The Grey Area

-

ir3333

Reaction score
Now i'm sure this is done every day....You have a desirable muscle car with a rotten frame and floors.So you get a standard model that's solid underneath and transfer all the good pieces of the muscle car to the standard model unibody.
Say it was a 340 Duster and you transfer the rally dash which carries the Vin # along with the other good parts to the standard car and the fender tag to indicate all the options.The rad support and package tray will have their numbers unchanged.
..Which car is it when it's finished?

Which ever car the vin is for. If you switch the 340 stuff over to a slant 6 car you have a slant 6 car with 340 drivetrain.

It's the illegal car.

Done through proper channels, it's still always the least desirable of the two cars.

No gray area at all.

Moving a dash VIN to another body is a felony.

If you insure it with the 'new' VIN - insurance fraud, felony #2.

in my example you have vin numbers from both cars untouched?
suppose you transfer just the unibody to the 17,449 340 car pieces.
(assumes the duster is like a 68 roadrunner and there are 17,500 total parts)

FOUND!
Another one of the 11 1971 Hemi Cuda convertibles has been found under the bed of a brothel in Salt Lake City.
No one is quite sure how it got there.
But Mopar experts from around the country have verified it and after a complete concourse restoration it is sure to be featured in the “official” publications..
Noted authority Gail Gopher has inspected the car and suggested the use of only NOS parts. "I can absolutely assure all that this car is the real thing" he said.
The restoration is scheduled to begin as soon as a suitable doner car is located.
Also there is talk of launching a new website:
“for1971HemiCudaconvertableownersonly.com” which is expected to have as many as 11 registered users.

bolt-jpg-1714839957-jpg.jpg

in my example you have vin numbers from both cars untouched?
suppose you transfer just the unibody to the 17,449 340 car pieces.
(assumes the duster is like a 68 roadrunner and there are 17,500 total parts)

If you ever take one apart, you will think there are that many.
Also parts either disappear or multiply.
More likely the first.

I used to say that a car running down the assembly line didn't know what it was going to be until the build sheet got thrown on and the fender tag attached. But now that I have an AC car in my shop, I think the decision for that body was made well ahead of the assembly line. Simply because it needed to have a different firewall prior to going through the dip tank.

No gray area. You've effectively ruined both VINs. If it goes to some states (like mine) it would not be able to be registered under the factory ID number because not enough of the vins match for either one. If you don't transfer the non-value car numbers to the rally dash and retain the right tag, it's a hacked up mess and would have to be registered under a DMV issued ID number forever. If you transfer all the high-value numbers, you've just rebodied it. Everyone has an opinion - this is mine: I want a car I like, and that can be registered. I'm not paying a premium because of pedigree. I'm too old to give a crap about them.

I think most would agree it seems the car should be registered according to the unibody vin.
I have avoided 2 cars now that were dash swapped and legally registered with ownerships reflecting the transferred dash with it's vin tag undisturbed.
Not a car i would want but I bet this is done all the time.
I wonder how the actual US and Canadian Laws are written?

Why not just buy new frame, and keep things where they are. Yeah its a bit costly but atleast it wouldn't be fraud

Ok...you could have a situation where the new unibody only represents 10 or 15 percent of the car when finished...is the law fair?

If that’s the case I should have bought a 1 of 30 71 Cuda 340 rusted to the ground and put that Dash and vin in a 80s plymouth Champ.

tell 'em the original rusted (sub) frame and floors are in a box in the trunk.

-
Back