The great stroker discussion!! 4in or more

-

dadodgekid

When in doubt... floor it
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many folks have a 4" stroke small block in your cars, drivers, street/strip, drag car, truck, whatever it maybe. How do you like it? Any crazy storys of blowing one apart? Just wondering. Im really on the fence about going to big block or staying small block and building a 400+ small block. Im already ahead by having the small block setup... But a big block is always in my thoughts lol

Very general question... There must be thousands ot them.
They only blow apart when you step too hard on them and/or the machine work/assembly was shxxxy.

Very general question... There must be thousands ot them.
They only blow apart when you step too hard on them and/or the machine work/assembly was shxxxy.

I know, but im bored on my couch, recovering from surgery so i figured i would start my own. :popcorn:

The 4" small block IMO is the ultimate in street car power plants. They're lighter, more compact, have good heads available, lots of induction types, lots of bolt on headers, and more torque right off idle than any mild 440 or standard stroke big block. I do love my big, and big-ER big blocks. But truth is it's hard to beat a stroked small block A body in most driving/racing situations.

The 4" small block IMO is the ultimate in street car power plants. They're lighter, more compact, have good heads available, lots of induction types, lots of bolt on headers, and more torque right off idle than any mild 440 or standard stroke big block. I do love my big, and big-ER big blocks. But truth is it's hard to beat a stroked small block A body in most driving/racing situations.

I have to tend to agree with this. The 417 I currently have is a good running engine. Runs on 91 octane and will run 10's all day day long. Besides a low 8 second 3rd gen turbo Hemi Dart, I am the only one in my local group that has a small block and it's actually the fastest of our street cars. One car is a Trick Flow headed 440 Dart, another with a 505" with 440 Source heads in a 330, and a 512 Challenger with Eddy heads. They're always shaking their heads in disbelief that this little small block will pull on them. Don't ask me why. The combo just works.

Thats what im talkin about man! Whats your best pass yet with your car clint??

I have to tend to agree with this. The 417 I currently have is a good running engine. Runs on 91 octane and will run 10's all day day long. Besides a low 8 second 3rd gen turbo Hemi Dart, I am the only one in my local group that has a small block and it's actually the fastest of our street cars. One car is a Trick Flow headed 440 Dart, another with a 505" with 440 Source heads in a 330, and a 512 Challenger with Eddy heads. They're always shaking their heads in disbelief that this little small block will pull on them. Don't ask me why. The combo just works.

I've got about 10K miles on my 416 stroker. 9.7:1, TTI's, mild port edlebrock, cast balanced scat kit, comp 274-s solid cam.

Blast it at the track up to 5800 rpm or so down straights... Then drive it 80 miles home. Cruise at 3600 rpm. Very reliable. Can idle in real hot weather and put around town.

I have a 416 runs on pump gas idles at 900 rpm.Dynoed at 502 hp 590 ft lbs of torque.12 mpg

Clint do you remember a 70-? duster about the same color as ur car, that used to win quite a bit at Tulsa? had a 499 inch big block that they had to back the big dominator off, to keep the bottom end together. it went mid 9`s backed off, was close to being a clone of you car, maybe a little more race orientated. I would personally build a big small block if I were doing it over, just because mine is so crowded it`s harder to work on.

over 10K miles on mine. Brian(IMM) opened it up when one of the T&D rockers ate its bearing, and found no other issues, so slight changes and back together. Around 580HP at 6800RPM. We wound it up to 7400, to see if the HP would drop off, and it stayed the same, never dropped.
All around street car, with an A500 behind it, rev limit it to 7100.

Blast to drive anywhere, anytime. With the 3.55s, cruising at 2400 at 75 is nice.

over 10K miles on mine. Brian(IMM) opened it up when one of the T&D rockers ate its bearing, and found no other issues, so slight changes and back together. Around 580HP at 6800RPM. We wound it up to 7400, to see if the HP would drop off, and it stayed the same, never dropped.

Blast to drive anywhere, anytime. With the 3.55s, cruising at 2400 at 75 is nice.
kick a$$

Thats pretty killer!! I like the 2400 @75 mph lol what kind of car is it in??

my avatar, and sig, 71Dart.
I run Nitto 555Rs. Punish them too.

Clint do you remember a 70-? duster about the same color as ur car, that used to win quite a bit at Tulsa? had a 499 inch big block that they had to back the big dominator off, to keep the bottom end together. it went mid 9`s backed off, was close to being a clone of you car, maybe a little more race orientated. I would personally build a big small block if I were doing it over, just because mine is so crowded it`s harder to work on.

Can't say I'm familiar with it. Sounds like a sweet car though!

what rear tires to you guys run on your 500 - 600 HP A bodies?

Drag radials! Street tires are awful. I run 325/50/15 MT ET Streets but looking to go up to their 30" radial.

Thats what im talkin about man! Whats your best pass yet with your car clint??

So far 10.55 and around 127 mph. Should be a 10.40 car once it starts getting better 60' times.

Scat and Eagle both offer forged cranks. Both forged cranks have been reported as very good.
They come in both 318 & 360 mains.

Eagles cast crank has a bad rap.

Last edited:
If I'm going to stroke it I figured forged would be the way to go. Does this kit require special rods or does it use the std size rod?

Yes. Some have the standard rod journal and some have the "Generic" rod journal.

What's the difference for you?

-
Back