The 340 is the biggest POS V8 Chrysler ever made.

-
Message board meathead and his progressive statements. I’ll go out on a limb and give you the benefit of the doubt that your not actually classless enough to say that to someone’s face. But, based on your profile picture I would guess you resemble that and pray you get that missing part of your head back in the afterlife.

Have a fabulous day.

Jake
let me guess , you voted for Hillary Clinton. your crayons are melting. don't forget to put your tinfoil hat on. your retaliatory insults show your true colors. based on your screen name , you should go back to lurking dogs.

let me guess , you voted for Hillary Clinton. your crayons are melting. don't forget to put your tinfoil hat on. your retaliatory insults show your true colors. based on your screen name , you should go back to lurking dogs.
:/

Jake

Message board meathead and his progressive statements. I’ll go out on a limb and give you the benefit of the doubt that your not actually classless enough to say that to someone’s face. But, based on your profile picture I would guess you resemble that and pray you get that missing part of your head back in the afterlife.

Have a fabulous day.

Jake

LOL

I don't get a 340 message out of the lyrics... maybe I'm missing something..:(

If none of us believe in war
Then can you tell me what the weapon's for
Listen to me everyone
If the button is pushed
There'll be nowhere to run
Giants sleeping giants winning wars
Within their dreams
Till they wake when it's too late
And in god's name blaspheme
Killer of giants threatens us all
Mountains of madness standing so tall
Marches of protest not stopping the war
Or the killer of giants
The killer of giants
Mother nature people state
Your case without its worth
Your seas run dry
Your sleepless eyes are turning red alert
Rising so proudly it has nowhere to fall
This killer of giants
This killer of giants
Oh the killer of giants
Oh the killer of giants
Killer of giants

You have to use the old imagination. Replace nuclear war with the 340 A body and it will all make sense.

I don't get a 340 message out of the lyrics... maybe I'm missing something..:(

If none of us believe in war
Then can you tell me what the weapon's for
Listen to me everyone
If the button is pushed
There'll be nowhere to run
Giants sleeping giants winning wars
Within their dreams
Till they wake when it's too late
And in god's name blaspheme
Or the killer of giants
The killer of giants
Mother nature people state
Your case without its worth
Your seas run dry
Your sleepless eyes are turning red alert
Rising so proudly it has nowhere to fall
This killer of giants
This killer of giants
Oh the killer of giants
Oh the killer of giants
Killer of giants

BTW, I thought you were going to post some more pictures of your dog?

That's one of the reasons I quit going to carshows, every idiot-expert/ expert-idiot, was running his mouth off, proving just how brilliant he wasn't.
I remember the early 70s well. Being a stocker,my 340 was not the quickest nor the fastest around, but it sent a lot of other "big-inch" cars packing. The 70/71/72 A's were light-weight powerhouses for their time, and if you could make the tires stick (no easy task), they could be like lightning.

While my fellow-highschoolers were hopping their cars up, I worked on getting the tires to stick. And whenever one of the boys thought he had it right, I was the guy to line up with. On the street,there was no way to make Polyglass GTs to stick, with stock suspension. I was so glad when the wore out. I was 17, and cash was tight, or I would have chucked those tires out the day after I bought the car. But a $1.50 an hour, tires were expensive. So I got me a job in a tire-store,lol. I bought that car in late summer 1970, and I sold that car in Feb/75. It was on it's 7th pair of rear tires. And second engine, and second 3-4/third 1-2 synchronizers,and second driveshaft, and second rear gear,and I think third clutch. That car was my 4-season DD, and it put on a lot of hard hard miles.
So was it reliable: you decide,lol.

Last edited:
I know many on here have had many more 340's then I have.
However I have had 5 factory 340 cars.
One b body, two e bodies , and two a bodies , 2 four speeds and 3 autos.
All have ran hard , even the heavy b body !
As many others have stated, and know
that dude knows nothing !!
I'd love to take him for a ride in any of my 340 cars past or present and watch him hold on for life !!

That poser doesnt deserve to ride in any mopar!! However, for the exception of seing him crap his panties!! Priceless!!!:lol::thumbsup::D

Well, I've said this before and I will repeat it. SB Chrysler and SB Chevy have a LOT in common. Valve arrangement, intake and exhaust port similarities, firing order, distributor placement, general size and shape.

You better be in a GOOD state of tune if you were back in 1970 and pulled next to a real LT-1 Camaro. You better HOPE like hell he AIN'T in a good state of tune. The fact is, yes, the little 340 cars whooped up on cars with bigger engines. But there were cars out there that the 340 was not gonna hang with.

The Hurst SC Rambler comes to mind. You probably don't wanna feck with a first generation 396 Camaro. The 340 was a badass combo in an A body, but there were certainly cars that could mop the floor with them.

Theres fast cars of all brands !
One manufacturer is no better then another !
To say a 340 is a pos is a joke !
To compare an lt1 or 396 is a joke !
Apples to oranges !!!
A propperly set up chassis in a light a body 340 will run !!
Is it the fastest no !
Is it fast and respectable yes !
All muscle cars are cool !!
Some are faster then others !
All are fun !

Can't argue with a fool. "Move along pops, I think I saw a Corvette with a 305 in it over there, sounds right up your alley"

stock 340 A's had a window from about 30 to 85/90. When they hit 4th gear those 3.55s almost killed them.
I ALMOST got schooled by a 68-440 Chrysler New-something (Newport?). This high school friend of mine (brother to the girl I was going out with),his Dad had this great hulking beast of brown poo with a 440 auto, and he was going on and on and on and on about how fast it was. Wanted to race me for months. Finally I caved in; 30 to 85 I said; I knew my car's limits. You guessed it, I blew that barge for two gears. Then, on the way to 85, I watched that great whaling ship start catching up.I took him by a good bit, but I seen the handwriting on the wall. My Swinger went 98 in the qtr, and I'm 100% positive, had we raced to 98, that freighter woulda schooled me that day.
Not long afterwards,I put in some 4.10s .

stock 340 A's had a window from about 30 to 85/90. When they hit 4th gear those 3.55s almost killed them.
I ALMOST got schooled by a 68-440 Chrysler New-something (Newport?). This high school friend of mine (brother to the girl I was going out with),his Dad had this great hulking beast of brown poo with a 440 auto, and he was going on and on and on and on about how fast it was. Wanted to race me for months. Finally I caved in; 30 to 85 I said; I knew my car's limits. You guessed it, I blew that barge for two gears. Then, on the way to 85, I watched that great whaling ship start catching up.I took him by a good bit, but I seen the handwriting on the wall. My Swinger went 98 in the qtr, and I'm 100% positive, had we raced to 98, that freighter woulda schooled me that day.
Not long afterwards,I put in some 4.10s .
There were some hi way patrol cars and tulsa police cars that would absolutely kill a 340 in anything !

I guess I will toss the three on my garage into the scrap heap and start looking for an LS motor to build

Did anybody ever see a slow 340???????????????????????????????????

I have. Depends on the tuner. I watched a guy take a low 11 second Hemi over the course of a summer tuned it right into the 12.50's and he wasn't even ashamed of himself. He was a local engine build BTW. Nice guy though. Just couldn't tune.

Theres fast cars of all brands !
One manufacturer is no better then another !
To say a 340 is a pos is a joke !
To compare an lt1 or 396 is a joke !
Apples to oranges !!!
A propperly set up chassis in a light a body 340 will run !!
Is it the fastest no !
Is it fast and respectable yes !
All muscle cars are cool !!
Some are faster then others !
All are fun !

Why is comparing a 340 to the LT-1 a joke? The 340 was the most powerful Chrysler small block. The LT-1 was one of the most powerful small blocks. I could have said let's line up a 340 Duster with a 375 HP fuel injected Vette, but I didn't. IMO, a 340 car better be careful with a 350/350 in a properly tuned Camaro. That's the point of drag racing. You never know who will win.

Did anybody ever see a slow 340???????????????????????????????????

Yeah. Mine was when I first got it. 73 340 Charger. It was badly neglected and out of tune. After a weekend of me and my high school friends thrashing in it and getting it all in tune, it was a hell raiser. It was actually pretty quick considering its weight and the fact that it was the 73 340. I out ran a 350 horse 396 Chevelle several times with it. Pissed him off BAD too.

I was parts chasing back in the 80's and stopped to talk to this guy with a 71 Cuda in his yard. He proceeded to tell me how much he hated the 340 in the Cuda, so much so that he buried it in his backyard. Him and the car are long gone but I cant pass by there today without wondering if its really buried there. Might have been this guys kin!

Why is comparing a 340 to the LT-1 a joke? The 340 was the most powerful Chrysler small block. The LT-1 was one of the most powerful small blocks. I could have said let's line up a 340 Duster with a 375 HP fuel injected Vette, but I didn't. IMO, a 340 car better be careful with a 350/350 in a properly tuned Camaro. That's the point of drag racing. You never know who will win.
For one the lt1 is a solid lifter cam.
For two it has ten more cubic inches .
If you want to compare truly make them the same !
Then you want to campare a 396 big block.
It's not apples to apples !
I tespect your knowledge, and experience , as with many others on here.
I just disagree with your comparison.

That's what some dumbass schooled me on at the last car show I went to. :D

He says they were the most gutless unreliable POS ever made.

I didn't contest his opinion, because what would be the point?

Maybe he was confusing it with the Buick 340 engine! Had a high school friend that had one in a Buick Wildcat, probably about a 67 model. Recall beating up on him a lot with my 318.

When comparing LT 1 Camaros and Vettes to 340 A bodies, lets not forget that the A bodies werent in the same class as Corvette or Camaro, and were alot more affordable. A 340 dart is comparable to an SS Nova 350, The Camaro to the E bodies, and the Corvette is a sports car, Mopar didnt have anything comparable untill the viper. What Im saying is, the 340 was the best bang for the buck, or some may call it "cheap horsepower" the guys with the LT 1's spent more $$$ Im thinking...

I was never afraid of most corvettes. Most couldn't drive and were suckers and posers.

I could give two craps for any 350 Chevy, no matter what lifters it had. The 327 was the better package.

-
Back