Taking the Barracuda to the track tonight

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
Well I never fixed my blinker, so I borrowed my old trailer from a friend and I am going to load up go to the track tonight.

Here is the build.

1965 Barracuda with glass hood and fenders
1974 225 .030 over
Block has been decked .100
Head has been shaved .040, some port work with 1.77/1.44 valves
Ported valve reliefs
Erson cam lift 290/297 dur. 266/254.
2bbl Holly 350
Boss Hogg 3300 stall Torque Converter.
8 1/4 with 4.10's and a suregrip
It has an Electric fan controlled by a thermostat
single 2 1/4 inch exhaust

I don't know what she will weigh or how fast she will go. I will be on cloud 9 if I can get a 15 sec slip!!
I wish I had Memike's airbox!

What do you guys think? Anyone here familiar with racing slants?

Looking forward to hear how your fun day went, Even just being at the track for a few passes would put me on cloud 9
I hope you enjoyed your day at the track

yea i really need a tranny before i can race mine! i have to be nice to it so i don't lose my daily driver... once i get the tranny and diff in mine should break 13's...

Thanks Bayyum and Memike. I got rained out. Had to turn around half way there.

The car is still on the trailer. I will try again on Saturday if weather permits.8)

What is your build 805moparkid?

From the looks of your build 15's should be a cakewalk. I've seen Slant cars run mid 14's without a whole lot more than that.

Thanks Bayyum and Memike. I got rained out. Had to turn around half way there.

The car is still on the trailer. I will try again on Saturday if weather permits.8)

What is your build 805moparkid?
Sorry to hear the weather shut the races down.
I can remember George Ray saying those words "If weather permits"
I hope all goes well this Saturday for ya 340 Dart

Sorry to hear the weather shut the races down.
I can remember George Ray saying those words "If weather permits"
I hope all goes well this Saturday for ya 340 Dart

Thanks Mike!!

From the looks of your build 15's should be a cakewalk. I've seen Slant cars run mid 14's without a whole lot more than that.

Thanks alot. That is refreshing to hear, especially coming from someone so familiar with racing slants. :cheers:

Well I took it out last night to see what the little slant would do and got in 3 runs before I developed an oil pan leak and put it back on the trailer.

The car weighed 2650 with me and a half tank of gas.

I tried launching at different RPM's and different tire pressures but I couldn't get any traction at the line with the SG and 4.10's and my best 60' was 2.36.

1st run : 17.1 at 78mph with Tammy in car with me. Launched off idle and shifted at 4,000rpm. Broke traction at line 2.38 60'

2nd run: 16.8 at 80.3. Launched at 2,000 rpm shifted at 4,500. Broke traction at line 2.36 60'.

3rd run: 16.6 at 80.8. Launched at 1,500 rmp shifted at 5,000. Broke traction at line 2.36 60'. I took off the air cleaner and bumped the timing up a little.

It was a lot of fun! It has been 2 years since we taken anything down the track!

With the lack of traction and the current restrictions on the engine, I am very pleased! :-D

With that cam you should be getting at least 5500-6000rpm out of her.
with a slightly hotter than stock cam I used to shift at 5200rpm.

The car weighed 2650 with me and a half tank of gas.

You really got the weight down on that Cuda. My 66 Valiant is stripped/gutted, but all steel, and no hood, but weighs 2690 with me , and 5 gal gas.

My 66 Cuda full street legal, with no lightening, is 3250

What are you using for tires? Time for some slicks or DOT legals?

Sounds like with some traction and tuning 15's will be a sure thing.

You will need to keep upping your shift points. Short shifting a Slant really kills ET because they don't have enough grunt to recover the RPM loss.

You may end up in the 56-5800 range or so.

I shift my junk at 6500 w/the spray on.

I am happy to hear you got to get back on the track after 2 years 340 Dart:cheers:
You have some good /6 guru's here helping and cheering you on.
Victoria 170/ full dress with spare and small tool kit and a 6 pack on ice in the trunk was put on two different scales and with OUT!! me in it
and her weight 2.740 .
Keep at it and us updated 340 Dart.

It felt good didn't it =P~=P~ :cheers:

Right on, any day at the track is a good day. I think you had a very successful day and now you have a baseline to work with. Your MPH indicates your making enough power to get ya into the fifteens and more, you just need to get it to hook. Good luck in the future with it.

With that cam you should be getting at least 5500-6000rpm out of her.
with a slightly hotter than stock cam I used to shift at 5200rpm.
She never nosed over but I didn't want to hurt it or push my luck.

You really got the weight down on that Cuda. My 66 Valiant is stripped/gutted, but all steel, and no hood, but weighs 2690 with me , and 5 gal gas.
My 66 Cuda full street legal, with no lightening, is 3250
What are you using for tires? Time for some slicks or DOT legals?
It has fabbed door panels, no armrests (never found any), no kick panels (Member screwed me), manual steering, manual breaks (discs though), no headliner but does have all seats and carpet. I think I got some pics.
The tires were just little ole 205/65/15's.

Sounds like with some traction and tuning 15's will be a sure thing.

You will need to keep upping your shift points. Short shifting a Slant really kills ET because they don't have enough grunt to recover the RPM loss.

You may end up in the 56-5800 range or so.

I shift my junk at 6500 w/the spray on.
Holy moly! I asked about shift points somewhere but couldn't get an answer so I tried to err on the side of caution.
It never occured to me I could be short shifting it so much.

I am happy to hear you got to get back on the track after 2 years 340 Dart:cheers:
You have some good /6 guru's here helping and cheering you on.
Victoria 170/ full dress with spare and small tool kit and a 6 pack on ice in the trunk was put on two different scales and with OUT!! me in it
and her weight 2.740 .
It felt good didn't it =P~=P~ :cheers:

That is pretty light Mike! I will keep you updated! You going to take Victoria out to George's when it gets warmer?

Right on, any day at the track is a good day. I think you had a very successful day and now you have a baseline to work with. Your MPH indicates your making enough power to get ya into the fifteens and more, you just need to get it to hook. Good luck in the future with it.

Thanks! I believe it will get there also. I even think we will get there after we install it into the heavier car.
That was my only run in this car with that engine.
It comes out to go into the Wife's 66 Dart GT. One day it will get headers and a better intake. The slant will continue to go down the track. Don't worry. :-D

The Barracuda is destined to get a new 340/904 that is finished already and has been patiently waiting for this timeslip with the slant. :cheers:

Now I got work to do.

Yes I sure am 340 Dart :cheers: I will be there opening day and do my best not to miss a weekend 8) I will be donating my day there to help anywhere Bonnie needs me and try and dominate the 1/8 mile 9.0 class in Victoria :-D

Yes I sure am 340 Dart :cheers: I will be there opening day and do my best not to miss a weekend 8) I will be donating my day there to help anywhere Bonnie needs me and try and dominate the 1/8 mile 9.0 class in Victoria :-D
Isn't that like 14.0 in the quarter? Cool! :cheers: Your going to have her cooking!

Update:

I had a bout of insomnia the other night and couldn't sleep so I pulled the Barracuda in the garage and pulled the slant and tranny out of her.

I dropped in the new 340 and tranny yesterday afternoon, put the hood on it and pushed it back into the driveway so I could have some room in the garage. I will finish everything and get her running next week when I am done with the Dart.
In the next week or so I am putting the slant in the the 66 Dart and doing the disc brake swap on the front.

Wish me luck! 8)

-
Back