-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Map63Vette

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking at ways to try to put an oil pressure gauge in my dash cluster to get rid of my bolt on gauge pod under the dash and have an idea on converting a temp gauge to read an oil pressure sender. I'd like to mess with a spare one that works. Would prefer something in decent shape as I'd like it to match my current gauges that are pretty good (letters still pretty white, needle can be faded as that's easy enough to repaint). Also looking for a spare ammeter gauge as the oil pressure dummy light gauge face is connected to it as I understand. I'd rather not cut my current one up in case I can't get things to work and want to go back to stock.

For info, other than getting it mounted, you don't need to convert anything. Electrically the gauge should work as is. Of course, you'll need to figure out "calibration"

For info, other than getting it mounted, you don't need to convert anything. Electrically the gauge should work as is. Of course, you'll need to figure out "calibration"

Bingo, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Was going to see if I could dig up any info on various oil pressures sensors to get an idea what kind of range of output they had. Most gauges tend to be 0-5v, so I think it would be pretty straightforward. Worst case even if it isn't super accurate it would be a better indicator than a light on my dash that only comes on when there's essentially zero pressure.

If your looking to keep it somewhat factory, check out my build, http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244121
page 2, I did a cluster and added an oil pressure gauge. Drop me a pm and I'll give you all the particulars.
Martin

That's exactly what I was planning! Did you start with a temp gauge as well for the base? Looks more like a fuel gauge from the screen printing, but I'm thinking you could have repainted it or used temp gauge guts behind a fuel gauge face. Any tips for sensor selection and calibration or did A1 do most of that for you? Nice to see this looks pretty doable.

Will any of these guages work for your project?

Ken
Edison, NJ

Attachments

• DSCN2616.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 96
I've got a lead on a few so far, I'll see how things work out and let you know. Hopefully I can get it done on my first attempt without mangling things too bad.

That's exactly what I was planning! Did you start with a temp gauge as well for the base? Looks more like a fuel gauge from the screen printing, but I'm thinking you could have repainted it or used temp gauge guts behind a fuel gauge face. Any tips for sensor selection and calibration or did A1 do most of that for you? Nice to see this looks pretty doable.

You can use a temp or fuel gauge, either will work. They'll reface it. Once A1 reconfigures the circuit board, all you will need to do is us a bell type sending unit with a button style connection end, for a factory gauge application, and your ready to go. All wiring connections will work as OEM. Hope this helps.

Was there any particular sending unit that you used (as in from a certain car)? So, if I went to the parts store and wanted to buy a sending unit for the car, do I just pick some random car or do you know what yours is off of?

Was there any particular sending unit that you used (as in from a certain car)? So, if I went to the parts store and wanted to buy a sending unit for the car, do I just pick some random car or do you know what yours is off of?

64-85 Dodge sending units for a gauge will all be the same. I just asked for a 69 Dodge Car with a gauge. If they bring one out with a threaded top where the wire goes, have them look at the pictures and get the one with the button type end. I got mine at my local Car Quest. You can also get them from DodgeBoy on Ebay for around $15.

Thanks! I'll see what I can hunt down at the local part stores. Have my cluster out now, so the experimenting can begin soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back