T-56 Transmission Install Thread

-
I guess that's not actually too bad, though it does seem like an awful lot for two pieces of bent plate, even with the tech knowledge behind it. You know the materials only cost them probably $20 if that. I kept trying to find just the bracket and all I ever found was the kit with the master. I don't really think the master they offer with the kit should add $200 to the price, but I suppose you have to markup the parts to make money one way or the other. Adding the slave adds another $200 too...

Ok, so i have been reading this thread and I really want to do the swap.. especially now that my 904 is taking a ****. I have a few questions... I am putting the t56 in my 69 Dart, what is the best/ least amount of fabrication t56 to get? Also, what do i need as far as pedals and slave cylinder go?

Thanks!

Trans, you cant go wrong with a Viper takeout. Next up is a $2700 T56Magnum. Magnum use a 31 spline C6 Ford slip yoke for whatever reason. The Viper trans locates the shifter 1" rearward of stock A body. Abody is 26" Viper is 27" block to shifter. Hydraulic clutch is the way to go. Use a Viper slave and whatever you decide for a master, LS1 Camaro setup,Keisler, AP or wharever you choose. I did this with mine.

Attachments

• master 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,805
  • master 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,779
Just a tidbit. Have driven car a little bit, fuel pump issues have held me back, and the pedal ratio seems dead nuts on if not a tad more travel than needed. Also on my Big Block had to shim the starter with 2 .045 machine washers to get it clear of the flywheel. Starter wouldnt disengage from flywheel. So far so good in the trans dept. though.

"The Viper trans locates the shifter 1" rearward of stock A body. Abody is 26" Viper is 27" block to shifter"

I have been looking at the used Viper T56 6 speeds on line.
As per your statement above, I understand that the T56 trans will move the shifter centerline 1" rearward but it must also move over to the left as the shifter comes off the top of the trans instead of the side like a 833?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyone have pictures of the four speed hump before and after the installation of a T56?
:burnout:

Shifter is dead center in trans tunnel. 4spd hump can be removed and the hole filled in.

That's what I thought, just wanted confirmation.
So using a center console would still work as long as you relocate it and I wouldn't need that crazy offset shifter.
Looks like there are several short throw shifters that could be used.

Anyone have pictures of the shifter in a car with a T56?
do you have to make a longer shifter? all the T56 shifters i see look awful short.

You can use any handle you choose. You could use your original handle if you desire. The shifter mechanism you want is an 03-04 Mustang Cobra, I used a Hurst version of one of those with a Longacre handle.

So I may have a shot at finally picking up a T56 for my build, but I had some questions regarding the clutch. The clutch listed on the first post here comes back at 21 splines, but the information I'm finding on the T56 is that it's either a 26 or 10 spline shaft (depending on which model). Can anyone confirm their clutch part numbers for me?

As far as clutch and pressure plates are concerned, I assume they must be fairly standard and not necessarily too brand dependent (ie. a 10.5" clutch and pressure plate will bolt to any flywheel designed for a 10.5, Chevy, Mopar, or otherwise)? I've already got a 4 speed in my car now, so I have the flywheel already if this is the case. Technically speaking I could possibly reuse the pressure plate I have as well, but I've read mixed thoughts on that one.

OK, after a lot of searching I finally found a T56 six speed to use but I have a few questions. Trans came from a 2008 SRT 8 Challenger.
1) This trans comes complete with following parts;
- Aluminum flywheel.
- Dual disc clutch.
- Bell housing.
- Complete shifter.
Which of the above parts do I need for a 340 and whats the value of the parts i don't need?
2) Should I keep the stock Challenger hydraulic throw out bearing?
3) What should I use for a front drive shaft yoke? The stock challenger one seams to use a flange type setup.
4) Whats a fair price for this complete package? Just don't want to spend more than I should be.
:burnout:

Attachments

• 08 SRT T56 1.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 08 SRT T56 2.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 08 SRT T56 3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,217
I'd say pretty much everything in your top picture is what you should sell. The flywheel and clutch package won't work with your smallblock (3G Hemi specific). Same goes for the bellhousing. Those all use a larger tooth count (143 I believe), and won't fit in the A body tunnel from what I hear. The shifter is more personal choice, but from the look of it it mounts pretty far back. Would probably be better off with a direct mount shifter that has the stick coming right out of the access panel on the tailshaft.

Is anyone using the stock hydraulic clutch or aftermarket stuff?
I am also finding lots of complaints about gear noise at idle and 2nd-3rd gear shifts with the t56 trans. Not sure about the TS6060's.

I use a factory Viper slave, 2006 and down, and a Wilwood 7/8" bore master. Works excellent. Measure that flywheel, I bet it 10.5" and the discs are 9.5". Looks like a Mcleod RXT. I may be interested in the flywheel. You need a T56 to LA bell and a 10.5" LA flywheel.

Hello. I am considering a 5.7 hemi or LS1 (or 2) for a future car project. Do all these transmissions mount up the same (minus the bellhousing of course)? Another member is selling a kit to swap t56 transmissions into Abodies and he has stated its for the Ford t56. Would I have to use the t56 for the ford or do all of them have the same mounting location? Thanks for any help and sorry if I missed the answer somewhere on the forum.

As far as I know they all have the same mounting configuration. The difference's are the input shaft length. The Viper is longer than the LS ones and the LT ones.

Riddler

Viper/LS have same input shaft length. LT1's dont have the front adapter plate on the trans, and that is where the difference is. I wouldnt use an LT1 version since they were not designed to take more than about 300 ft/lbs. I dont know where a Ford T56 comes into play other than the 03/04's have a 10 spline input I believe and also use a funky slave setup. The T56 Magnum's use a Ford C6 slip yoke but on the front side they're Viper/LS.

Isnt there quite a lot of tunnel surgery to get one of these in an A body?

$799 for that kit,plus maybe $1200 to $1500 for the trans,plus incidentals at maybe $500 +...expensive route.

If you run coil overs there is no need to spend the money on this kit--I think we still can have a opinion here in the good old usa but this is way over engineered,I could see this in a alcohol blow car where g-forces are stupid but there is no reason this can't be in the $200 to $300 dollar range--But this is only my opinion that's all,to each his own--Steve

I use a factory Viper slave, 2006 and down, and a Wilwood 7/8" bore master. Works excellent. Measure that flywheel, I bet it 10.5" and the discs are 9.5". Looks like a Mcleod RXT. I may be interested in the flywheel. You need a T56 to LA bell and a 10.5" LA flywheel.

Are you using the hydraulic part on the trans to move the throw out bearing?

Okay, I've officially started this swap as there is now a gaping hole in my floorboard where a transmission used to go. Was surprised just how far forward I had to cut to clear the bellhousing and trans. Anyway, I'm back on the driveshaft question and wanted to see if anyone else had some info. When I measured my 833 vs my new Viper T56 (out of a 2000 from what I'm told), I get a difference of right around 3.875" from the face of the bellhousing (not the trans) to the end of the tailshaft (the mainshaft of the trans, not the housing). I figured I'd just get my driveshaft cut down 4" (if I can find a place to do it around here), but wanted to see if anyone else had done similar measurements on a similar trans.

-
Back