tach...how to make it work

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After working on getting the tach to work properly for 3 hours and talking with Tincup, and a phone call to dakota digital, it finally works. Here's the parts that you will need, assuming that you are using a wiring harness from hotwire, bouchillon, or s&p.

MSD GMR Pickup (part# 8918)​
and Dakota Digital SGI-8 Tach Signal Interface

Set your tach to 4 cyl
set the dakota digital to 2cyl and the dip switches as follows, 1 and 2 on, 3 and 4 off, the green light will flash 2 times to indicate it's set at 2 cyl. Hope this will help and dont forget to wire it first,lol!

I can share information also how to get OEM tach work with FAST XFI/XIM unit:

-The crank sensor output wire from XFI connector 30-A3 (brown-white) need to split and connect to the tacho coil -. New aftermarket tachos fill read it directly, put old mopar tachos will need updated inserts. I bought mine from RTE-engineering (http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/Main_Page) and after pretty easy installation but little longer calibration it worked fine.

-They also sell electronic voltage limiters which is good update for hemi´s 130A alternator output.

After working on getting the tach to work properly for 3 hours and talking with Tincup, and a phone call to dakota digital, it finally works. Here's the parts that you will need, assuming that you are using a wiring harness from hotwire, bouchillon, or s&p.

MSD GMR Pickup (part# 8918)​

Set your tach to 4 cyl
set the dakota digital to 2cyl and the dip switches as follows, 1 and 2 on, 3 and 4 off, the green light will flash 2 times to indicate it's set at 2 cyl. Hope this will help and dont forget to wire it first,lol!

I assume this works for aftermarket Tachs such as autometer - same process?

MSD GMR Pickup (part# 8918)

Set your tach to 4 cyl

I know this is an old post and excuse me for digging it up from the dead. But I'm in the process of doing this now and can't find any information as to which coil I hook to? Does it mater or can I hook up to any one of them?
Thanks

I put it on the number 8 cylinder coil pack.

-
Back