The Most Powerful Small Block Mopar..??

-

BrazilMopars

Reaction score
Friends, we are building a small block (R3 block, W9 heads, etc.) to run here in Brazil. We will compete with Fords and Chevys! The question is: What is the most powerful small block mopar that you guys have seen? Recalling that the displacement is limited in 420 CID! Actually, we need an engine of about 1000 horsepower's, just burning methanol..!! It's impossible or not..??

most powerful one i have ever seen is a comp eliminator motor...R4 block...P5 heads...in a Pro Stock Truck...dyno 958 hp with 357 cubic inches...

PST 7.34 184.02 7/24/10 Tom Mettler - Bakersfield, CA '01 Dodge Sonoma, CA

I was thinking the same as "aar". PST/Comp or maybe a Nascar type build. At 2.4hp per cube, that's about as max effort as you can get for a n/a engine. Probably the biggest bore you can get and fill in the rest with whatever stroke will get you there. With the meth i would think 16-18 to 1 as long as the shrouding doesn't get out of control. And then there's the 1" lift and the 10,000+ r's that it'll probably take. Wow! please let us know what kinda combo you come up with. That's about as serious as you can get right there. Answer to your question, Yes i believe you can :thumleft:.

Does it have to be naturally aspirated?

Friends, I will explain some things in our rules.

Only small block with original deck height (9.560"). Displacement limited to 420 cubic inches. Fuel is free, and can mix nitromethane with methanol. Only naturally aspirated engines. Weight of 2.670 Lbs.

It's hard to compete with Ford and Chevy. We do not have the same technology from rivals. Our competitor here (Ford Maverick) did 8.5s @ 163.43 mp/h with 351-W Deck Height..!!

We need 1000 Hp's to stay competitive. And I've never seen a small block Mopar with these rules, have 1000 Hp's..!! Very hard work..!!!

Actually,AAR's comment,along with stroking should get you that number.Especially ,with the nitro twist.Good luck.

I was talking to Mr. Ray Barton, and he told me he has built some Mopar small block with 400 CID, of 1000 horsepower..!!

... The battle continues..!!! Mopar until the day I die..!!:supz:

http://www.rwrengines.com/

Rick Watters Racing Engines, they built the R4-P5 small block...358 cu inches...950 hp...

also builds a 375 small block for John Edwards C/A that runs low 7s

What exactly does the rule book say in regard to block types? "Factory deck height" isn't a big restriction...

my 416 makes 935rwhp which is about 1100 at the flywheel @ 17#s of boost on 93 oct.... i wasnt sure if you could go forced induction...

I don't think the W9 can move enough air... What's the limit on nitro percentage?

o ok.. i missed that part. no this # is with my new engine... the engine that is in my car now...

I was talking to Mr. Ray Barton, and he told me he has built some Mopar small block with 400 CID, of 1000 horsepower..!!

... The battle continues..!!! Mopar until the day I die..!!:supz:
I know Ray , he built quit a few motors for friends of mine back in the 70's and 80's , Race engines on 52nd avenue in Montreal .
If Ray says he can do it it can be done . Good luck , lay waste to them chevies an Fords

What exactly does the rule book say in regard to block types? "Factory deck height" isn't a big restriction...

The block can be 'aftermarket', but it has to be small block, and have a maximum deck height of 9.560'. The maximum displacement is 420cid..!! Can be block with 59º or 48º degree tappet, 4 bolt main cap...!!

I don't think the W9 can move enough air... What's the limit on nitro percentage?

From what I could find, the W9 RP is the best head for this application. Had another head better than the W9? The ideal would be that there is a block for use with P7 head.
The nitromethane is free, you can use all you want.

my 416 makes 935rwhp which is about 1100 at the flywheel @ 17#s of boost on 93 oct.... i wasnt sure if you could go forced induction...

Got it. What type of block you use? A block would be 340? I need to score 8 seconds... maybe 7s..!! Naturally Aspirated..!!!

I know Ray , he built quit a few motors for friends of mine back in the 70's and 80's , Race engines on 52nd avenue in Montreal .
If Ray says he can do it it can be done . Good luck , lay waste to them chevies an Fords

Thanks buddy. I am researching all the resources. Mopar here in Brazil, not have a good reputation. The guys here prefer Ford and Chevy. So I need to show everyone here, the strength of a Mopar. Thanks for the help..!!

This is gonna be a fascinating build to me, way beyond anything i have givin any serious thought to. What's the opinion on the Nitro? I'm having trouble seeing much of a advantage using it. Cylinder pressure has to be high for the meth, and adding the Nitro seems to me would require even more to be effective. Can you even get there on a N/A engine? Just askin', trying to learn from the big boy's :icon_smi:.

If you can mix Nitro with the meth, I dont see why not. Fully ported W9 with that fuel combo, 15-16 to 1 compression, the right cam, the right intake(can you run dual carbs?)

4.200" bore, 3.79" stroke, 6.500" rod in a 48* block. Fully ported W9's will flow some air, 360-370cfm. Power would be in the 5000-9000rpm range

I hope you have deep pockets, this would be about a $40-50K USD build Im guessing.

We are building a engine (R3 block, W9RP heads). And we anticipate about 800/850 Hp's using only methanol. Here in Brazil it is very difficulte, don't have technology to build engines, neither option parts. I'll send some pics of my engine for y'all to see. Is being assembled in the USA ..! I'm using what is best in small block Mopar... so I wait..!! :supz:

Proud to be MOPAR..!!

attachment

-
Back