The best suspension upgrade for cornering?

-

tubs429

Reaction score
I don't post often on here, but I want to upgrade my rear suspension seeing as it is totally stock. I like autocrossing more than drag racing and I've read about 4-links and ladder bars but i can't seem to find out which one helps with cornering better. I was hoping someone on here could help.

Consult the SCCA rulebook before making modifications to your car if you wish to autocross. It would be a shame to spend thousands on a suspension redesign only to end up in a class where you have no hope of being competitive.

AutoXcuda on this site is into autocross. If he doesn't weigh in on your post in a couple of days fire a PM at him. He's been helpful to me with front end setup.

What else have you done to the car? It's a system. List all the suspension stuff you've done so far.

No need for some uber trick rear suspension if you are running BFG 60 series radial T/A's.

I'd run stock 340 leafs (stock arch) with a Hellwig tubular and adjustable rear sway bar. Then some QA1 shocks. Add rear poly shackle bushings. If you want to press out the front rubber bushings put poly in there.

Ladder bars are NOT for handling. If you feel you want to go linked rear, look at Bill Reily or XV.

ButtonwillowPic5.jpg

Check out reillymotorsports they have a great system called street lynx that is great for handling. I'm actually in the process of saving for my Dana 60,Street Lynx suspension, and my Willwood disc brakes.
But I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

If you are decent in fab work and good with calculations you can get a lot of great pics and ideas from XV engineering. Thats my plan. I love fabrication work though.

QA1's made a HUGE difference in my car! i have Firm Feel sway bars also that i personally think are top notch units. weld in sub-frames from UScartool made the biggest difference so far. i am working on a rebuilt box from Firm Feel and some upper arms from them down the road. the last time i autocrossed mine,i outran my dentist in his new '06 amg mercedes.

Check out reillymotorsports they have a great system called street lynx that is great for handling. I'm actually in the process of saving for my Dana 60,Street Lynx suspension, and my Willwood disc brakes.
But I hope this helps and good luck with your project.

A Dana 60 is pretty damn heavy for a car built for handling, especially something smaller like an A-body. That Street-Lynx system looks pretty sweet though.

Man I just checked out autocross in my area it looks well put together and fun as heck! I think Ill be playing with this next season! Looks like a blast and a bit of a challenge to get my car set up like I want it anyhow.
Sweet!

thanks everyone for your input it seems like a 4 link is my best bet for I'm wanting to do with the car

I'd put the suspension/steering/tires/wheels/brakes at about 10K.

I'd put the suspension/steering/tires/wheels/brakes at about 10K.

I agree. I have Bill's RMS Alterktion front, with his street linx for the rear, American racing 17X8 front with nitto 555 245/45/17, and 17X11 rear 315/35/17...car should handle like a dream..but i do have close to 10k in that setup..

How much better is a 4-link setup such as the Street Lynx than an upgraded stock leaf setup? I'd want to upgrade the front suspension on my '70 Duster just with T-bars and the other usual stuff to save money but I still don't know how well the stock rear setup can do.

some fresh springs, quality sway bars and shocks will serve you very well.
ma mopar did a pretty good job engineering these cars. using updated parts in stock configuration will go a long ways in acheiving your goals without killing the wallet.

I would tie the frame as well, and brace the rad core support. Helps the suspension do it's job.

How much better is a 4-link setup such as the Street Lynx than an upgraded stock leaf setup? I'd want to upgrade the front suspension on my '70 Duster just with T-bars and the other usual stuff to save money but I still don't know how well the stock rear setup can do.

The stock leaf spring Mopar setup is very capable. Most open wheel dirt circle track cars use Mopar type leaf spring in their GM based chassis' that originally came with a 4 link coil spring setup.

Mary Pozzi in a Pro Turing Camaro has won and beat out many super trick 4 and 3 link setup in Goodguys autocross events. Granted the driver makes a big difference and she is a national caliber SCCA Solo II driver.

A well thought out linked rear has the last little big of refinement and precision that a leaf spring lacks. You will not use that bit of refinement on the street. That refinement is going to be felt and ultilized on the track and by an experianced driver.

Now if you are going for a "look" and need air bags to do that, a linked rear and coil over front is sort of a requirement.

The stock leaf spring Mopar setup is very capable. Most open wheel dirt circle track cars use Mopar type leaf spring in their GM based chassis' that originally came with a 4 link coil spring setup.

Mary Pozzi in a Pro Turing Camaro has won and beat out many super trick 4 and 3 link setup in Goodguys autocross events. Granted the driver makes a big difference and she is a national caliber SCCA Solo II driver.

A well thought out linked rear has the last little big of refinement and precision that a leaf spring lacks. You will not use that bit of refinement on the street. That refinement is going to be felt and ultilized on the track and by an experianced driver.

Now if you are going for a "look" and need air bags to do that, a linked rear and coil over front is sort of a requirement.

hey autoxcuda, did you go to the good guys swap meet last weekend? they had a little autocross track going on, i think i saw that mary pozzi, with her 72 camaro? was that her?

hey autoxcuda, did you go to the good guys swap meet last weekend? they had a little autocross track going on, i think i saw that mary pozzi, with her 72 camaro? was that her?

I'm sure it was with a red camero. I just saw pictures.

I don't live up there. I live in So Cal.

and the triangulated 4 link (upper arms angled) rms shows has its own probs in the handling department. ask any fox body mustnag owner! if i had a choice, 3 link w/panhard bar.... aka s197 mustang.

nice cuda autox! had my 68 amx out a few times yrs ago, a buddy brought his 68 340 4spd cuda out as well, my auto (bw m12) just couldnt keep up :( was a ton of fun tho!

So any specific instructions on how to maximize potential with leafs? I'm building a car for a strict class and want to make it as competitive as possible. Besides I'm probably not a good enough driver to be able to use that extra bit anyway.

-
Back