Survivor 1972 Dodge D100 found.....

-
Started on removing and cleaning the interior lats night. Seat and steering wheel were very easy to remove. Plan to clean and wax all the interior just like the out side since the ceiling, doors and fllor are painted instead if having any panels or liners installed. I'm torn between installing the Rim-Blow steering wheel or the old Grant, either way, I will have to get horn buttons/adaptors. Under that steering wheel was some serious "crud" built up over 38years. The window tint came off easily with straight blade razor and laquer thinner, it was very dry and brittle when it came off. The seat appears to have come from a newer truck and is not the original. The side panels were dyed black. I have a new tweed type cover I will eventually use.

000_1619.jpg

000_1621.jpg

000_1623.jpg

000_1624.jpg

000_1625.jpg

000_1626.jpg

000_1628.jpg

000_1629.jpg

000_1630.jpg

Looking great Jeff. Amazing what a little elbow grease does to these old cars and trucks of ours.
I would just love to have a set of door panels like that, metal. Mine in the 75 PW are about shot.

That truck looks Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the wheels.... personally I like the truck with the white spoke wheels you have on it now.
I like ALL old trucks, I used to have a few, 59 chevy Apache, 51 Ford, 56 Ford, 58 GMC, 84 Ram short box 4x4.
A friend has a 56 Dodge I would like to get hold of, but the $$$ just isn't there right now. its in Great shape.

Over this weekend my son and I used a friends Dremel and cut off the small, 1-inch welds that were on the bumper brackets. Why they were there, we don't have a clue since it was securely bolted in place as well. I also satin black painted the rear axle, shocks, and leaf spring hangers. Today I polished out the tailgate and then waxed it. However I decided to mask off where the old bumper stickers had been and left their marks. Gives the truck some "personality" and adds to its 'survivor' look I think. I will add the new license plate lights next weekend. The first picture should show the truck as we found it with the old bumper in place, ugly!
I also removed the rotted out tailpipe, from just inches behind the muffler. It was like Swiss cheese it had sooo many holes. But the bumper change and wax job did wonders for the rears appearance.
I didn't get to the interior like I thought I would but that will be started over the 4th of July weekend.
BTW, the chrome bumper cost me $35 at the local pick-and-pull.

100_0937.jpg

000_1648.jpg

000_1649.jpg

000_1650.jpg

000_1651.jpg

000_1658.jpg

000_1659.jpg

Holy crap, you changed the steering wheel while going almost 100 mph!!!

Nice looking truck, nice work :cheers:

Today I worked more on gutting the interior of the truck. Pulled up the floor mat and found that the floors had been patched much more than I originaly thought. The metal seems to have been coated as well to prevent further rust. \
I also pulled the headlights to add the chrome "brows" when I found a nest of some sort behind the passenger side. No hair or feathers, so I'm not sure what it came from.
I spent today adding a different bed box to replace the ugly white metal one that was there and I further worked on cleanin gthe inside. My son and I went to the local "pick-and-pull" and took a speedo cable and headlight brackets from a 74 van. We also scored some better shape door sill pieces. The old one that I painted black were just in too bad a shape.

000_1663.jpg

000_1665.jpg

000_1666.jpg

000_1667.jpg

000_1668.jpg

000_1669.jpg

Lookin good Jef. How do you find time to work on both rides? I can't seem to find time for the Dart, let-a-long my Power Wagon.

Good score! And your right. That truck wouldn't look good with anything but those wagon wheel rims!

I happen to have found the "time" to work on this truck due to the fact that I am currently on 2 weeks of leave, (vacation) from the Army. I have used virtually all my time working around the house/yard and on the vehicles we have, none of which I mind in the least.
These three pictures are of the drivers door after I wiped it down and then polished it out, just like the exterior. I then exchanges the ugly white steel bed box that was on it for a diamond plate box I was useing on my utility trailer. I also added headlight "eyebrows" to the truck which I found through JC Whitney, kinda giving it a "retro" look. We've had two days of rain here but it finally stopped this evening and as it was getting dark, I went outside and polished out the hood of the truck as it was getting dark, but at least the hood was cool to the touch so it made the work easier. I'll try and post a picture of it later on. I still want to get the stainless window visors mounted this weekend as well.
I also plan to reseal around the top of the winshield as I found it leaks pretty badly from the past two days rains. I picked up two door sill plates that I'll polish out and install over the weekend as well. This week I want to go back to the pick-and-pull and get a tailpipe with chrome tip I found previously. Hopefully it wont already be gone.

000_1672.jpg

000_1673.jpg

000_1674.jpg

Very nice =P~, How did I mis this thread :clock:
Glad you stayed with the stock version wheels :cheers:
I am always keeping an eye out for a ramcharger or a truck that body stile.
Keep the good work up 8) Looking great.

Well as the sun set this evening my wife and I put the Ez-Up over the D100 so that the roof would stay cooler tomorrow so I can polish and wax it. I also hope to get the windshield sealed across its top as well.
But it seems that first I will run out to the Pick-and-Pull and see if I can find some original lugnuts for our 2007 Ram. Today the front tire had a nail in it and my wife has misplaced/lost the locking lugnut key. When she took the truck to the local Discount Tire, they had to cut/break off all the locks before they could fix the tire. I wasn't there to see how they did it, but they didn't hurt the studs thank goodness.
While I'm at the yard I might as well look for a few more Dart and D100 parts! Who knows what I might find?!?!

000_1676.jpg

This is from "EvilScamps" collection of Carlisle 2010 pictures, a 1971 RoadRunner. I hadn't seen a muscle car done up in "Butterscotch" coloring but it looks awesome! Sure would look good in my driveway next to my 72, D100, haha.

Butterscotch 71 RR.jpg

Ditto on the white wagon wheels....They blend nicely with the two tone white.
Gotta ask, was that just a wax job that brought the paint back to life? If so, what did you use?

ZooKypr

Zookypr,
I use Kit, Scratch Out as a polish before applying Meguirs carnuba wax. This is what we have used on the 74 Dart Swinger we found from the original owners as well. While it does a good job of cleaning and shining the paint, I always apply a coat of quality wax after I clean/polish the paint. I also use the Kit on just about everything on the car from wheels, to engine, to trunk area and engine bay.
Today my son and I went back to the pick-and-pull and snatched up another speedo cable from a 78 van and a speedo cable clip, (in the picture) from a 74 van. We hope that between the 3 cables we now have, that we can make one good one. We also removed a chrome exhaust tip and tail pipe from a truck that I will install on the truck this week.
Monday I plan to seal the upper edge of the windshield to prevent any further rain leaking in that area. I will post some pictures of that work as well.

000_1681.jpg

000_1678.jpg

Been busy the past few days mainly continueing to polish and wax out the D100 and attend my sons Junior Midget District Baseball games. Yesterday I did the inside of the passenger door and both the roof and hood. Also installed the speedo cable from the van I found. I'll have to drive the vehicle later this week to see if it does indeed work but I'm being positive that it will.
Today I didn't neglect the Dart, and pulled the cover off and gave her a good wash and detailing. Do you think anyone driving by wonders where our brand loyalty lies with vehicles when they see these three plus our 2007 Ram 1500 quad-cab out front?!?!?

000_1682.jpg

000_1683.jpg

000_1685.jpg

000_1686.jpg

Man, that truck is beautiful still. Looking good! It looks better than most trucks from the 80s even!

I was up late last night getting this exhaust tip installed useing flood lights under the truck. I got started and was determined not to stop until it was done. Found the chrome exhaust tip and about 5 feet of nearly new exhaust pipe which it was welded too laying under an old dodge truck at the local pick-and-pull. That same day we found 4 like new rubber tips for the sun visors, a MOPAR horn button in a van, and a speedo cable in that same van.
The old tail pipe from the muffler back was like swiss cheese and was actually drooping under its own weight behind the rear axle. I decided to cut it off behind the muffler and just turn it out so it would exit right in front of the driver side rear wheel. I was in Auto Zone a few days ago buying a new battery for our 07 Ram, and while buying the new exhaust clamps I saw that these slash-cut, chrome tips sell for $22.99 a piece! I paid $1 per foot for the tail pipe and chrome tip, $6 total and I think it turned out pretty good.
I still have to polish and wax out the passenger side of the truck which will explain it's dull look compared to the rest of the truck.
Friday I plan to finish polishing out the interior which is only the ceiling at this point. I'll "gently" scrub up the visors and reinstall them as well. Then reinstall the old rubber floor mats which I have already cleaned up.

000_1688.jpg

000_1689.jpg

000_1690.jpg

Two things i've noticed about 72- 79 dodge trucks are the roof seam above the windshield are notorious for rust.

I have a 79 d150 that doesn't have that issue. Alot of people that have trucks of that era repainted and don't notice that there are two tiny drain holes in the "rain gutter" that are suppost to allow the rain to drain off the roof, after its painted rain can't drain so it rusts, but he won't have that issue if he lives in texas

-
Back