the great mask debate

do you wear a mask when you go out?

• Total voters
-
Never happen..... Social media keeps anything and everything in the country that is uncivil at the top of the Page..... Nope, what you are seeing is the ugly side of what the media can do now that we all have it in the palm of our hands.....

JW

If you have not seen it there is a show on Netflix called the Social Dilemma. Covers exactly this. Its worth a watch.

If you have not seen it there is a show on Netflix called the Social Dilemma. Covers exactly this. Its worth a watch.

I already cringe...... It's going to have a major cause and effect on the social skills and human interaction X10 imo. What we see now is just the tip of the Iceberg....

JW

There is always an alternative and you will make your choice.

I choose to patronize businesses which do not hassle me or follow me around the store trying to get me to muzzle up. They all have signs posted, but some do not enforce it and that's where I shop. That is as much of an alternative as I'm willing to compromise.

I already cringe...... It's going to have a major cause and effect on the social skills and human interaction X10 imo. What we see now is just the tip of the Iceberg....

JW

The creator of google, and facebook or some of them. I do not remember exactly but they agree. They said they thought they were creating something great, but he now feels like he may have been one of the three horseman. He feels like he truly has a hand in the end of civil society.

He says this in the film.

The creator of google, and facebook or some of them. I do not remember exactly but they agree. They said they thought they were creating something great, but he now feels like he may have been one of the three horseman. He feels like he truly has a hand in the end of civil society.

Our society has already started to come unwound. The protest over the summer was much more than just someone losing their life. It was also a social experiment and a way for people to see how badly they could treat one another....

JW

Three? There are four horsemen. :eek::D

I have an opinion, but I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that fitted. I do wear a mask in stores and other indoor public places. It is an ordinance here. I go along with it because I believe it as a courtesy to others, and it does help protect me to some extent. I do believe that masks can help. Obviously, the virus can get through a cloth mask, but remember that the virus is attached to water droplets, and many of those can be stopped by a mask. I have never heard a believable statistic on how much good masks can actually do, because there are so many people who want us to be afraid, who do you believe. I do not, however, wear a mask outside. Once I am safely outside the store, the mask comes off. If someone 20 feet away in the parking lot says anything, I smile and say have a nice day. I DO believe that COVID is a potentially deadly disease, but it's danger has been blown way out of proportion. It is truly sad that so many people have died, but for the most part, the deaths have been elderly people with underlying medical conditions. The actual death rate for non-elderly people without underlying medical conditions has been suppressed. I take reasonable precautions, but I am not going to stop living. That is as good as I can do without injecting politics. That would increase the size of this post exponentially.

I have an opinion, but I didn't vote because there wasn't an option that fitted. I do wear a mask in stores and other indoor public places. It is an ordinance here. I go along with it because I believe it as a courtesy to others, and it does help protect me to some extent. I do believe that masks can help. Obviously, the virus can get through a cloth mask, but remember that the virus is attached to water droplets, and many of those can be stopped by a mask. I have never heard a believable statistic on how much good masks can actually do, because there are so many people who want us to be afraid, who do you believe. I do not, however, wear a mask outside. Once I am safely outside the store, the mask comes off. If someone 20 feet away in the parking lot says anything, I smile and say have a nice day. I DO believe that COVID is a potentially deadly disease, but it's danger has been blown way out of proportion. It is truly sad that so many people have died, but for the most part, the deaths have been elderly people with underlying medical conditions. The actual death rate for non-elderly people without underlying medical conditions has been suppressed. I take reasonable precautions, but I am not going to stop living. That is as good as I can do without injecting politics. That would increase the size of this post exponentially.

That is what I thought would fit in option 2

I wore my mask but still got covid, probably from family members, my brother got it first, then my stepdaughter, she works on the covid floor at TJ Sampson Hospital , my grandkids got it from her, I think that's where me and my wife got it, it's been bad in my area , I live in southern Kentucky close to the Tennessee line and it has wreaked havoc on my friends and family, so far we have lost 3, my wife is still very sick but at least shes out of the hospital, it's taking its toll on me but I'm finally beating it, still have bad headache but breathing better, sad thing is I had to miss alot of loved ones funerals because of it, this stuff really sux, I'll be glad when it's over and hope I don't lose any more loved ones.

1 **** care.jpg

Well, this debate is good. (1) This is not a Rights issue. It's a Health issue. How sad it is that it was turned into a Political issue, when it's not. (2) A Mask is a barrier, so it will definitely block air borne particles. Block everything? Probably not. A simple barrier that could protect your health or someone else - Yes. We wear the masks to paint right? Yea, it sucks, but we should all do it to try and knock this thing out.
Unless its an Sn95 mask its useless. Yes you can wear a mask but if you are not protecting your eyes you are still vulnerable. And most of the people that wear a mask are constantly pulling at it or touching it. And like the hospital you should be using the masks and disposing of them often throughout the day. There is a reason that you see nurses and doctors covered from head to toe with protective gear when they are caring for people with this virus.

I work in a hospital and walk the entire hospital every night, including the Covid units.

A week ago the hospital mandated N95 masks and face shields be worn by every patient facing caregiver (doctors, nurses, respiratory care, phlebotomists, etc). Each caregiver was issued three N95 masks. They are to rotate through them daily. They wear one for a shift, then the next mask on the next shift, and so on...for a month! I wear a surgical mask 10 hours a day for 4-5 days unless it gets dirty or wet.

They just don't have enough for 4000 employees to change them often.

Since I wear them 10 hours a day at work, I don't wear them when I'm off work. That, and its a virus, if you're going to get it, you're going to get it. I refuse to live my life scared of going anywhere.

Funny story that shows just how silly people can be about this virus. There's a department that has to perform procedures on Covid positive patients. In their small waiting room they have two metal framed love seats. When they get a Covid patient, they drag both love seats across the floor, into the bathroom and close the door, then wheel the Covid patient, in the bed, into the waiting room. Their thought is the love seats won't get exposed if they are in the bathroom! These are educated medical professionals!!

I wonder if the virus knows not to go under the 3/4" gap in the bottom of the door!!!

The CDC guidelines state, for a non negative pressure room, to wait 3 hours and the furniture and floor can be wiped down with disinfectant. The housekeeper doesn't require any special PPE, just the normal gloves and a surgical mask.

For a negative pressure room (of which we have many now, including many in the ER), the wait time is 1 hour.

If a TRU-d ultraviolet light system is available to treat the room, we put that in immediately after a Covid patient leaves to kill all pathogens, then clean the room as normal.

The issue is there is so much nonsensical rules that it makes it hard to take it as serious. Christmas shopping in an outdoor mall one store had ropes with an exit this side, enter this side. They were on the same 6 foot cement square! Then walking to the door some sales guy flies out the door, steps in front of us and tells us we would need to wait until someone left the store. I said Bye!

How did the whole mask thing end up working out?
We got through it. Did it work? Who's to know. Many didn't get sick with them but who's to say they wouldn't have gotten sick anyway. People who wore them got sick anyway. Did they work? Can't say for sure.

We got through it. Did it work? Who's to know. Many didn't get sick with them but who's to say they wouldn't have gotten sick anyway. People who wore them got sick anyway. Did they work? Can't say for sure.

Ok. Well now you don't have to guess.

Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews Review - Intervention
Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses
Tom JeffersonLiz DooleyEliana FerroniLubna A Al-AnsaryMieke L van DrielGhada A BawazeerMark A JonesTammy C HoffmannJustin ClarkElaine M BellerPaul P GlasziouJohn M ConlyAuthors' declarations of interest
Version published: 30 January 2023 Version history

Collapse all Expand all
Abstract
Available in
English Español فارسی Français ภาษาไทย
Background
Viral epidemics or pandemics of acute respiratory infections (ARIs) pose a global threat. Examples are influenza (H1N1) caused by the H1N1pdm09 virus in 2009, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003, and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID‐19) caused by SARS‐CoV‐2 in 2019. Antiviral drugs and vaccines may be insufficient to prevent their spread. This is an update of a Cochrane Review last published in 2020. We include results from studies from the current COVID‐19 pandemic.

Objectives
To assess the effectiveness of physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of acute respiratory viruses.

Nothing worse than a cashier wearing a mask standing behind a glass partition at the bank explaining something.

Nothing worse than a cashier wearing a mask standing behind a glass partition at the bank explaining something.
And I laugh at the tellers at the drive up who wear then. . Yet they handle thousands of dollars worth of checks and cash daily and lick their fingers when they are counting bills. LMAO

Wearing a cloth mask for a virus, is like putting up a chain link fence to keep mosquitoes out of your yard.
When I still see someone wearing those useless p.o.s., I can't decide if I have sympathy or contempt for their stupidity and gullibility.

-
Back