The '74 Ruster

-
Doing some good work, You should consider Getting a 72 and Back Rear Bumper and Brackets would look a lot better and save weight. My car came with one thankfully bt has those Stupid Bumper Guards.

Attachments

• 0duster8.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 216
Doing some good work, You should consider Getting a 72 and Back Rear Bumper and Brackets would look a lot better and save weight. My car came with one thankfully bt has those Stupid Bumper Guards.

Am I missing something? it looks like our bumpers are the same.

I'm saving weight by removing rusted metal :lol:

Edit: Upon further inspection, mine has rivets in it, your's doesn't. I kind of like the "industrial" look of mine, but that stuff will come later in time.

The 72 bumpers don't have those huge, heavy shock impact absorbers that are shown in the last pic you posted on post #24. There's also the huge steel reinforcement that sits inside the bumper that you may not have seen yet; the 72 does not have that, either. Together, all of that is probably close to 100lbs. Also, the 72 bumper fits up snugger to the rear of the car and doesn't stick out so far on the sides, so it has a cleaner look.

The 72 bumpers don't have those huge, heavy shock impact absorbers that are shown in the last pic you posted on post #24. There's also the huge steel reinforcement that sits inside the bumper that you may not have seen yet; the 72 does not have that, either. Together, all of that is probably close to 100lbs. Also, the 72 bumper fits up snugger to the rear of the car and doesn't stick out so far on the sides, so it has a cleaner look.

I have seen threads of guys drilling holes in the "shocks" on the rear bumper to relieve pressure, then they push the bumper in and weld it in place to get the snugger fit. That is what I am thinking of doing.

I have seen threads of guys drilling holes in the "shocks" on the rear bumper to relieve pressure, then they push the bumper in and weld it in place. That is what I am thinking of doing.

That's a common BMW e28/30 mod, you just drill the shocks, then drive or push it into a tree til it's compressed in the housing. Weld the corners. I have it done (Without the welding) on the e28 parts/shell I've been trying to sell.

I like that you take this project on despite lack of welding expertise, get a welder and go to it. Way to go!

Subscribed.

I have seen threads of guys drilling holes in the "shocks" on the rear bumper to relieve pressure, then they push the bumper in and weld it in place to get the snugger fit. That is what I am thinking of doing.

That's pretty much what I did to mine, but I also took them apart and cut the rod off on the inside. Then I drilled and tapped some holes and put bolts in once I got it pushed in to where I wanted it. It's still a little wider than the earlier bumpers, so it still looks funny. I also cut most of the brace out of the rear bumper, and only left the part that bolts to the mounts. That cut about 60 lbs.

How about getting that back half set up cut from the Tom Myl resto?

I like that you take this project on despite lack of welding expertise, get a welder and go to it. Way to go!

Subscribed.

There is a whole lot of "Despite lack of" that will be going on in this thread. I'm determined to make something out of this.

-
Back