The 70 Duster......

-
Well, money is an object for me as well. It was not an overnight idea to rebuild these. Lots of months of not buying anything so that I could afford parts when needed. Also these are being rebuilt as drivers, not trailer queens....can't afford or justify the expense of owning a "show only car".

The Duster paint job.... way more money than I planned to spend when it started. However once it was torn down by the first shop I could not see "giving up" and then I would be out money and the car to enjoy later.

As for not being in the same town. My entire family lives in the same town as the car is being done. I try to have family visit the shop as often as I can and I have been up there almost every month for the last 6 months. To top that off...I have known this painter for probably 25 years and had NEVER heard of anyone having any issues EVER. His issues just started 3-4 months into my Duster.....then it sat.......untouched.

Anyway, hind sight is always 20/20 and hopefully I will be driving the Charger....soon!!! Then the focus for me will turn 100% to the Duster....

Almost forgot....

ordered from Classic Industries.....
MW752 - 1970-74 "Tuff Wheel" steering wheel set - BRUSHED FINISH

The good news is I am ALMOST to the end of the order list. Only have stripes, rear speakers, windshield, wheels and tires left on the list. Still undecided on adding a rear Go-Wing or front chin spoiler?????

Duster update....

Heard from the shop that is working on the Duster this afternoon. He had blocked the car again. Then reprimed the body today. Still not on the rotisserie but at least he claims to be working on the car.....:fingers crossed:

My parents went by the shop working on the Duster to check on the progress. Nobody was there.....so no idea if anything really has been done.

This whole deal with the Duster sucks! Not another dime until you feel he's earned every penny you've paid. Then, scoope it up and get it to a shop that "appreciates" and is willing to "work" for their customer's money.

I'm bumming out just reading this. The Charger seems to be moving along tho.

Joe, the Charger is progressing right along. My parents went by Larry's shop yesterday to deliver the exhaust system so I should get an update this weekend. I know earlier in the week my mom said he had the carpet in and the console was mounted.

On the Duster, well not much I can say there. I got a text from the painter on Thursday and he said he was going to text me some pics on Friday. Never got them. Also the painter said his "meadia blaster guy" came out to look at the car and they are "scheduled for latter part of next week". The text said he (the painter) was going to have the engine compartment and underside blasted then he will coat the areas blasted. Then paint both areas the next day. Only time will tell.....

Here are some Duster pics from my early December trip to check on it...

Attachments

• FJ5DusterDec2012.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 798
  • FJ5DusterDec2012CoreSupport.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 774
  • FJ5DusterDec2012InspectionMark.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 777
Just got a call from jdr2483 (my brother). He stopped by to check on the Duster and it was being worked on! The painter told him that the car was going on the rotisserie tomorrow so that the media blasting company could come out Wednesday.

I am not saying that it will happen, but at least it sounds like he is still working on the Duster!! Maybe I can get some pics in the next week or two from the shop and actually see some real progress.......man I hope!

Well got a couple more text pics (lol) from the shop working on the Duster. Still not on the rotisserie. :( He said he main body was all block sanded and was getting ready to spray the final primer on.....

Attachments

• 70 Duster Dec 27, 2012.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 739
  • 70 Duster on Dec 27, 2012.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 757
The weather here is messing things up. That is still no excuse since it should have be done long ago.

Guess the "good" weather gave him time to paint the fancy golf cart a few weeks ago! But I guess since he appears to be working on the Duster now, I can't complain!

No updates on the Charger.....I have not heard anything on it.

Last time I heard from the body man, they were going to media blast the engine compartment and underside of the car today. Hopefully will have some of those pics soon!!!

No news on the Duster......hope it did not get pushed aside again.

However I did get an update on the Charger........it looks a little dusty from sitting in the shop but it is moving right along!!!!!

Parts Larry got locally that were need for the car...
AC expansion valve
Radiator hoses (2)
Wrinkle paint for air cleaner
Fuel line unions
Fan belts (kept the boxes with PN)
Emission control tank lines

Ordered for Charger Jan 2, 2013 from Performance Car Graphics.......
Hood cowl/ upper body side stripes (matte black)
powerbulge hood center black out (no lettering) matte black
air cleaner decal
tire pressure decal
jack instructions
antifreeze decal
Key depress decal

Attachments

• 71 Charger Jan 1, 2013.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 688
  • 71 Charger Jan 1, 2013 RearEnd.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 669
  • 71 Charger Jan 1, 2013 Engine Jan 1, 2013.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 670
Duster lift kit installed........ :)

Attachments

• 70 Duster Jan 2, 2013 offroad version.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 680
The story of the Duster project...in a picture. "Almost upside down". Well more than upside down, really. :(

Attachments

• 70 Duster Jan 2, 2013 on side.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Duster Jan 2, 2013.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 660
  • 70 Duster Jan 2, 2013 interior.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 656
Media blast company is "suppose to be" coming out Friday to do the inside, under carriage and trunk area. Body guy has been and will continue scraping the undercoating off until then.

Attachments

• 70 Duster Jan 2, 2013 upside down.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 651
Picked up a couple of things locally today for the Charger...will have some pics later in the week.

Local stereo shop.....
Rear speakers

Advance Auto Parts....
Optima battery

On the Duster.....no change. Still not media blasted.

Man oh man, do you ever have patience and a big bank account.
The parts purchases are unreal...
I have been down this road before and I vowed never to do it this way
again. The cheapest way is.......... to buy a car already done.

Good luck
Wilson
Ontario Canada :)

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 626
  • water heater 002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 625
It would be cheaper to buy a done car and I think about doing that from time to time. However, I know exactly what has been done and by who. I don't have to change things to the way I would want them. Plus, most of the fun for me is taking a car sitting out in a field and watching it progress into a decent car. I don't like owning "someone's old car".

I may drive it a year or so until the Duster is finished and on the road. Then sell the Charger and drive/enjoy the Duster until the next car is done.

As for the "big bank account"...if was ever "big", it is not anymore after this project!

I know what you mean about what has been done and by whom
and what quality of workmanship was involved.
My Demon was just a shell too;at one point but I bought the most
complete car I could afford to avoid buying all the stuff that nickel
and dimes you to death during a restoration.

Wilson

Start to finish took 12 months and 20k.

Attachments

• water heater 017.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 100_3921.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 100_3873.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 615
  • 012.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_3545.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 604
Charger is progressing very nicely!

Attachments

• 71 Charger Dash January 2013.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 71 Charger Headliner January 2013.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 574
  • 71 Charger Tail End January 2013.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 590
  • 71 Charger Engine January 2013.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 575
Also delivered the driveshaft to Allied Driveline to have it re-tubed, balanced and install new HD u-joints. When I stopped back by Larry's to pick up the old 8 1/4 from the Charger. He was installing the console! (Insert crappy cell phone pic)

Attachments

• 71 Charger console in JAN 10, 2013.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 589
Also stopped by to check on the Duster while in town.....

Attachments

• 70 Duster Trunk Lid Jan 2013.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 70 Duster Trunk Floor Jan 2013.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 596
  • 70 Duster Undercarriage Jan 2013.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 604
  • 70 Duster Under Jan 2013.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 70 Duster Floors Jan 2013.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 591
  • 70 Duster Firewall Jan 2013.jpg