The 70 Duster......

-
I am waiting to hear back from the machine shop on the price of a replacement set that they already have. They are 452 castings that already have had some work done along with larger valves. Depending on the price, I will either purchase those, or order some Edelbrock heads.

I plan to let Larry at LPL finish the car. Originally I was going to have him finish the interior and basically get the car done expect installing a motor and trans. Then I decided to have the motor and trans built and deliver those to Larry so the car will be driven out of his shop! Larry and I did not speak of a certain timeline of having the car done. As of right now I believe his plan is......(maybe not in exact order)

sort through all the parts that I took him
remove the interior
remove the dash and all wiring
make a list of parts needed so I can round those up
install the vinyl top
install all new wiring harnesses
convert to console shift auto
repaint the dash frame
restore and install the rally gauge cluster
install the seat covers and interior
install glass and all new weatherstrip
install Vintage Air system
install the new bumpers
restore grill and tail lights
rebuild suspension
4 wheel disc brake conversion
install R/T stripe and hood stripe (w/o R/T callout)

I would say it may take him 6 months or so? I really don't know. I know that having Larry working on it, it should not be anything like the last 2 shops that I have had working on the cars! I am trying to make this one goes as smooth as possible in hopes that he will restore the orange car or the yellow car!! :fingers crossed:

That looks very similar to my build! Mine started in 2007 and I finally have it in for paint! Upholstery, new bumpers, carpet and spoilers are ready for her return!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 916
  • 4.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 896
That looks very similar to my build! Mine started in 2007 and I finally have it in for paint! Upholstery, new bumpers, carpet and spoilers are ready for her return!

It just takes time...

Looks like your Duster is coming along faster than my Duster project! I hope to have a painted shell back by the end of the year but I am not going to hold my breath!! Right now the main focus is getting the Charger back together since the guy working on it actually gets things done!

I don't know if it's that's true... But if it is, I can't say that I have a Charger...
Wish I did! Honey? Can I get another car???? ;>)

A couple of weeks ago...I was willing to sell everything.......cheap!

Sometimes having more than one car is more of a hassle than it seems to be worth. If you just have one....keep it that way!!!

Talked to the machine shop and decided to stay with the iron heads. I need to get some valve covers. Just need to decide on stock steel, the Black Mopar Performance, or some fabricated aluminum valve covers??? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Heard from someone that lives close to the current shop that is working on the Charger. He has the interior completely stripped. The dash and steering column out. Also has all the front suspension removed, except the K member and that was what he was working on. Also he had the new vinyl top stretched out and clamped down on the car so it will fit nicely when he goes to do the final install on it. So it is coming along!! Wish I had some pics but it will be a while before I can go up and snap some. :( Have some other things that we need to take care of in the next couple of weeks.....moving and all that goes along with that!!

Just got an update from the machine shop on the 440 for the Charger.

"I've got all the parts in (except the cam) and all the machine work is about done." The 452 heads have been machined and assembled and they are ready. "We should be able to start assembly late next week."

Now it is going to be a matter if we can get closed on our house, moved and settled in a bit so I can make the drive up to watch them fire it up on the dyno. Also will stop in and get some current pics of the Charger.

Just got an email from the shop that is doing the re-assembly on the Charger. Sounds like it is coming along. The K member is out and the vinyl top is installed. He is ready to order the Vintage Air system and have the suspension parts powder coated! All the new wire harness order has been delivered to his shop! He said he would try to get some pics in the next week or so since I have not had a chance to get up there.

Since the body shop working on the Duster has not updated me....how about some updated pics on the Charger!

Attachments

• 71 Charger New Top 7-31-2012.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 827
  • 71 Charger 7-31-2012 New Top.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 810
  • 71 Charger New Top Black 7-31-2012.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 837
  • 71 Charger 7-31-2012 K member out .jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 816
  • 71 Charger Dash Out 7-31-2012.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 825
That is coming along good. At that rate you may be ready by CIC4. May be at Cars and Coffee this Saturday.

That is coming along good. At that rate you may be ready by CIC4. May be at Cars and Coffee this Saturday.

I hope to have a few cars ready this year for the Canyon show! Wish I could meet you over at Cars and Coffee this weekend but we are moving this weekend. House finally was completed Friday and we closed yesterday!

Just got another update from the machine shop!

Attachments

• 71 Charger Motor 7-31-2012.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 833
Man you sure are a patient fellow. I don't think I could endure
this situation. I would have sold everything by now and bought
a finished car instead.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

Attachments

• end of season 006.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 813
It has been a really long road on the Duster. But the Charger is in the right hands now! I hope that it goes well and I can get the same shop to redo another car for me as soon as the Charger is done. If not I may be selling off all my projects and buying a finished car. That is unless you want to trade your Demon off! I have been searching for my old 71 340 Demon...GY8 gold, factory hood scoop and rear wing car. But it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Have you checked out my Youtube video on the restoration of
my 71 Demon?? It's 27 minutes long. The restoration took 12 months
from start to finish. Just search "1971 Dodge Demon restoration"
and you will find it.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

Attachments

• Home in garage 015.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 813
Ordered the Polygraphite® performance super front end kit today from Performance Suspension Technology. I was also planning to order some torsion bars but don't know if I should go with Mopar Performance .92 or .96 bars?

Moving is almost complete!! We are leaving tomorrow to go up and watch the machine shop dyno the 440 for the Charger. I hope to have time to stop in the to check on the cars while I am up there.

Motor specs.....

440 bored to 4.351 inches - so ~446 ci
9.5:1 compression Speed Pro forged pistons
452 iron heads with 88cc chambers with 2.14/1.81 valves
Comp cam 274xe hyd cam
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
800 Edelbrock carb

Motor ran good and should make a nice cruiser!

Made it back home. I stopped in to check on the Duster. It has not been touched. That makes it over 2 years since it has been worked on.

For so positive news, the Charger is progressing really well. The glass is starting to go in. He is also currently working on the dash. Starting with the heater box and installing a new heater core. Anyway, here are the numbers for the 440 that is going in the Charger.

Attachments

• Charger Motor On Dyno 8-11-2012.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 741
  • Charger Motor Dyno Numbers.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 767
  • Charger Motor Dyno Graph.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 739
Almost forgot...found an 8.75 laying around that will now be used in the Charger. We got it loaded up and ready to be rebuilt. It came out of a 72 Charger. It is a 3.23 Sure Grip rear end.

Attachments

• Charger Rear End 8-11-2012.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 761
Need to get in touch with painter and see if he would consider getting it done in time to present it to the better half for Christmas.

We are going to wait to do anything about the Duster until the Charger is finished. At that time we likely will have to find a 3rd shop to finish the Duster.

Poor A-Bodys always 2nd fiddle . . .

Actually, I like them all. We made sure to purchase one of each....A-B-E-F, a D100, and even a D500.

Our 71 Dart was the first car to be redone, which was from 2004-07.

Attachments

• 71 Dart Outside.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 706
Didn't mean second fiddle to you. The body guy... but after what you've been thru its good to be getting forward movement on at least one of the two. Looking good by the way.

-
Back