Supercharge Or Turbo?

-
Installed a DSC1 Supercharger Store blower kit on the 71 Duster EFI Slant 6. Even with a 5000 stall converter she's pretty much a slug coming out of the hole. 3105 race weight with fuel and driver. High 1.60/low 1.70 60 fts. With our data logging it takes 1.4 seconds for it to hit 5000 rpm. Time for a trans brake. lol, but first we'll play around with launch techniques. Even though it was our first and only outing in 2010 for the Duster at our local 1/8 mile, she did run a best of 7.19 @ 98 mph.

there are some problems with any forced induction and its mostly reliability. its easier to tune an N/A set up, and it also depends on wich style of induction.. the roots and screws blowers are probably the best 4 acceleration because they make boost at idle.. it is true that they take a little horsepower but that is with any belt driven accessory. powersteering also takes away power.. turbos are cool but theres a lot of time and money invested in a set up with turbos you have to keep in mind turbo lag... you might not develope boost till later gears... centrifugal blowers r probably easier to set up... but like a turbo u have to wait for that boost..... keep in mind these set ups add more weight to the car

A properly sized turbo will give you very streetable attributes. I increased my downpipe and lost alot of turbo lag. This is just one example of what could be wrong with a setup. I've left the line at 23 lbs of boost and best 60' is a 1.53 w/ a 2.76 gear. This is footbraking it and no line lock. It all works good if the combo is right. Even NA cars can be hard to tune if the combo ain't right. And let me tell you...there are alot of cars at the strip that should go faster than they do. From my experience, no matter what you build with a turbo, don't go to big on the carb...harder to tune. Don't get rapped up in You Tube vids were they have a huge turbo and sit for 10 seconds till the thing is wound up. Very misleading. It wouldn't be fun to drive for the first 10 secs.

I agree with turbofreek "so much more fun to drive". It's turbos for me!! Later

This will be an ongoing debate forever:book:,but let's face it,most of us are street guys and the WOW factor RULES.PLUS,it's all about the valve covers:thumblef:

Attachments

• 111-1142_IMG.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 228
the debate about wish is the best source for boost will probably never end.
there is advantages and dissadvantages to alll designs, i think that the twinscrews could be the ultimate form of boost, sure they are expensive but not as bad as they used to be on money,modern tools for making the screws have improved alot,one of the biggest problems seems to be the lack of companys manufacturing them and the accessories. however i know that a company is reserching and actively testing some very efficient bigger screws ;)

I have a turbo car, and the "turbo lag" is virtually non-existent, (the reality is it is non-existent, but I am sure someone would argue that, but if we took a ride your opinion may change).

If I need to smoke someone off the line, I just hold the brake and give it a little gas- BUT who wouldn't do that with an automatic and a normally aspirated engine just to get the rpms up?

And to be honest, I typically don't do that because nothing is better than letting someone get the jump and blow by them- at half throttle no less.
The turbo spools quickly and easily.
Regular driving and on the highway it is fuel efficient and well behaved.
At any time I can ease into the pedal and it takes off like a rocket- no 'flooring' the pedal, or 'punching it' required.
I never put the pedal to the floor.

Attachments

• DSC06415.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 179
I say do what you can afford and what you like and have some fun while doing it!!

I have had NA, Centrifugal Supercharger and now Turbo's. I figure why not try them all.

have to ad some thoughts on turbos laging, i would think most of this is something that comes from combos that just dont work very well togheter and most of the bigger problems is something that the 4-5-6cylinders are having due to BIG turbos and small engines that dont move enough exhaust to spool up right until some boost is pressent.
this is something i have seen lots of at localtracks around here there is alot of turbo volvo,bmw and a few japanese cars, some of them works great as dragcars and some of them waits forever on the line to build boost. some V8 cars has this problems aswell but its not as common. when building a serious turbo V8 the harders thing to get right seems to be the converter,has to be loose enough to alove the tubros to spool up and at the same time tight enough that the power just blows thru the converter. milder combinations seem to work very well around here leaving the line good and then pulling very hard at the topend.
for a fun streetcruiser i would just try to find out what combinations others have used and read up on all the whys and hows and understand the whole combination and what makes it work

I say do what you can afford and what you like and have some fun while doing it!!

I have had NA, Centrifugal Supercharger and now Turbo's. I figure why not try them all.
Reportedly up to 73% efficient @ approx 55k rpm. "Supposed" to take up to 25 psi. Interestingly, no one has mentioned underhood temp's with turbo's or air inlet temp increases. All blowers heat the inlet air, some more than others. To me., a centrifugal seems most like a LARGE turbo,(compressor side), driven by belt instead of exh pressure. Sometimes "under pressure", is good. ateam :twisted:

-
Back