tail light making me crazy

-

Jp5

Reaction score
anyone got the fix up their sleeve?

headlights work, tail lights work, right rear signal works, right rear brake light works. left rear tail light works but left rear signal and brake lights don't work. both front signals work.

so to put it simpler. all my lights work except rear left signal and brake.

got any ideas?

thanks again to everyone who responds to this stuff.

jp

Check the output of the TS switch for that wire, and if that is good, check the kick panel connector for the rear harness

What year is your car? you have a diagram? Manual?

I would check it at the 8 cavity plug connector at the base of the column, should be a dark green wire (most Chryslers use that color ) for the left side , the brake and turn signal use the same wire for the left rear .
As 67Dart273 suggested to use a factory wiring diagram to check your year/model for that circuit.
If it doesn't have a signal there then you have a bad turn signal switch.
If it does you need to work your way back from there and find the bad connector or wire.

i had a simular issue.i added a ground wire to the housing to a good ground.worked ever since

Most tail /brake turn signal bulbs use a dual element bulb and share grounds . But need to check factory wiring for model specific.

Most tail /brake turn signal bulbs use a dual element bulb and share grounds . But need to check factory wiring for model specific.OP said tail lights OK

thanks, folks.
i suspect a ground issue and especially now that i see your feedback. i'll try adding one to the housing and see what happens. btw it's a 65 valiant and yup, got the wire diagram.

i'll report back.

problem solved! went through all my wires again from the plug back. all terminals tested out properly but i still couldn't get the lights to function properly. added an extra ground but that didn't solve it. turns out that after i tested the wires the first time i must have slipped the socket back onto the wires reversed, putting the taillight wire to the blinker filament and the blinker wire to the tail light filament. switched them back and eureka, everything works as it should. live and learn.

-
Back