T-56 Magnum 6 speed manual transmission EARLY A-BODIES!!!

-

Tjfly4pay

1964 Valiant Conv.
Reaction score
Ok folks...

Who would be interested in installing a modern high performance 6 speed (T-56 MAGNUM) transmission in their A-bodies??? Yes, including the EARLY A-BODIES!!!
I am offering the conversion parts (torsion bar frame support, and transmission mount, and hardware for these cars. Currently I am offering these components for $699 plus shipping.
These parts are AUTOCAD drawn, CNC laser cut, for excellent fit.
Let me know your thoughts.

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations

what motor?
what bellhousing?
shifter location?
pics of before, during, after

some info?

Super!!! I took a few hours today getting some additional dimensions. My plans for this kit would also help the space, on the passenger side, for dual exhaust. I am very excited about this project.
We did our conversion on a small block 1969 Barracuda. I am also working on a 1963 Valiant Conv. with a small block. It should be perfect for the big blocks as well.
These parts will make putting a T-56 MAGNUM much easier!! There is cutting to the floor...but it is WELL WORTH IT!!! Todd
Search ToddRon Restorations on Facebook.
I have many pictures, and an install guide there.
Thanks

I'm interested, too. But what are we talking about for the full conversion in terms of things to do? I'm assuming getting the exact right T56, but what about hydraulic clutch and throwout? Which type of clutch disc? Flywheel differences? I just want to get a solid overall picture of what I'll need to do to so I don't fall victim to scope creep like I normally do. I'm getting older and smarter.

Hahaha!!! I totally understand!!! We converted from a 727 to the MAGNUM TRANSMISSION. We had pedals to get, clutch system (hydraulic. SWEET!!!), bellhousing, pilot bushing, flywheel, clutch, and driveshaft.
There are a number of sources for these parts. Gray at American Powertrain has got a huge wealth of knowledge... He is a MOPAR guy!! Summit sells these parts as well. Bruce at Modern Driveline is a great guy as well, and the person we used for our big parts.
I think all told, we had $5500 in our transmission parts.
I cannot stress enough how wonderful this transmission is!!!
I hope this answered some questions.... I will add as much as possible to any question.
Thanks for all of your interest. I can't wait to finish all these details. I know our a-bodies seem to be the most overlooked MOPAR, and I am trying to change that with offering this kit for the A-bodies FIRST!!! Thanks again.... TODD

At $5500 for the complete conversion, the easy availability of the T56 didn't seem to translate into real cost savings. Passon's A855 five speed is listed at $4995 with shifter and rods and would bolt up to any production bellhousing and not require any cutting at all unless doing a conversion from auto. Granted the latter would still be using the mechanical clutch linkage instead of the superior hydraulic but I'm still down the road for less and with a new trans vs. a good used one. Cudos one your efforts to improve the availability of choices for our early cars.

I thought Passon's was going to be $4200???? Steve

The trans. itself is only $2800 ish. There are options on the bell housing, and clutch etc.
Jamie's product is nice.... But it does not compare with the strength of the T-56 Magnum.
This transmission (t-56) shifts like a transmission should shift. The internal, single rod shifting is the best on the market today.
To do much with our transmissions in our MOPARS, the transmission tunnel is a huge limiting factor.
I would be slightly reluctant if I had a high $$$ rare MOPAR.
Still the best update we have seen for bringing our old cars into the Modern Wolrd.
Todd

Sorry for my ignorance - what's a T-56 "Magnum"? Where can they be found?

Tremec makes the t56 Magnum.
It is the aftermarket version of the 6060 transmission
Used in the SRT Challenger, the Viper, the ZR1 Corvette etc.
Summit Racing has them. Todd

Sorry for my ignorance - what's a T-56 "Magnum"? Where can they be found?

How does this T-56 Magnum differ from the stock T-56 that is in my 1996 Z28? Because I hurt my T-56 pretty bad at the drag strip just by missing 3rd and getting 5th instead. The whole trans had to come apart.

Jamie's 5 speed looks pretty darn strong from the pictures I saw in Mopar Action a couple years back.

I know a little about the Tremec 6 spd since one passed thru my hands 10 yrs ago. I sold it for $750 on ebay. DHL shipped it to me after losing the auto tranny I was awaiting. They wouldn't take it back, so I told them I would sell it and they said fine. The input splines vary between Viper and GM models. The Viper version has better internals. There are different factory bell-housings to mount to various engines, plus after-market ones. The shifter is on the top rear, a hole in a rod. I used a socket extension in the hole to shift it and check all the gears. I didn't have my A's and wasn't doing hobby car stuff then, so didn't really consider using it.

Ok folks...

Who would be interested in installing a modern high performance 6 speed (T-56 MAGNUM) transmission in their A-bodies??? Yes, including the EARLY A-BODIES!!!
I am offering the conversion parts (torsion bar frame support, and transmission mount, and hardware for these cars. Currently I am offering these components for $699 plus shipping.
These parts are AUTOCAD drawn, CNC laser cut, for excellent fit.
Let me know your thoughts.

Todd Johnson
ToddRon Restorations

My impression is that you have created a really nice conversion setup. For the early A's (at least) I would encourage you to also create a solution for the A500 which is much more affordable.

keep up the good work,
Mike

Yes indeed.... The 500 and 518 seem to get quite a bit of attention. I have actually done this conversion in my 1964 Valiant Conv. I had installed a 94 Dodge Ram drivetrain in my car. I used all the factory electronics, utilizing the cruise control, the 518 lock up trans., as well as the A/C. I ran my car like this for 6 or 7 years. It worked very well, and never set off any trouble codes.
This setup did have somewhat of an issue. Although I tried several solutions, the car ran fine, but did not have the acceleration that I thought it should. It felt like I had a trailer hitched to the back of my car. I tried so many things to fix it. I installed a VIPER ( that is the brand name) expensive torque converter.... MP shift kit, new 3.91 rear end.... TTI headers and full 3" exhaust, different injectors, different ECU. Still if felt slow to accelerate.
I wanted to keep the OD.... Since that was very helpful in running the car down the road at 80 MPH. After shaking my head for far too long, thinking maybe i was down on POWER, I reluctantly pulled out the Magnum engine, and replaced it will a 340 I had from another car. This engine had run 11's in the quarter mile.
I thought " now this thing will run like I expect".... Oh boy!!!
Although I certainly could feel the difference in power.... It was so much better.... But still, not impressive. It STILL felt as if I was towing a trailer. Needless to say, I was totally pissed!! I had just done the 6 speed conversion on my 69 Cuda.... I had pulled the 727 out.. It was on the floor..... You guessed it!!! I once again, reluctantly pulled the 518 out of my Valiant, and put the 727 in its place.
OH MY!!! This little car was not even in the same universe, performance wise.
Although I have not run it down the track, it is easily in the 11's. I would say the transmission was slowing the car 2.5 to 3 seconds easily!!
So that is why I steer people away from the 500 and 518. I did it... I lived it... I learned.
This car is a complete blast to drive now.... But wait.... Now I have a difficult time cruising at much more than 55 MPH.
The 518/500 have a .69 overdrive and mine had the functional lock up.... And that was good on the highway.... But the 6 speed conversion has a better gear ratio all around.
I have a gear ratio chart that I will try to post here to give people a better idea... But in the 69, the .63 OD in the MAGNUM T-56 is fantastic!!
I later talked to several BIG NAME transmission shops about the 518/500. They say that the overdrive that chrysler used on the back of the 727/904 to create these 518/500 trannies was really the cause. How so?? The reciprocating mass. 727/904 has around 5 lbs of it.... The 518/500 about 30 lbs. !!!! They told me if I wanted to have any performance at all.... I would need to get rid of the 518.
If there are any questions about this, please let me know.... I would never use a 518/500 in one of my cars again....EVER!! Hahaha. Thanks for listening!!
Rant over.... Todd

Although you might have knowledge about "the Tremec 6 spd" from 10 years ago..... That was certainly NOT the t-56 Magnum.
Tremec has been making transmissions for years, for many different applications. Some are better than others, or more importantly, some are designed to handle more horsepower than others.
Just FWIW. THANKS. TODD

I know a little about the Tremec 6 spd since one passed thru my hands 10 yrs ago. I sold it for $750 on ebay. DHL shipped it to me after losing the auto tranny I was awaiting. They wouldn't take it back, so I told them I would sell it and they said fine. The input splines vary between Viper and GM models. The Viper version has better internals. There are different factory bell-housings to mount to various engines, plus after-market ones. The shifter is on the top rear, a hole in a rod. I used a socket extension in the hole to shift it and check all the gears. I didn't have my A's and wasn't doing hobby car stuff then, so didn't really consider using it.

While I am far from a transmission expert, I can say that like so many things.... Technology allows things to be designed today better than 5 to 6 years ago.
This transmission is very different than the standard t56's from the past. Why they retained the T-56 designator, I'll never know.... But this one is the MAGNUM.... THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS TRY TO CLEAR THAT DETAIL.
thanks again!!! Todd

How does this T-56 Magnum differ from the stock T-56 that is in my 1996 Z28? Because I hurt my T-56 pretty bad at the drag strip just by missing 3rd and getting 5th instead. The whole trans had to come apart.

Jamie's 5 speed looks pretty darn strong from the pictures I saw in Mopar Action a couple years back.

This shows the OVERALL gear ratio for the various rear end ratio and transmission combinations.
Tell me what you guys think!!
Todd

Attachments

• Gearratiochart1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 754
  • Gearratiochart2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 759
I'll try again using JPG.

Attachments

• Gearratiochart1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 766
  • Gearratiochart2.jpg