The 'Quickest' A-Body Small Blocks

-
Oct. 1971 Speed and Supercar- 1971 Duster 340 with 3:91, auto- 13.90

Don't dought it , but I wonder how many guys went out and bought the same car and said " how come mine doesn't run close to 13.90"

The 'Quickest' A-Body Small Block from the Factory.

1968 Barracuda 'Notchback' ~ 340 Formula-S ~ 4-Speed ~ 3.91 Gears ~ E70 x 14" Tires

Performance......... 13.89 @ 101.17 MPH

Where does that number come from?

There are some quick 71 Demons and Dusters that run NHRA stock classes. 10:60's with no problem! They seem to be the fastest of the A bodies

I don't know of any notch back 68 or 69 'Cudas being campaigned. There are several fastbacks though, 340 and 383 powered, and a few 69 440's.

Pa karp

I don't think NHRA stock class 110% absolutely PURE STOCK as delivered from the factory with factory tires?

That "stock" is not STOCK.

Understand! Just referring to what can be done with these cars when they are set up to race. The reference to the 71's as the fastest "pure" stock carries over to the full race "stock" race cars.

I lived and raced in the era of the "pure" stockers. I am fortunate to own mine again and am prepping it to run the quarter once more.

When I ran it in 69, the only thing I did was check the air in the tires. That was about as factory "stock" as you could get!

Curt Rees:burnout:

And I will ask "where did the 13:89 come from" also. Maybe if Jake King tuned it up. And that is a possibility.

I remember the ads. Sox and Martin did several on the A bodies and the times were a half second quicker then reality.

Pa Karp,

Back in November 1967,

Jimmy Boyd {Greenville, North Carolina} who was a 'minor factory backed' Mopar Driver tested
a 'new' 1968 Barracuda Notchback, 340 4-Speed, that was equipped with 3.91 Gears.

Jimmy was also a Charter Member of the famous and just 'newly started' Motion Performance
Supercar Club, based out of Baldwin, Long Island, New York.

I'm sure the Barracuda was Dyno'd and 'dialed in', but otherwise it was 'All Stock'.

The new Barracuda was test run at Spartanburg Raceway, where it also won in Pure Stock Class.

Jimmy had several test runs in Time Trials, and put down a best of 13.89 @ 101.17 MPH
in winning a Class Trophy in B/PS {9.50 to 10.59 Wt/Hp}

Pa Karp,

Back in November 1967,

Jimmy Boyd, who was a 'minor factory backed' Mopar Driver tested a 'new' 1968 Barracuda Notchback,
340 4-Speed, that was equipped with 3.91 Gears.

Jimmy was also a Charter Member of the famous and just 'newly started' Motion Performance

I'm sure the Barracuda was Dyno'd and 'dialed in', but otherwise it was 'All Stock'.

The new Barracuda was test run at Cecil County Dragway, where it also won in Pure Stock Class.

Jimmy had several test runs in Time Trials, and put down a best of 13.89 @ 101.17 MPH

So you admit it was not as it rolled off the showroom floor. Got it! LOL

So you admit it was not as it rolled off the showroom floor. Got it! LOL

OK Mr. Helper,

Just how many cars are tested, right off the Showroom Floor without any minor
adjustments and a short break-in period.

You seem to be quite the 'argumentative type'.

Pointing out the HUGE fallacy with your premise.

From the factory, as a regular joe could buy them. None of the A cars ran better than 14.20's in purely stock form. No distributor recurving, jetting/rod changes, lowering, drilled shocks/shock packages, lightening or any of the other tricks that were done by the cars as tested.

As pointed out earlier, when was the test run, middle of the dog days of summer or on a cool crisp fall evening/day? Nobody really gave much thought to DA in 1968-1971. Test at OCIR then at Las vegas and see how that fast car runs .4 off.

Post bomb away... more written east coast diarrhea to follow. Bandwidth killer!!! :D

Why I took you off ignore is beyond me. Make sure you continue to parrot that the only place to get best performance is from a dyno... circa 1975... :)

Best thing I've seen in your post in a LONG time

This message is hidden because 69 Cuda 440 is on your ignore list.

Pointing out the HUGE fallacy with your premise.

From the factory, as a regular joe could buy them. None of the A cars ran better than 14.20's in purely stock form. No distributor recurving, jetting/rod changes, lowering, drilled shocks/shock packages, lightening or any of the other tricks that were done by the cars as tested.

As pointed out earlier, when was the test run, middle of the dog days of summer or on a cool crisp fall evening/day? Nobody really gave much thought to DA in 1968-1971. Test at OCIR then at Las vegas and see how that fast car runs .4 off.

Post bomb away... more written east coast diarrhea to follow. Bandwidth killer!!! :D

Wrong Again..........Back-Cracked

Ronnie Sox put down a best of 13.98 @ 100.33 MPG at Orange County International Raceway
in March 1970 with a 1970 'Duster 340' ~ 4-Speed ~ 3.91 Gears.

All Stock, and 'certified' by NHRA Regional Advisor - Bill Morton.

Shipping Weight.... #3124 lbs.
Curb Weight.......... #3265 lbs.

And the Hits just keep coming...

Pa Karp,

Back in November 1967,

Jimmy Boyd {Greenville, North Carolina} who was a 'minor factory backed' Mopar Driver tested
a 'new' 1968 Barracuda Notchback, 340 4-Speed, that was equipped with 3.91 Gears.

The new Barracuda was test run at Spartanburg Raceway, where it also won in Pure Stock Class.

Did they run B/PS in 1971?

Did a 71 Duster/Demon with 3.91's ever run in that class?

Did they run B/PS in 1971?

Did a 71 Duster/Demon with 3.91's ever run in that class?

Auto - X - Cuda,

The Pure/Stock Class was only run for several years in the late 1960's.

At the end of 1969, the Pure/Stock Class was dropped from just about every track.

Where the 340 A-Body would have been slotted in Pure/Stock

1967 Pure Stock
B/PS ....... 9.50 to 10.59 Wt/Hp

1968 Pure Stock
E/PS ...... 10.00 to 10.49 Wt/Hp

1969 Pure Stock
F/PS ...... 10.00 to 10.49 Wt/Hp

In 1970 & 1971, the Duster 340 and Demon 340 were classed in 'Stock Class'
G/Stock {10.00 to 10.49 Wt/Hp}

I started in F/PS and moved to E. Engine factored by NHRA
My best was a 14:50 flat. BONE stock. I will go along with the 13:89 and 13:90 after seeing who worked on the cars and knowing the Pure Stock rules. This just proves the potential of the cars. The E/PS record at TV was a 14:35 back then. I was just a dumb kid, but could have got there with a little help.

The Sox and martin ad sold cars, no doubt. I attended one of their seminars in Brookings, SD. Huge crowd!

Curt Rees

I started in F/PS and moved to E. Engine factored by NHRA
My best was a 14:50 flat. BONE stock. I will go along with the 13:89 and 13:90 after seeing who worked on the cars and knowing the Pure Stock rules. This just proves the potential of the cars. The E/PS record at TV was a 14:35 back then. I was just a dumb kid, but could have got there with a little help.

The Sox and martin ad sold cars, no doubt. I attended one of their seminars in Brookings, SD. Huge crowd!

Curt Rees

Curt,

Regarding Jimmy Boyd and his 13.89 @ 101.17 in November 1967.

Jimmy was no slouch driver from Greenville, North Carolina. He was also the
top Chrysler Tech for Motion Performance out of Long Island, New York.

Jimmy took another 1968 Barracuda 340-S down to Deland, Florida in
February 1968, and won the NASCAR Winternationals at Spruce Creek Dragstrip.

Jimmy clocked a best of 13.01 @ 109.40 while winning Stock Eliminator.

It was the last NASCAR Drag Racing Division major event ever run.

I have had a myriad of issues getting my 'Cuda ready for the track. It has been a complete, and I mean complete rebuild.

i am replacing the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate this next week, vibration issues. Then the chunk will be replaced for the 2nd time, bad leak that we can't stop.

Once those issues are taken care, down the 1/4 she goes. If I can run close to the 14:50's from 45 years ago, I be happy!

I am not going to "power shift" like I did in the car and my prime. That will slow me some.

On my bucket list is the 50th anniversary of Thunder Valley, Marion SD. I was there for the 1st race in 1967, I hope to be there with the 'Cuda for the 50th in 2017.

That Duster that ran a 13.90 was no doubt tuned by someone who knew what he was doing. I am not one of those guys but they are around. Alot of guys running at the Pure Stock Drags are pretty sharp on stock cars. I took a car there once and found out quick those guys where out of my league. Most of the Mopar guys had forgotten more than I knew.

The 'Top 7' recorded times for each specific A-Body from Back-in-the-Day.

All 'Stock' A-Body cars with; ........... 3.91 Gears and E70 x 14" Tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 .... 1968 Barracuda 340-S Notchback ~ 4-Speed............. 13.89 @ 101.17 MPH
.......... Driver > Jimmy Boyd
.......... Track > Spartanburg Raceway {South Carolina}
.......... Date > November 1967

#2 ..... 1968 Barracuda 340-S 'Fastback' ~ 4-Speed ............ 13.93 @ 101.39 MPH
.......... Driver > Jerry Gross
.......... Track > Irwindale Raceway {California}
.......... Date > January 1968

#3 ..... 1968 Dart GTS 340 ~ 4-Speed .................................. 13.94 @ 101.10 MPH
.......... Driver > Charlie Allen
.......... Track > Lions Dragstrip {California}
.......... Date > February 1968

#4 ..... 1971 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ...................................... 13.94 @ 101.25 MPH
........... Driver > Slim Howard
........... Track > National Trail Raceway {Ohio}
........... Date > April 1971

#5 .... 1969 Barracuda 340-S 'Notchback' ~ 4-Speed ........... 13.97 @ 100.40 MPH
.......... Driver > Joe Smith
.......... Track > Dallas International Motor Speedway {Texas}
.......... Date > June 1969

#6 .... 1970 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ....................................... 13.98 @ 100.33 MPH
.......... Driver > Ronnie Sox
......... Track > Orange County International Raceway {California}
......... Date > March 1970

#7 .... 1971 Demon 340 ~ 4-Speed ...................................... 14.04 @ 100.01 MPH
......... Driver > Warren Fox
......... Track > Carlsbad Raceway {California}
......... Date > February 1971

The 'Top 7' recorded times from Back-in-the-Day.

Stock A-Body cars with > 3.91 Gears and E70 x 14" Tires

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 ..... 1968 Barracuda 340-S Notchback ~ 4-Speed............. 13.89 @ 101.17 MPH
.......... Driver > Jimmy Boyd
......... Track > Spartanburg Raceway {South Carolina}
......... Date > November 1967

#2 ..... 1968 Barracuda 340-S 'Fastback' ~ 4-Speed ............ 13.93 @ 101.39 MPH

#3 ..... 1968 Dart GTS 340 ~ 4-Speed .................................. 13.94 @ 101.10 MPH

#4 ..... 1971 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ...................................... 13.94 @ 101.25 MPH

#5 .... 1969 Barracuda 340-S 'Notchback' ~ 4-Speed ........... 13.97 @ 100.40 MPH

#6 .... 1970 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ....................................... 13.98 @ 100.33 MPH
.......... Driver > Ronnie Sox
......... Track > Orange County International Raceway {California}
......... Date > March 1970

#7 .... 1971 Demon 340 ~ 4-Speed ...................................... 14.04 @ 100.01 MPH
And you claim on other threads that no 340 duster car ever hit 13's stock box from the factory....... And proceeded to claim that those that claimed low 14's were exaggerating? Now this???? One day I'm crazy for saying what you have posted, now you are saying it?? Ok, I get it now....

Given that people would race only # matching setups... which they dont and that there would be all those cars at the same track etc... great for the bench races.... so a 68 340 in a 65 valiant... would be fastest on paper.... until the lightweight class of race only mopar showed up on paper.....

And you claim on other threads that no 340 duster car ever hit 13's stock box from the factory....... And proceeded to claim that those that claimed low 14's were exaggerating? Now this???? One day I'm crazy for saying what you have posted, now you are saying it?? Ok, I get it now....

You're being a little thick here.

These A-Body cars were driven by Professional Drag Racers. And though they
were '100% Stock, they were equipped with 3.91 Gears and properly tuned.

And I never said a 'stock' 340 wasn't capable of running a surprisingly low
Elapsed Time.

Geez........Kids these days.

Hey look at my post of the 50 fastest no 340, this was buy the trusted magazines back then car and driver , hot rod, road and track and a few others. That list has been around for a while and generally accepted as fairly correct, your 68 cuda 340 runs as fast as the 440 68 cuda LOL.

Hey look at my post of the 50 fastest no 340, this was buy the trusted magazines back then car and driver , hot rod, road and track and a few others. That list has been around for a while and generally accepted as fairly correct, your 68 cuda 340 runs as fast as the 440 68 cuda LOL.

Obvious Facts,

The 340 4-Speed {Barracuda , Duster, Dart and Demon} will hook up much better
than a nose-heavy 1969 440 'Cuda.

Also, take into consideration, both cars are running E70 x 14" Tires.

Remember, these are the 'best' times ever recorded for the 'stock' 340 A-Body, not the
general average.

-
Back