motor will be done and she will need the big tire on the street. ( asphalt is very slippy)

If I remember I will take a beter pic tomorrow. This was just to get a shot of the Nova with the Dart. (Oh yeah, now we actually do own a Nova...) :) Inside the cut wheel lip is hammer formed 1/4 rod. This gives it an almost factory appearance to the cut out.

All in all, I dont hate it and I really thought I would. I told pops to do it when I wasn't around so I wouldn't have to watch but now that its done and I see it. It kinda fits the look of the car. What do you think?

Would you be interested in making templates?

Would you be interested in making templates?

They are not "factory correct" by any means.

They are just what pops thought looked and worked best for us but i think we could make a template depending on what that entails?

Im not sure when I will see the white dart again, probably by next weekend. I will try and take some fresh pics of it and post them here.

that blue car in front of the nova looks nice, that some kind of plymouth?

That's why learning the trade is good, I love making a $1000.00 worth of materials look like $10,000 paint job. But I do agree, sometimes a ratty looking car is hard to beat.
Thing with ratty cars is you aren't worried about scratches, minor dents, mud and dirt...:)
anyway that car has the "racecar on the street' look which probably would have gotten you pulled over by police in the old days...

Do you cut them then roll them to make a lip? any tack welding?

I can only speak for the ones on the white car in my first post.

My (old) car, The "ratty" white dart has mini tubs and the springs moved under the frame.

The super stock wheel arches (like mine) DO REQUIRE cutting AND welding.

We used small diameter rod to finish off the raw cut edge and give it a finished look. Just this is a fair amout of work due to it being "hot" work. You cant hammer form cold bar stock to floppy sheet metal so... yeah. That takes effort.

Next up required opening the back of the mini tub and pushing it back about 6 inches. Again a fair amount of work due to having to make the patchs on the english wheel.

We are running a 29x14.5x15 Hooser DOT slick on a custom with 9 inch ford. centered in the factory wheel opening.

So short answer is yes. Lots of fab work involved to do it like this. Its not just cutting but i cant speak for any other size or shape wheel arches.

I dont think their is a true correct way to do it. As far as I know all the SS cars were taken delivery of before the wheel arches were cut.

let me know if you have trouble finding it, I can message him. His name is Brandon Althoff
I'll have trouble since I won't be on Facebook. I'll see if I can find him another way, if I can't I'll get back to u. Thank you !

View attachment 1715827347

2. Pops likes it.

What size tire is that in back

-
Back