the old how much power will it make ?????

-

derbyking

Reaction score
helping my buddy build a a 99 dakota pro street/strip truck,his kid is the machinist that did my 505 for my 39 dodge.his dad keeps asking me what i think itll make for power.the motors a pump gas world aluminum block 4.5 stroke 540ci,victor max wedge heads with basic clean up and port matching,victor mw intake,dom carb,solid roller cam .650ish lift .268 ish [email protected](i cant recall exactly)t&d rockers.were going to have to build custom headers and he was thinking 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 primary's with a 4" collector(thoughts on that).i said i thought it should make 700.the motors still in pieces waiting on some parts but i think hes having thoughts about sending the heads to be cnc ported and doubting if the cams big enough.

The Pro street/strip part has me a little confused as far as making any prediction whatsoever.

What kind of compression is going to be run? Pump fuel? If it's going to spend any real time on the street, a cam in that range will probably work, but if the heads get sent out, I'd like to know the final flow bench numbers.

My opinion is, your getting into serious "race" truck range. I can see 800hp easily in race form with the foundation that's there & extra head work. Any extra details you can provide will help & be welcomed.

Regardless, it's going to be fun :).

I don't see it making anywhere near 700hp. He needs the heads ported (well if he's looking for those numbers) and run a cam that will allow for them. If it's indeed a "Pro Street" he should just build an iron block and keep the plan the same, accepting whatever power is made. I'd think it should be good for high 500s pretty easy, maybe 600+. He's giving up power with the aluminum block, the heads, and the cam.

my 505 has rpm heads and a .566/.588lift 251/259@50 cam and i was told by a few builders should make 575-600,i guess i figured 540 with better heads and bigger cam would do better then that.

The whole deal started out as a pro street dakota with a blown 505,the kid put a combo together that i thought would push a stock block and he wanted something more on the race side of things.he soon decided to get a block and be safe and have room to grow if it started seeing more track.he couldnt find a iron block anywhere.olio crank had a couple aluminum world blocks and provided the rotating assembly.that ate up the blower budget and its was decided to build a 4.5 stroke 540 with what i listed above.erson specd the cam out and was told it was a pro street deal with a little track time,motor is 8.5 dynamic comp.theres a fogger system going on as well.they only really have one goal for it to run in the 9,s on spray but our track is 3600ft and around 5000 corrected on a good day.
I havent ran my truck yet bit did some 500ft drags at a show this summer,my truck weights 2650 and by judging what i raced should run high 10,s

Cylinder heads, cylinder heads, cylinder heads! The OOTB RPM head will out flow the OOTB Victor and Max Wedge Victor up to about .500" lift. The Victor and Max Wedge Victor will flow exactly the same as they are the same head. The only difference being the Max Wedge has a CNC intake port opening for about 1" into the port and the flow isn't at the port opening. I think the 540 will be a solid engine but will be limited in power because of the way you have described the heads.

"the motors a pump gas world aluminum block 4.5 stroke 540ci,victor max wedge heads with basic clean up and port matching,victor mw intake,dom carb,solid roller cam .650ish lift .268 ish [email protected](i cant recall exactly)t&d rockers.were going to have to build custom headers and he was thinking 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 primary's with a 4" collector(thoughts on that)."

If you really have this build with these $$$$$ parts I can't understand why you wouldn't have it broke in on a dyno (with dyno headers so you don't ruin yours) and have it tuned.

Then you'll know what it makes.

Cylinder heads, cylinder heads, cylinder heads! The OOTB RPM head will out flow the OOTB Victor and Max Wedge Victor up to about .500" lift. The Victor and Max Wedge Victor will flow exactly the same as they are the same head. The only difference being the Max Wedge has a CNC intake port opening for about 1" into the port and the flow isn't at the port opening. I think the 540 will be a solid engine but will be limited in power because of the way you have described the heads.

he picked the victors for down the road potential,and is doing some of his own mild port work,valve job ect.we talked about having them cnc ported but he thinks he doesnt have enough cam or comp at this point to make use of the extra flow.i tend to look at the increased low lift numbers.imo this thing will get pounded around the street for a year or two,do some shows and see the track a few times and the motor will come apart for some serious head work,cam and more comp.its a tough deal dad wants a real nasty street truck kid wants "street outlaws truck" and they both talk about taking it to the track more and more.im half tempted to move the firewall back and set the motor back now.either way it outta scare hell out of the old man and with enough spray should run close to there goal. maybe hell find enough in the heads to help it out.thanks for the info i took it for granted the heads flowed better then that ootb.

Why is it I always seem to over estimate my junk... I'm hoping for 750 from my 505 build that's under way but if this 540 won't make 700 then I might be in trouble.... man, spring is so far away....

Why is it I always seem to over estimate my junk... I'm hoping for 750 from my 505 build that's under way but if this 540 won't make 700 then I might be in trouble.... man, spring is so far away....

And then you buy your own dyno like we did and find out that reality really does bite!

we talked about having them cnc ported but he thinks he doesnt have enough cam or comp at this point to make use of the extra flow.

Even on a ultra low compression 440 build with a moderate cam, IQ52 has shown that heads have a dramatic affect on power.

Please explain why an alum block is going to cost power Moper?

Aluminum blocks tend to move around more. Especially in regard to the bore sleeves with wet blocks. The higher the horsepower the more likely some will be left on the table as a result. Unless the guy that machined it and built it has more than a couple aluminum block builds in his background I have my doubts as to whether or not it will reach it's full potential.

moper is correct, we've had two aluminum Hemi's in here that others have started and then we got them after they failed in service or when the builder just didn't finish them. Both of them had cylinder wall preparation so poor that in one of them the pistons stuck in the cylinders when the heads were bolted on. We've had to replace the sleeves, or buy .005" over custom pistons after the bores were correctly honed. Then there's oil return problems with some heads and blocks and clearance issues with the aluminum expansion, push rods that don't clear the block valley, oil control issues and on and on and on.

Funny IQ - the last one I witnessed was a World hemi block with Indy heads and an under-driven roots blower. If during the break in it had not lost oil pressure from the rods not being properly torqued, it might have hydrauliced as both head gaskets were leaking everywhere. Upon autopsy it was found the bore finish was wrong, the deck was all over the place, and sleeves were not installed properly by World. It never got to make any full power pulls.

I'll add since we're talking a pro street vehicle here - I'd guess this is as much a bling thing as a power thing. I don't know too many racers that would opt to use an aluminum block unless the weight break really paid off or they run a regular risk of needing repeated block repair.

Lees than a top fueler and more than a rubber band powered airplane.

its been a long wait but we got this truck done and hit the dyno.540 alum world block 4.5 stroke 11-1 pump gas.modern mach full cnc,d victor mw and super victor intake with aed 1050 carb,cams a erson custom grind 675 lift 265@50 street solid roller.1.5 t@d rockers.2 1/4 primary 4" collector custom headers dual 4" exhaust with bullet mufflers.msd grid ignition.727 and a ultimate 9 1/2" convertor. 9"ford and 31x18.5x15 Hoosier quick times.made 588 rwhp and 690 torq.made 752 rwhp and 722tq with a 200 shot but the convertor flashed past the peak tq numbers.

-
Back