The 340 is the biggest POS V8 Chrysler ever made.

-
Wow, just wow. I remember watching that on a Sunday morning in 1969. I was driving my first new car, a 1968 Dart 270 with a 273 two barrel. In 68 while awaiting my ordered car to come in, I made one of my biggest mistakes. The salesman called and offered me a low mile repo GTS 340 for less money than my ordered car and I passed. Dumb ****, dumb ****.

If I posted all the cool **** I sold, and my friends...well...I could have retired. Young and STUPID I was.

Wow, just wow. I remember watching that on a Sunday morning in 1969. I was driving my first new car, a 1968 Dart 270 with a 273 two barrel. In 68 while awaiting my ordered car to come in, I made one of my biggest mistakes. The salesman called and offered me a low mile repo GTS 340 for less money than my ordered car and I passed. Dumb ****, dumb ****.

Do you have his number?

I am a modern male, with a big block dart. Is talking crap and generalizing people normal on this forum? It would be nice to have some place that wasn't full of politics and ridiculous hot takes.
Talking crap ? lmao move along modern male ! or are you here to start something. ha ha ha

I am a modern male, with a big block dart. Is talking crap and generalizing people normal on this forum? It would be nice to have some place that wasn't full of politics and ridiculous hot takes.

Just a slice of humanity with a little lunatic fringe thrown in. Enjoy the part you like and ignore the rest.

I do. Owned a 340 Dart when I didn't know what I had. Put a purple shaft cam in it Didn't know which one. Left the 3.23 rear in and sacrificed so much!! Now I know better.

Nope, just stating an opinion, like yours. Nothing more. You seem pretty eager to start something.
not really, but I have 3 son's ages 22, 30 and 34 all of which are modern male, none of which are like me.
at 56 and a retired jarhead I can be a little rough around the edges.
carry on, I meant not to offend.

The real reason it is a POS is the water pump bolt holes are drilled through, water gets in oil pan easily and the head needs studs, on ends for exhaust. The distributor is back on the wiper motor. The fuel pump holes need special insert in bolt threads so oil won't leak and copper silicone for insurance, same for water pump chain housing bolts. The alternator pivot bolt is a through hole too. The oil pump is in the pan. 383 B motor is the workhorse. 340 was a 4 bbl 318 with big heads. Big deal it fit in A body puddle jumper front end with jumpy little Upper control arms. 383 B body 1965 Satellite was a better car.

The real reason it is a POS is the water pump bolt holes are drilled through, water gets in oil pan easily and the head needs studs, on ends for exhaust. The distributor is back on the wiper motor. The fuel pump holes need special insert in bolt threads so oil won't leak and copper silicone for insurance, same for water pump chain housing bolts. The alternator pivot bolt is a through hole too. The oil pump is in the pan. 383 B motor is the workhorse. 340 was a 4 bbl 318 with big heads. Big deal it fit in A body puddle jumper front end with jumpy little Upper control arms. 383 B body 1965 Satellite was a better car.
Jesus Christ dude, calm down. Those don't seem like big deals to me.

Real ball busters to play with chain, cam etc. It was designed to heat up fast for 60's smog reduction. I have wasted too much extra time draining water and flushing out oil pan after accessory work. It runs fine, but a 383 would be better for the long run. I have a 440 in an E Body, so I know the 383 like my Dad had, handled better than either my 440 heavy in turns or the zippy 340 in the E body that got buffeted in the wind going up big grades.

Real ball busters to play with chain, cam etc. It was designed to heat up fast for 60's smog reduction. I have wasted too much extra time draining water and flushing out oil pan after accessory work. It runs fine, but a 383 would be better for the long run. I have a 440 in an E Body, so I know the 383 like my Dad had, handled better than either my 440 heavy in turns or the zippy 340 in the E body that got buffeted in the wind going up big grades.
I can get that. But if everything was the same, it would get boring. How does coolant get in the oil like that?

What? Never had water in my oil pan. Never use studs on the exhaust. Ever. This distributor is in the back. Where it goes. If you want it up front put a belt drive on it. Never had an issue with the fuel pump mounting bolts. The oil pump belongs in the back of the pan. If you need it explained to you it won't matter.

Unreal.

What? Never had water in my oil pan. Never use studs on the exhaust. Ever. This distributor is in the back. Where it goes. If you want it up front put a belt drive on it. Never had an issue with the fuel pump mounting bolts. The oil pump belongs in the back of the pan. If you need it explained to you it won't matter.

Unreal.
Gonna have to agree with aracer. Distributor in the front, and oil pump up front is far easier to work with imo.

Gonna have to agree with aracer. Distributor in the front, and oil pump up front is far easier to work with imo.

How often do you have to work on the distributor? Once you have it set it should be good for a long time.

The oil pump is in the back because that is where the pick up should be. The shorter the pickup the better. Oil goes to the rear under acceleration. That's where you want the pump. And the pick up.

How often do you have to work on the distributor? Once you have it set it should be good for a long time.

The oil pump is in the back because that is where the pick up should be. The shorter the pickup the better. Oil goes to the rear under acceleration. That's where you want the pump. And the pick up.
Alot. Changing advance springs, changing wires, rotor, cap,etc...and on the oil situation, that is what a baffle is for. Weird how big blocks never really had oil starvation issues...at least not from people running the pan dry on long, high rpm, high speed pulls. At the end of the day, both are opinions, and you know what they say about them....

Alot. Changing advance springs, changing wires, rotor, cap,etc...and on the oil situation, that is what a baffle is for. Weird how big blocks never really had oil starvation issues...at least not from people running the pan dry on long, high rpm, high speed pulls. At the end of the day, both are opinions, and you know what they say about them....

Weird how many Chevys are out there with a rear mounted pump and they will live better at RPMs than any Chrysler unless you fix the Chrysler. And that isn't easy.

Admit your wrong and move along.

Ok so, "4 barrel 318". lets think about the differences, Larger ports in the heads, larger valves, larger bore, heavier rods, higher compression, cam, 4 barrel only intake, 727 only automatic bolted behind 340, I'm pretty sure the 340 had different rockers because of different "heavier" valve springs, camshaft is different, 340 rated at 275 HP, 318, I believe it was 235 at best, going by memory here. That's all I have off the top of my head. Similarities?, its the same basic block and head casting configuration. Accessories bolt up to it(Starter , alternator, water pump etc.) it geometrically fits where a 318 would, the crank stroke is the same, as is the main journal diameter, I think the rod journal diameter may be the same also, someone correct me if I am wrong. that's about all I have, if it was easy to convert a 318 to 340, people would, don't hear of it much,because a 340 is more than just the short block. I don't think you can bore the 318 much above.040 over, those that do aren't going by the book. Ok, talking big blocks in this thread is comparing apples to oranges, oh, and whats the expert opinion on the "windage tray"? doesn't that count as a "baffle". My opinion on oil starvation is, with a high volume pump, you need a deeper oil pan. :)

This is an A-Body sight. Almost all A-Body Mopars came with a small block or a slant six. There were a few exceptions. (very few) I have no problem with someone dropping a big block in, but that's no excuse for coming on here and ranting about 340's, or any other small block motor. Amazing things can be done with all of them. By the way, I was around when these hit the streets. There was a reason we called them "Giant Killers".

Good points. But, THE SAME DRIVE TRAIN, BUILT THE SAME WAY, THE A body will beat the bigger heavier cars. Compare a bone stock factory race hemi 65 belvedere to a bone stock 68 fastback race hemi! And even highly modified ones.

Only if it was a 340. The 318 gets a pass because it is what it is and the 360 is king of the heap because it is geometrically closer to a Chevy and costs exactly what they are worth.
That reply is the most vague, nonsensical piece of drivel I have read for a while. We should be comparing engines in stock form. The 340, hands down is the best and sweetest SB (chev terminology - lets say LA engine) in the world. Most people should know that Chrysler generally underrated their factory performance figures. The 426H was rated at 425HP but most people who have been around them for a while knew that the actual figure was closer to 470-500hp. The same went for the big valve 340 (2.02 X head). Rated at 275 hp, they have been proven many times to deliver over 300HP in stock form. In fact, I think it was one of the mags, possibly HotRod Magazine that decided to put that to the test. They built two 340 engines to stock specifications as far as possible (using stock components). One engine dyno'ed at 315 hp, the other went to almost 323hp! Quite impressive.

In contrast, the Cheep 'n Hevvy Chevvy 350 was more a lump of cast iron in the shape of an engine. Sure it could be made to perform and that was why from very early years there was a huge amount of performance equipment and upgrades available for the SB Chevs. Compare that to Chrysler - until even as late as 15 years ago there was a much lower amount of bolt on performance equipment available for Chrysler engines. Most likely (IMO) because they didn't really need much to get them to perform very well, due to their basic engineering excellence and strength.

-
Back