Tap vs. Bottled–What Should You Drink?

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
There are 60 million plastic water bottles thrown into US landfills every day, where they can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade. Producing these bottles burns through 1.5 million barrels of crude oil annually - enough fuel to keep 100,000 cars running for a year. Hey ... I need that fuel damn it! And btw ... who the hell wants to pay 500x-1000x more for bottled water when tap water is just as good.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/22317/tap-vs-bottled-what-should-you-drink

I also read something like that some time ago. Our country has the cleanest public water systems in the world and we buy the most amount of bottled water.

It's kind of ironic, the same type of person that is a bottled water toter are also the ones that preach eco friendly items and ***** about our gasoline usage in our "gas guzzlers", go figure.

Chuck

Not only is the tap water just as good, in many instances the bottled water IS tap water. There was a story on that not long ago.

I also read something like that some time ago. Our country has the cleanest public water systems in the world and we buy the most amount of bottled water.

It's kind of ironic, the same type of person that is a bottled water toter are also the ones that preach eco friendly items and ***** about our gasoline usage in our "gas guzzlers", go figure.

Chuck

Yes, and then there are the ones that don't think twice about it! They have the ol' "why should I care, I won't be here when all the sh*t comes down!"

Filtered tap water is the best way to go. Various types of water contamination are not all that uncommon. May go undetected for a long time depending on sampling/testing policies/procedures employed by the municipality or other authority responsible for the water supply.

Yeah, I look back and wonder how I ever lived past 20yrs old drinking from all those lead based water spickets in all my freinds and neighbors yards. That's right, Now you stay inside playing ps2-3-4-5 and so on. I guess having the bottled water makes it more convenient for the kiddies. Now they don't have to get up to get a drink of water. LOL

Yeah, I look back and wonder how I ever lived past 20yrs old drinking from all those lead based water spickets in all my freinds and neighbors yards. That's right, Now you stay inside playing ps2-3-4-5 and so on. I guess having the bottled water makes it more convenient for the kiddies. Now they don't have to get up to get a drink of water. LOL

Well, don't forget that they have maids (mothers) & butlers (fathers) to fetch their designer bottled water too.

Well, don't forget that they have maids (mothers) & butlers (fathers) to fetch their designer bottled water too.

That will be the day in my house. If they want bottled water, I find a glass, show it to them and tell them it's already open, just fill it from that thing over the sink, then I put it back in the cupboard.

Jack

Nothing but Poland Springs and Aquafina in my house,and there are'nt any maids or butlers...

I read that it takes 3 litres of water to produce a one liter plastic water bottle.

"Spring water" tastes like **** if you ask me. All that natural bacteria and algae in there...I'll take tap water over that any day.

People making money...that's all it's about.

alhambra 5 gallon bottles here. we trying to get away from the 16 ounce water bottle. we use glasses filled with water from our water cooler. its cheap, good and delivered.

The only water I drink is well water from my tap.
The only other thing I drink is coffee.
here are some other ideas from the rest of the world.

There is a new law passed in China, that now outlaws those
thin plastic bag like you get at the store.
They claim it will save million of barrels of oil and less pollution.
I doubt it was voted on by the people, just goverment mandated.
On the same note if a new law passes in California, your thermostats
can be controled by the electric company, any time they think usage
is too high or goverment mandates exceeded they can by radio control
reset your thermostat in your home.

Thanks Arnold and my government,
Just something else I don't need to worry about, I'll always be kept
at just the right temp by my government.

And now, atleast in Canada is the water bottles that arent safe to drink from. It all depends on the "number" on the bottom of the water bottle.

dude tell me bout it everyone just bitches that ewww its tap water.... i dont care haha i use to drink it from the hose outside when i was a kid and I LOVED IT haha

Evian spelled backward is Naive...and Racecar spelled backward is racecar....

Smartest thing I've read on this thread in my opinion...!!! How about if you have "well" water that tastes like ****, filtering helps little, but the public officials deem your water safe and fit to drink ???

Poland Spring here for drinking ... and at least they have a program in place to use thinner and more enviromentally friendly bottles... I'm more concerned that I down a few bottles of water a day, versus where it comes from, as long as it tastes ok....

I will never, ever, in a million years pay for or drink bottled water. It is the biggest most ridiculous ripoff scam in "North America". I cannot believe in this day and age with public utility water systems running within guidelines and the law that regulates them that people would pay these exorbinant prices for something that when it comes out of the tap is basically free (when compared to the cost of a bottle of water). Who's to say that the bottled water is safe and that there wasn't an upset at Jesuses Water Emporium and Fur Tannery the other day and now a pile of people are going to have the *****.
I can certainly see that if a family has a lousey well or the town supply goes bad for a short time then certainly use bottled water but these aren't the majority of the people that are buying this bullshit. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that bottled water, plastic shopping bags and "yes" while were at it Lite Beer should all be banned, with extreme predjudice.

Terry:violent1:

Tap water for me! and when the cashier asks if I need a bag I smile and say No thank you I have one at home.:lol:
We need to quit using strtrofoam from what I have herd it is real bad to make.

And be careful if you burn it it will send you to the dr.

I just installed a water filter system last year during our Home Remodel and we hve cut out the bottled water! We just fill up the old bottles! man does it taste great.You can also get a system to filter your whole house if needed. Do a little research and for a couple of hundred dollars a nice filter system that takes out LOTS of bad things in the water!
You will be surprised how well you can improve the taste of your TAP WATER! Also if you took sample of your tap water and have it analyzed by an independant lab you migh tjust be surprised what you are drinking! There can be some pretty harmfum things in regular tap water,especially if it not chlorinated!
I purchased a system that works GREAT! and we really like the improved water taste! To eliminate the plastic and other items from lndfills EVERYONE needs to PRACTICE RECYCLING !
It can work if everyone does it! Who knows the next batch of water bottles,bread wrappers and so on could be covers for seat hinges or other plastic parts! for our classic cars! Just think what this EARTH is going to be like if we continue on a path like we have been on the past 100 years!
I have mixed feelings about the GLOBAL WARMING they say is happening!
Without a doubt Technology ,chemicals etc have caused damage to our world. Just how much! I don't think it is really known.I believe there is some truth to Global Warming and that technology has played a major role in it.But then again where would we be without the technology we have today! I think we just all need to be more creative,more understanding and work toward preserving Our world as much as we can. Sorry I will get off the SOAP BOX NOW!:thumbup:

Demon Seed you are 100% correct. Bottled water is a total scam. Municipal water is safe and good.
Also keep in mind that you CANNOT recycle plastic! at best it has a couple uses before it ends up in the land fill. There is no way to make a plastic water bottle or any other food container with anything but virgin plastic.

There are 60 million plastic water bottles thrown into US landfills every day, where they can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade. Producing these bottles burns through 1.5 million barrels of crude oil annually - enough fuel to keep 100,000 cars running for a year. Hey ... I need that fuel damn it! And btw ... who the hell wants to pay 500x-1000x more for bottled water when tap water is just as good.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/22317/tap-vs-bottled-what-should-you-drink

to reply to the original post.........who gives a s#$t?

to reply to the original post.........who gives a s#$t?

Apparently, this is a rhetorical question but just so I don't speak for others, I will say that at least one person (me) gives a sh*t. And apparently, we definitely know who does not. I am hoping you took the time to read the article at least. This is basically about being a wise consumer and someone who gives a sh*t about our environment. If neither interest you ... move on to the next post on how to torque your own bolts.

i give a big ****. being eco friendly is a great thing. yeah our old cars emit emissions, but not all are driven everyday. recycling is a great thing. we hardly throw anything out, it all goes to recycling. even our food waste that happens to be purchased from golden gate disposal by east bay municipal utility district(ebmud) for food for the waste water treatment plant. how resourceful is that? every little bit helps.

That is a BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM! the People that JUST DON'T CARE! Well if you live long enough and you get really thirsty and there is NONE to VERY LITTLE water to drink then maybe the people that don't care now will care then.Or when your GREAT GRAND CHILDREN or there children need good clean water and very little is availiable because it is contaminated or just plain is not any!
I am like GTXperience! I am one that does care also! I care now and If I live long enough I will care then.I guess you have never been THIRSTY when there was no clean water or water at all to be had! It is not fun to be in that situation! I think a lot of it is pure convienience! You can get bottled water at any and every convienience store or station. It is popular because of its convienience. Just like sodas,beer,etc. In the Old days you had to go get beer and take it home in a bucket,there were no bottles or cans! or KEGS! when the bottles and cans become availiable it was convienient and it went over REAL BIG! Just like bottled sodas,water,fruit drinks etc! Pure Convienience!

-
Back