The 340 is the biggest POS V8 Chrysler ever made.

-
That reply is the most vague, nonsensical piece of drivel I have read for a while. We should be comparing engines in stock form. The 340, hands down is the best and sweetest SB (chev terminology - lets say LA engine) in the world. Most people should know that Chrysler generally underrated their factory performance figures. The 426H was rated at 425HP but most people who have been around them for a while knew that the actual figure was closer to 470-500hp. The same went for the big valve 340 (2.02 X head). Rated at 275 hp, they have been proven many times to deliver over 300HP in stock form. In fact, I think it was one of the mags, possibly HotRod Magazine that decided to put that to the test. They built two 340 engines to stock specifications as far as possible (using stock components). One engine dyno'ed at 315 hp, the other went to almost 323hp! Quite impressive.

In contrast, the Cheep 'n Hevvy Chevvy 350 was more a lump of cast iron in the shape of an engine. Sure it could be made to perform and that was why from very early years there was a huge amount of performance equipment and upgrades available for the SB Chevs. Compare that to Chrysler - until even as late as 15 years ago there was a much lower amount of bolt on performance equipment available for Chrysler engines. Most likely (IMO) because they didn't really need much to get them to perform very well, due to their basic engineering excellence and strength.

You quoted me out of context. You a journalist in your day job?

Any one that blasphemes the 340 will have to answer to John Wayne I tell ya.....I know he's dead but I mean when they get to heaven or wherever the hell they end up, some incarnation of John Wayne will be there to set them straight.

Weird how many Chevys are out there with a rear mounted pump and they will live better at RPMs than any Chrysler unless you fix the Chrysler. And that isn't easy.

Admit your wrong and move along.
That's one heck of a lie. Admit you are butthurt and biased, and move along.

I really like 318s as well. Basically a smaller bore 340. I'd even say I like 318s MORE than 340s, but that's just because I'm weird haha.

LOL.

It's not butt hurt if I refute your nonsense.

Ever have a Chrysler that turned more than 6000 RPM? I suggest you are just a bubblegummer.
I've seen plenty go past that, and have no issues on stock oil passages. Your experiences are not all accepted facts.

I've seen plenty go past that, and have no issues on stock oil passages. Your experiences are not all accepted facts.

Ever have one make power at 8k? I promise you you haven't. But I can tell you even 1965 SBC oiling will oil to 10k with no oil mods. You ain't doing that with a Chrysler.

If you say you have, you lie. I've posted, at length what it takes to do that with a Chrysler. Maybe you should read up on it.

Ever have one make power at 8k? I promise you you haven't. But I can tell you even 1965 SBC oiling will oil to 10k with no oil mods. You ain't doing that with a Chrysler.

If you say you have, you lie. I've posted, at length what it takes to do that with a Chrysler. Maybe you should read up on it.
Dont have to spin it to 8k to make hp. Thats what big blocks are for.

Dont have to spin it to 8k to make hp. Thats what big blocks are for.

Thanks for answering the question. The answer is you don't know ****. You can't refute what I said about Chevy oiling. You can't refute what I said about the oil pump being in the rear and rear sump pans. So you dodge the issue.

Take a blow chump. Like I said, you're a bubblegummer.

A small block Chivy will rap all day at 8000 rpm with solids and springs. back in the day, a tunnel rammed, geared small block Chevy 350 could catch you at the back door. Seen it many times at the strip.
same goes for a properly built 340, they could catch ya.
but not my 383. lol

That reply is the most vague, nonsensical piece of drivel I have read for a while. We should be comparing engines in stock form. The 340, hands down is the best and sweetest SB (chev terminology - lets say LA engine) in the world. Most people should know that Chrysler generally underrated their factory performance figures. The 426H was rated at 425HP but most people who have been around them for a while knew that the actual figure was closer to 470-500hp. The same went for the big valve 340 (2.02 X head). Rated at 275 hp, they have been proven many times to deliver over 300HP in stock form. In fact, I think it was one of the mags, possibly HotRod Magazine that decided to put that to the test. They built two 340 engines to stock specifications as far as possible (using stock components). One engine dyno'ed at 315 hp, the other went to almost 323hp! Quite impressive.

In contrast, the Cheep 'n Hevvy Chevvy 350 was more a lump of cast iron in the shape of an engine. Sure it could be made to perform and that was why from very early years there was a huge amount of performance equipment and upgrades available for the SB Chevs. Compare that to Chrysler - until even as late as 15 years ago there was a much lower amount of bolt on performance equipment available for Chrysler engines. Most likely (IMO) because they didn't really need much to get them to perform very well, due to their basic engineering excellence and strength.

Did you know there was 327´s available with 375Hp from the factory?
Not trying to stirr **** here but the smallblock chevy is a good engine, the mopar smalblock mopar is a fine engine aswell and now alot of years later we can do a whole lot more with them than what was possible in the 60´s when these heaps of iron where designed.

I have a 340 and had one in the past that expired and realy if a need for another engine would show up i would probably go for a 360 instead unless i ran into a another 340block by accident. nothing special about them as soon as you start swaping out parts.

I’m one of those older guys. I also know a lot can be done to any of the LA engines to make them run, same as the small block Chevy’s and Fords. They’re all good.

Did you know there was 327´s available with 375Hp from the factory?
Not trying to stirr **** here but the smallblock chevy is a good engine, the mopar smalblock mopar is a fine engine aswell and now alot of years later we can do a whole lot more with them than what was possible in the 60´s when these heaps of iron where designed.

I have a 340 and had one in the past that expired and realy if a need for another engine would show up i would probably go for a 360 instead unless i ran into a another 340block by accident. nothing special about them as soon as you start swaping out parts.

You have to be careful using Chevy HP numbers. They were more than a little exaggerated. Their longevity was short lived also. The only real POS engines back in the day were the Vega and Pinto, with deleted oiling to the valve train. The Chevy is not in the same league as the Mopar small block, but not a POS. It has nothing to do with HP numbers.

Last edited:
I ran a program where we had a 340 bore but a 2.96 (about) stroke and a longer rod
you have to spin them much harder than a 4 " stroke 4" bore to get the same amount of air through them
you get a little more hp with the big motor but not much but a lot more down low I'd build a 4x4 everytime unless there were rules not to and even then...
you do have to do all the oiling mods to make a high rpm mopar- or anything live
same also with the AMC with it's Buick style oil pump
The amc was supposed to run a stock plus a little 360 4.060 AMC bore in Trans AM so more bore and less stroke than the Mopar- same with the Pontiac
on the AMC we used a 4.1875 bore slightly over the 4.165 401 block which AMC cast with 4 bolt mains , filled in bulkheads thick deck and 360 on the side- really short stroke when legal
was 4.250 x 3.750 (sound familiar) giving 426 NASCAR at Riverside The big bore AMC out breathed everything except the BOSS ford but had a better torque curve and better out of the corner than the Mustang basically a better head than the Chevy, Pontiac, LA (not W2) A Wally Booth head would outflow any of them but hard to keep together and definitely not for anything but drag racing
Similar but earlier 390 block was run by Hayden Proffit in the blown fuel Grant Piston Ring FunnyCar- what was learned in that program came the 70 Dog leg heads and better blocks
racing works!
and you have to fix the oiling- even on big blocK mopar

Yep. And some were even higher. If you go through the old DC books you can see how NHRA factored the piss out of the Chrysler stuff.
A few times, right out of competition ! Walley Parks even apologized to Ronnie Sox for legislating the gen 2 hemi`s out of competition, years later. He put 600# on the hemi because Jenkins and the chevy boys couldn`t beat it . HE ADMITTED IT !

LOL.

It's not butt hurt if I refute your nonsense.

Ever have a Chrysler that turned more than 6000 RPM? I suggest you are just a bubblegummer.

I had a 426 hemi superstock motor that I saw 7500 in quite a few times. Mostly by accident .

those were throw away cars, about 60,000 miles and they were junk, in most cases. The vega sure made a good hotrod w/ a big sbc engine tho.
Thats about all they were good for. Drag cars or tin cans. They were so bad engine wise that junkyards had erected signs by the mid to late 70s saying NO chevy vegas. Nobody wanted em not even the junk yards when they started to break down lol. The sucky part was that was a car designed by committee. Nobody inside GM really wanted it. It was a corporate committe design thrown at chevrolet when they had their own idea already on the drawing board. Told to scrap their idea, and build this one. At that point nobodys heart was really in it. Because of this honestly the Vega really didnt have a chance.

They did ship them pretty uniquely by rail. Southern Pacific designed rail cars called vertipak cars. I think you could fit 30 vegas into one of them. Cars were transported nose down *** end up on the vertipaks 15 on each side. This meant their length had to be kept to a mimimum so the rail cars could clear tunnels.

-
Back