The Grey Area

-
AB3A42DB-BE69-446F-9382-18B735A5A3A6.gif
its funny even the second time

Last edited:
I think most would agree it seems the car should be registered according to the unibody vin.
I have avoided 2 cars now that were dash swapped and legally registered with ownerships reflecting the transferred dash with it's vin tag undisturbed.
Not a car i would want but I bet this is done all the time.
I wonder how the actual US and Canadian Laws are written?

US law says the VIN can't be transferred to another vehicle with the goal to represent the second vehicle as the one that VIN represents. Least as I understand it. That's as cut and dried as it gets. It is not "done all the time". It IS done often and is a constant issue for the industry, and always illegally IMO.

Ok...you could have a situation where the new unibody only represents 10 or 15 percent of the car when finished...is the law fair?

Laws are not meant to be fair or unfair. They are just the law. lol

The law is an ***.

It is completely legal to change every single component and piece of sheetmetal under, over and around that VIN tag. People get their knickers in a knot if you do it too quickly, however.

Change the doors in January, the quarters in February, the trunk and roof in March, the drivetrain in April, the interior in May, the front clip in June, the firewall and floor in July, the bumpers, lights and gas tank in August, the wiring in September, etc...... change the whole car over the course of a year without taking it off the road and you’ve done nothing wrong.

Every inch of the car is allowed to be replaced. People get concerned about the timeframe.....do it all at once and you’re a criminal. Do it slowly and you’re a restorer.

Laws are not meant to be fair or unfair. They are just the law. lol
My kids are not allowed to complain something is not "fair"
Because fair is where piggies go to compete for ribbons
So if I catch them whining something is not fair, I make them oink like piggies

Now, just or unjust, that we can discuss

My kids are not allowed to complain something is not "fair"
Because fair is where piggies go to compete for ribbons
So if I catch them whining something is not fair, I make them oink like piggies

Now, just or unjust, that we can discuss
I like that but the fair also has really good tasting bad food. The smoked turkey leg or smoked corn cob is outstanding.

It can be done,as a custom built car, would likely need both vin numbers,a completed safety and a structural integrity check.

By rebuilding everything around the vin tags it remains as the original car.

Reason i could guess why moving a vin tag is so frowned upon is the possibility of putting a stolen car on the road.

And we travel down this moral dilemma again? It's simple if this doesn't bother you it will continue to be done. Right or Wrong, legal or illegal. All I can add as a final comment, BUYER BEWARE!

I Bet this guy is against VIN swaps.
When I moved out to California last December. I left my three vehicles in the custody of my step daughter who promised me that she would look after them. Fast forward to last Wednesday. I called her and she told me "all three vehicles were stolen from her property". I do not believe she is telling me the truth. I think she forged my signature on the titles and sold these vehicles. I am heartbroken not knowing where my Duster is. My late wife bought me this vehicle and this car has a ton of meaning to me. I contacted the Sheriff in Johnston County NC and they took a report on all three vehicles. 2000 Ford F150 pickup, 2000 Hyundai Sonata, and 1973 Plymouth Duster. Now I guess I just have to wait until they investigate. If anyone out here has any information on where this vehicle may be. Please contact Detective Chris Adams at 919-989-5081. Or e mail at [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1715111228

View attachment 1715111229

View attachment 1715111230

I had those same questions when I built my S-clone, from a 68slanty chassis.
I did not like the 68Dash, and I had accumulated several other Rally-Dash assemblies.I had a 70-Duster340 rallye-dash,from a car I parted out decades ago, that was in real good shape. And I had 2 FormulaS parts cars; a 68 roll-over, and a 69 rust-bucket, and a Commando dash. The decision was easy for me; the original slanty VIN went onto the "replacement dash" frame.And since Day1, I have always called it my S-clone. Even when I went to register it.Manitoba Public Insurance Corp, didn't care as long as I had a Bill Of Sale from the previous owner,and the VIN numbers matched. And they didn't even come out to verify that. Makes you wonder,EH?
And to top it off, the dashpad is a 73.

Lookit her tail; she likes it.
OOps almost forgot; lol.

As a kid in the late 50s,I watched my grampa put several rifle bullets in a cow's head one fall at slaughter time. She barely even reeled. Eventually I guess Grampa found the secret spot and down she went.
Have you ever peered into a cow's skull? The cranial cavity is not very big, it is well protected,and it must be mostly mush, cuz the few cows I have known are as dumb as dumb can be.

Last edited:
The law is an ***.

It is completely legal to change every single component and piece of sheetmetal under, over and around that VIN tag. People get their knickers in a knot if you do it too quickly, however.

Change the doors in January, the quarters in February, the trunk and roof in March, the drivetrain in April, the interior in May, the front clip in June, the firewall and floor in July, the bumpers, lights and gas tank in August, the wiring in September, etc...... change the whole car over the course of a year without taking it off the road and you’ve done nothing wrong.

Every inch of the car is allowed to be replaced. People get concerned about the timeframe.....do it all at once and you’re a criminal. Do it slowly and you’re a restorer.
I wonder about this. My Dart has had the hood, front fenders, front inner fenders, front floor pans, passenger's door, both quarters, both outer wheel wells, and a possibly different dash, as I had to buy the special rivets to put the tag back on. The number matches the one on the trunk seal lip. The Florida police sent a cop to verify the car. So, at what point is it an original car, or a replacement car, built over time using the original vin? And is it any different than just putting the vin on a better car? You wpuld just be adding all the replacement parts at once.

...So, at what point is it an original car, or a replacement car, built over time using the original vin? And is it any different than just putting the vin on a better car? You would just be adding all the replacement parts at once.

Yeah, you're driving a replacement car. Might just as well have jacked up the VIN tag, removed the car, and driven another car under the tag before re-affixing it.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned. You have a Dart, so the swastika crew members here will give you a pass. Had you owned a six pack 'Cuda however, different story.

My point exactly, everyone knows what the law seems to be.I was just looking for logical input like yours.If you start with a ralley dash with undisturbed vin number and completely build a car around it using replacement parts i'm convinced you would be legal.

-
Back