The 340 is the biggest POS V8 Chrysler ever made.

-
The pinto 2300 turned out to be a decent engine though. Spawned the mustang SVO and t bird turbo coupes, also ran forever in ford rangers.

I just have to say most of this (racing/performance) stuff is pretty esoteric.
Over years I've had more than one mechanic express an appreciation for the reliability of a LA.
One wanted to buy my car and neither were brand loyal.
I want to get from Point A to Point B.
Not just go a quarter mile.
So, is there a fundamental difference in engine design between LA engines that would make any a "POS"?
I can't speak to the off the shelf comparable GM engine since I've never had one.

Last edited:
Esslinger is nearby I used to do machine work for them lots of other folks make that little carefree car go to-- if by care free you ignore the gas tank

I just have to say most of this (racing/performance) stuff is pretty esoteric.
Over years I've had more than one mechanic express an appreciation for the reliability of a LA.
One wanted to buy my car and neither were brand loyal.
I want to get from Point A to Point B.
Not just go a quarter mile.
So, is there a fundamental difference in engine design between LA engines that would make any a "POS"?
I can't speak to the off the shelf comparable GM engine since I've never had one.

Have had a few Chevys and have friends who run them and just like anything else in this world there is better and worse,i can appreciate both styles,for comparison,the smallblock mopar has shaftmount rockers wich is great,but we are also stuck with a lifterangle and location that is beyond full retard compared to a SBC,Sure we have ½" headbolts,but we are stuck with just 4 bolts per cylinder where a SBC has 5,Smallblock mopars has a nice cast aluminum front cover a SBC has a pressed steelcover. Plenty of SBCs with 4 bolt mains,but hey the smallblock mopars has a higher deckheight. Chevys have HEI ignition with everything inside the distibutor,Mopars has much higher camlocation in the block making strokers much easier to build. Moparsmallblocks has a very nice sparkplugglocation and angle for acces on cars with headers,SBC has a much wider boltpatern on the exhuast side of its heads.

Listing god and bad sides can go on forewer,what it all boils down to is what body style we prefer to wrap that engine in and its usualy easier to put a mopar engine in a mopar and a chevy in a chevy.

That reply is the most vague, nonsensical piece of drivel I have read for a while. We should be comparing engines in stock form. The 340, hands down is the best and sweetest SB (chev terminology - lets say LA engine) in the world. Most people should know that Chrysler generally underrated their factory performance figures. The 426H was rated at 425HP but most people who have been around them for a while knew that the actual figure was closer to 470-500hp. The same went for the big valve 340 (2.02 X head). Rated at 275 hp, they have been proven many times to deliver over 300HP in stock form. In fact, I think it was one of the mags, possibly HotRod Magazine that decided to put that to the test. They built two 340 engines to stock specifications as far as possible (using stock components). One engine dyno'ed at 315 hp, the other went to almost 323hp! Quite impressive.

In contrast, the Cheep 'n Hevvy Chevvy 350 was more a lump of cast iron in the shape of an engine. Sure it could be made to perform and that was why from very early years there was a huge amount of performance equipment and upgrades available for the SB Chevs. Compare that to Chrysler - until even as late as 15 years ago there was a much lower amount of bolt on performance equipment available for Chrysler engines. Most likely (IMO) because they didn't really need much to get them to perform very well, due to their basic engineering excellence and strength.
The 1968 dart 340 was rated at 275 horspower for one reason. If it was rated at 280, the Car Insurance nearly doubled. The same goes with B bodies. my Buddy wanted a new 68' Charger really badly. The 383 however was rated at 290 HP.However, The 68' lemans 350 was rated 265,so He was forced to buy the lemans due to the huge difference in costs for 17 year old Kid. I know, I tried to buy one.

Last edited:
On one of the Pinto engines it was decided to delete an oil passage to save money. I didn't work out too well.
OK, tnx, I did not know that. The 2000/2300 engines were/are the backbone of small circle track, stock-bodied classes in this area at least, to this day.

As far as the Vega, it was actually quite a good engine on the road race tracks in its class..light and it had a large displacement, and so good, easy torque for that size range. You sleeved the block, put a restrictor in the oil passage to the head, and rev away.... And anyone who knew about the Cosworth version of the Vega engine would know it was pretty much the most powerful factory 4-banger around. Eico (sp?) and others made/had all sorts of performance parts for the Vega engines. I still have a few Vega performance pieces... and one reeealy badly bent rod LOL. And the suspension design was far superior for mods and road race/rally setups.

So, like many things, if you were not into them, you would not necessarily know their strong points.

Most Pintos were good. Especially the 2300. My cousin also had 1600 German motor that was great, after he got a "for export only" carb. Vega was complete junk usually between 30K 40K. The bores were worn over .060 the trans was shot, and the body was rusting through. The Cosworth engine was expensive, not popular, and extremely rare. By the time Chevy fixed the Vega, they could not sell one. The best use was to stuff a SBC in one and go racing.

Last edited:
Pintos, Vegas, Chevettes, this thread has strayed, but I will admit these cars were POS'S :) I remember a dumb kid had a Monza with the rad support cut out of it, and a Small Block Chevy stuffed in it. he was oblivious to the fact that the front end was all floppy without the rad support, unibody component missing, what a dumbass.

I am a modern male, with a big block dart. Is talking crap and generalizing people normal on this forum? It would be nice to have some place that wasn't full of politics and ridiculous hot takes.

Oh my GAWD. Need a safe space? Suck it up, buttercup. It was all meant tongue in cheek, like a bunch of guys stand around shootin the breeze. We don't need to call the wambulance, do we? You need some maxi pads? Night out with the girls watchin Steel Magnolias?

See? It was meant pokin fun, just like my post. If you caint take stuff like that, time to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint or cross stitch. Or whine tasting.

Pintos, Vegas, Chevettes, this thread has strayed, but I will admit these cars were POS'S :) I remember a dumb kid had a Monza with the rad support cut out of it, and a Small Block Chevy stuffed in it. he was oblivious to the fact that the front end was all floppy without the rad support, unibody component missing, what a dumbass.

And funny, obviously he was oblivious that Chevy put small blocks in millions of Monzas right from the factory. Radiator support and all.

Pintos in a 340 thread?! When I was a little fella, maybe 8-9 years old, my oldest sister taught me how to do a basic tune up on her Pinto by letting me help her change the plugs, cap, rotor, plug wires, fuel & air filter and oil change. That one Saturday afternoon set things in motion for my fascination with cars. It is all her fault! LOL. On a side note, that little Pinto ran and ran.

Pat

On the other hand, I do remember a very well done Vega GT with a 350 in it, and yes Monzas had v-8's but werent meant for any kind of horsepower that was eventually swapped into them, I believe they were 262 cu in or something like that, and then people swapped in higher HP 350's, used to pop the windows out from the body twisting. :)

On the other hand, I do remember a very well done Vega GT with a 350 in it, and yes Monzas had v-8's but werent meant for any kind of horsepower that was eventually swapped into them, I believe they were 262 cu in or something like that, and then people swapped in higher HP 350's, used to pop the windows out from the body twisting. :)

Yup. Tiny pistons they had. They also put in 305s as well. I hear the usual Chevy guys talk about the "limited run" 350 cars, but it never happened. Now, Nickey Chevrolet did put 350s and 400s in them, but that was a high performance dealer, similar to Mr Norm, not from the factory.

Those damned 340s. They just wouldn't pull a greasy string outta a cat's ***.

I remember Vegas and Monzas being ...eh,junk for lack of a better word. If you were running Chevy, it was Camaro, Chevelle, Nova, Impala etc. only thing worse would be trying to make a Corvair into V-8 rear wheel drive, alot of work when there are better choices out there with the drivetrain already there. :)

Oh my GAWD. Need a safe space? Suck it up, buttercup. It was all meant tongue in cheek, like a bunch of guys stand around shootin the breeze. We don't need to call the wambulance, do we? You need some maxi pads? Night out with the girls watchin Steel Magnolias?

See? It was meant pokin fun, just like my post. If you caint take stuff like that, time to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint or cross stitch. Or whine tasting.

Yikes. I really don’t think he meant to hurt your fragile feewings with his challenging question, man. Take it easy. It will be ok.

From now on, you’re allowed to say whatever makes you happy and nobody will get to challenge you. Ok? Feel better?

:D

Yikes. I really don’t think he meant to hurt your fragile feewings with his challenging question, man. Take it easy. It will be ok.

From now on, you’re allowed to say whatever makes you happy and nobody will get to challenge you. Ok? Feel better?

:D

Yikes? You need a safe space too? Damn. It's the pussification of FABO.

Funny part about that was the monza was actually offered with a V8. A 305 i think. There would be no reason to even cut the support out.

Yikes? You need a safe space too? Damn. It's the pussification of FABO.

“Yikes” at the complete lack of emotional control which you continue to demonstrate.

Like with most “Internet forum tough guys” you’re vastly overestimating your Internet Muscles. Nobody is impressed nor intimidated by what you sling while hiding behind your keyboard.

Seriously. Take it easy. Name calling says way more about you than whoever you’re trying to intimidate.

-
Back