The 340 is the biggest POS V8 Chrysler ever made.

-
and I thought the 360 was a POS. lol Get Real Get Mopar ! a well tuned LT1 back in the day would trim a well tuned 340.
hell, a well tuned 302 in the Z28 would give the 340 a run for the money. but I still like the 340 out of the box.

I am Mopar thru and thru, BUT the BEST small block ever designed/ produced wears a Bow tie.

Who told you that?

Let's see.

Short deck
Piss poor rod to stroke ratio
Worse bore to stroke ratio
Cam closer to the crank
23* valve angle
Junky assed stud mounted rockers

Need I keep going?

GM used the softest cast iron out of the big three. Ford was a bit tougher but the Chrysler's had the best cast iron for production blocks.

The ONLY thing better about the SBC was the oiling system.

Just change the valve angles and the same basics apply to the BBC.

i think it was 2011 the 100,000th sm. blk. chevy was built.No denying the 70 LT1 was strong.
Still ...there were 340's that just plain ran.A friend back in '68 had a 4 spd 340 Dart and everyone just said..."there's no way that 340 Dart can be that fast"!

The part of the Chevys I like is the interchangeability. Also as Tim mentions, they are small and compact. You don't have to spend a thousand damn dollars on headers, or 300 for a decent oil pan. You actually HAVE aftermarket support.......so much so that it really turns my stomach when I compare to what Mopar has.

From 1955 to 1987 the bare block was virtually unchanged except for bore and stroke. That's a LOT of years and a LOT of parts to scour for.

Got damn, really? Go look at the blue prints. The Chevy and MoPar are so close in size and weight it's negligible.

The Chevy headers cost the same as Chrysler headers unless you are buying junk. 300 for an oil pan and it's barely above stock for either brand.

The reason for little aftermarket support is because the cheap dick pussy whining Chrysler guys to this F'ing DAY still think running a stock rocker is a good thing.

Not many guys wanted to use W-2 has because they had to buy headers and an intake. Boo freaking hoo. The Chevy guys learned several DECADES ago how **** a stud mounted rocker is. Yet the magnum leg bumpers can't wait to run rockers a Chevy guy would piss on.

Go figure why no one in the aftermarket will support us. You can buy a F'ing Pontiac block and the poncho guys don't ***** and piss and moan.

Say whatever makes you feel good !
I said it before I'll say it again !
All makes had fast cars !
None were better !
Some ran better !
Some people knew how to make them run better !
Comparrisons are like assholes !
They are everywhere !
I don't care what you or anyone else thinks !
I disagree with your comparisons , that does not make me or you right !
It means we disagree !
Im far from delusional !
If you love chevy so much you and Tim can hook it up and raise your pom poms together on for smallblockchevyonly !!

Yup. That must be it. I never ran into a "good" one.

Unreal.

There were several different LT-1s through the years. I am talking about the 1970 model. 370 HP. In good tune with a good driver, a stock 340 wouldn't stand a chance.

Mopars are more unique high impact colors and have legendary status with the winged cars that were unbeatable on the track. By Richard Petty and I believe Keith Black! Also I never forget the General Lee! Off track some but just 2 centavos!:D

I said it before I'll say it again !
All makes had fast cars !
None were better !
Some ran better !
Some people knew how to make them run better !
Comparrisons are like assholes !
They are everywhere !
I disagree with your comparisons , that does not make me or you right !
It means we disagree !
Im far from delusional !
If you love chevy so much you and Tim can hook it up and raise your pom poms together on for smallblockchevyonly !!

No, that's not my point. My point is that they all made fast cars. Perhaps with the exception of the Race Hemis, you can pick any Mopar and I can pick a Chevy that would have out run it. And vise versa.

What I love about the Mopars is, with the exception of a few cars, they didn't use large by huge camshafts to make their combos go. Chevy did. That meant their cars were somewhat less street drivable. For instance, the 69 1/2 A12 cars. They had an almost stock idle compared to say a 69 375/396 Chevelle. Yet the A12 cars would stomp a mudhole in a Chevelle's ***.

Last edited:
Who told you that?

Let's see.

Short deck
Piss poor rod to stroke ratio
Worse bore to stroke ratio
Cam closer to the crank
23* valve angle
Junky assed stud mounted rockers

Need I keep going?

GM used the softest cast iron out of the big three. Ford was a bit tougher but the Chrysler's had the best cast iron for production blocks.

The ONLY thing better about the SBC was the oiling system.

Just change the valve angles and the same basics apply to the BBC.

I was thinking those same issues, Mopars and Chevies were very similar but the small differences were where it mattered.

Also are you taking about the oiling circuit? Didn't Chevies use that obsolete inefficient dual-rotor oil pump though, not like the Mopar gerotor type? Always hear about Chevies slowly building oil pressure with RPM but Mopars hit max oil pressure basically off idle... really nice for off-roading or pulling heavy loads at low RPM

I spoke with fellas who were around when the 340 cars were new. The one guy said " man, those 340 Darts were fast right out of the box" this was coming from a Ford guy. Those were the days when you could buy a fast car from the showroom and go to the track, and really they weren't that expensive. Best bang for the buck you could say. Also, keep in mind that 1970 fast isn't today's version of fast. if you look at the quarter mile stats for these cars, the times and trap speeds are impressive for the time.
I know a guy who owned a used, plum crazy 4 speed 70 HEMICuda back when it was only 3 years old. He told me the 340 Darts/Dusters were the most fun to race. Those cars flew in stock form. RPM city.

That's what some dumbass schooled me on at the last car show I went to. :D
He says they were the most gutless unreliable POS ever made.
I didn't contest his opinion, because what would be the point?

I was there :D and heard some of his conversation with a Tri-5 owner parked behind me. He seemed to be arguing about whether that guy's car was a Belair or 210. The guy was wandering around blowing smoke everywhere LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

I was thinking those same issues, Mopars and Chevies were very similar but the small differences were where it mattered.

Also are you taking about the oiling circuit? Didn't Chevies use that obsolete inefficient dual-rotor oil pump though, not like the Mopar gerotor type? Always hear about Chevies slowly building oil pressure with RPM but Mopars hit max oil pressure basically off idle... really nice for off-roading or pulling heavy loads at low RPM

Not so much the pump but the way the oil galleries are laid out and when the connecting rods get oil.

The spur gear oil pump has some advantages. It produces less oil pulses per revolution and it doesn't require the pickup diameter to be quite as big.

Other than that, the gerotor pump will produce more oil from a pump of equal size.

I said it before I'll say it again All makes had fast cars !
None were better ! Some ran better ! Some people knew how to make them run better !
Comparrisons are like assholes ! They are everywhere !
I disagree with your comparisons , that does not make me or you right ! It means we disagree !
*****Im far from delusional !*******

Every sentence ends with an exclamation point....
Are you sure that you are not delusional? Got a Doctor's note to prove that ?

:poke:

and I thought the 360 was a POS. lol Get Real Get Mopar ! a well tuned LT1 back in the day would trim a well tuned 340.
hell, a well tuned 302 in the Z28 would give the 340 a run for the money. but I still like the 340 out of the box.
Back in the day, I saw 340`s w/ the same thing done to them as 350 chevys, cams-heads - valve size-auto. trans-race gears- slicks- the 340 would whip the 350`s *** , on the dragstrip! You build them exactly the same everything the 340 will win!

I was with Chrysler when the Hemi was being sold
That Hemi driver would have fouled his stock plug and been blowing black smoke
He'd bring it back into the Dealer for a carb rebuild and maybe an electronic ignition conversion from his dual points
We couldn't even drive them to lunch without them crapping out
learned to krrp the reves up all the time- what fun
no wonder we could not give them away

Back in the day, I saw 340`s w/ the same thing done to them as 350 chevys, cams-heads - valve size-auto. trans-race gears- slicks- the 340 would whip the 350`s *** , on the dragstrip! You build them exactly the same everything the 340 will win!
I know, apples and oranges, and I knew a guy with a built 283 in an El Camino that handed many *** whoopin's .

A built 283? Seriously? With 283ish cubes? Normally aspirated? In an ElCamino?
That would take about 1.3plus hp/cube,right?
Doable I suppose, but why.............
mid 70's and because he could, don't doubt me, because your 367 wouldn't stand a chance. lol not a chance.

No arguments from me with my 2.2plus 60fts,lol.
Jus saying 1.35hp/cube is a lotta motor, and a lotta money, and I can't imagine driving that everywhere all the time like you could a 71-340 Swinger/etc. with just headers.
Like you said; apples and oranges

That's probably a pretty accurate statement......but remember, there were many factory versions of the 350 and really only one of the 340. Man, I sure wish they had stuffed a solid cam in the 340 and gave it some real HP heads. It wouldda been no contest for sure then.

I was with Chrysler when the Hemi was being sold
That Hemi driver would have fouled his stock plug and been blowing black smoke
He'd bring it back into the Dealer for a carb rebuild and maybe an electronic ignition conversion from his dual points
We couldn't even drive them to lunch without them crapping out
learned to krrp the reves up all the time- what fun
no wonder we could not give them away

what was the deal with that? why were they less reliable than a regular wedge V-8 car?

That's probably a pretty accurate statement......but remember, there were many factory versions of the 350 and really only one of the 340. Man, I sure wish they had stuffed a solid cam in the 340 and gave it some real HP heads. It wouldda been no contest for sure then.
This. ..
Chevy ,I have done.. Read up on Smokey Yunich 's patch jobs on the 265 and the 283 ,for Nascar use.
Not pointed at you ,Robert..
It's just to justify what manufacturers were willing to do to win ,in the day.

-
Back