The Mighty 396...NOT!

-
Exactly. 402 somehow didn't have the same pizzazz I guess. Although it was still available as a 375 HP version in 1970.

Wish i still had this one.......i'd teach them a few lesson's!!!

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 66
Exactly. 402 somehow didn't have the same pizzazz I guess. Although it was still available as a 375 HP version in 1970.

Also with aluminum heads for a very short while for the 70 model year (8 weeks I think).

So, if Mopar had simply called the 400 a 383, they might have avoided all the negative stigma associated with those engines, even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with them...hmmm

So, if Mopar had simply called the 400 a 383, they might have avoided all the negative stigma associated with those engines, even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with them...hmmm

Yes, maybe the 383M or some other buzzword. 383+ or something..how about 383-S (for Smog) well, at least they called the 360 a 5.9 and not a 5.7! I chuckle when I see a Tundra with a 5.7 call-out (although that is one advanced 350 right there, boy!) a 302 is more like a 4.9 if you round down. Whatever.

Wow; the 69's had all the class!!!

I have to say i've been a Mopar guy thru my whole life, but I still believe that my 396/325 Chevelle was one of the baddest 325hp cars to ever come off the assembly line. With nothing more then carb & timing tuning, all stock, it went a 13.97 @ 97mph with nothing more then a set of borrowed M&H slicks. I still have the time card, if I can find it.

With the big headers, a decent size General Kinetics solid cam, and a lot more work on the quad, I got it to run 12.85.

I'm not trying to put other cars/engines down by any means. I just think that a 200ish horsepower BBC is a joke.

I've always respect the big chebbie engines. They have a close to Hemi chamber, canted valves, big ports.....either square or oval and they just kinda work even if a chimp bolts um together. Their only drawback is their valve train in stock form. They eat pushrods and rockers. I've had several and I always enjoyed them. Lotsa guts way down low.

Good all around engine design. If I went non Mopar at this point,this would be the way I would go(again).

A stock 70 383 Super Bee/RR is a 14 second car.

Minor mods and/or a good tune can make it a high 13 second car as well.

(and that's a 9.5:1 motor still "rated" at 335)

I've always wondered why the 301 pontiac was called a 4.9 but the 302 ford was a 5.0.

Seems there's a lot of leeway in the conversion, for marketing purposes.

-
Back