The Sonoramic Commando Intake?

-
This showed up at the cruise in last year, 440 with a cross ram.

Attachments

• IMG_8093 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_8096 (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 615
Here is mine....it needs to find a new home, been sitting on the floor for too long :banghead:

Attachments

• DSC00190.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 429
I have a set that I hope to convert to direct/port injection and run two throttle bodies.
I haven't seen it done before, but I always thought (right or wrong)that it would be way cool.

Port injection/EFI would be the way to go with these if you want take away a lot of tuning issues because of the 'wet'-intake runners.
Injecting the fuel right before the intake port leaves a nice dry traject for the air to arrive and still do its ram-effect.

I'm thinking of converting to propane fuel for the same reason. A dry fuel has much less mixture-issues, especially when cold.

The current issue I'm facing with my setup at the moment is heatsoak because of the underlaying headers in the car.
After driving for a while, underhood temps get so hot that the engine starts to detonate.

Here's an older pic I received way some years ago of an EFI-setup on a set of 'short' longram intakes... ;)

And what car are these in to fit under the hood?

NICE heads too! The whole set up looks impressive, can't imagine what it generates in power.....

This one, sorry, best pic I could find... :angel4:

20120722-60NY-CBcalendarshoot-IMG_2178web_zpsa25078c8.jpg

Port injection/EFI would be the way to go with these if you want take away a lot of tuning issues because of the 'wet'-intake runners.
Injecting the fuel right before the intake port leaves a nice dry traject for the air to arrive and still do its ram-effect.

I'm thinking of converting to propane fuel for the same reason. A dry fuel has much less mixture-issues, especially when cold.

The current issue I'm facing with my setup at the moment is heatsoak because of the underlaying headers in the car.
After driving for a while, underhood temps get so hot that the engine starts to detonate.

Here's an older pic I received way some years ago of an EFI-setup on a set of 'short' longram intakes... ;)

[URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/BigBlockMopar/440-LongCrossRamSetup/FuelInjection-XRam.jpg"][/URL]

Coating the headers/maniflds AND intake would help immensely. Also consider wrapping the exhaust in addition to coating. What you may want to consider too is opening up the airflow into the engine bay. Careful re-routing of plumbing, insulating fuellines, different airfilters, even moving or eliminating certain seals around the engine bay may be just enough to solve your problem. Since this is obviously a non-stock build, have you considered cowl induction, louvering or ram-air ala the old Olds 442? From the photo those middle header pipes aren't doing you any favors...

i think i remember well enough the past. 1. the last year the duel long tube ram was used was 1964. on the 300 K. the 300 K had an option for a single carb. 2. i think that was the only body that year with the long ram. 3. it was NOT on the 1965 300 L cause the inner fender would not clear. i know i tried. 4. i am very sure the 440 never had the long ram. why when you have the 3-2s. 5. DO NOTE: the long tube ram was NOT a high RPM manifold. it was made to improve the mid RPM range 3200 RPM. for passing on the high way. 6. the short ram manifold WAS for high RPM. MAX-WEDGE, race 426. i remember when they were new. in 1962 Ray Brock raced a 300 long ram in NHRA all year. and did very good or took the over all win.

Thanks everyone!

i think i remember well enough the past. 1. the last year the duel long tube ram was used was 1964. on the 300 K. the 300 K had an option for a single carb. 2. i think that was the only body that year with the long ram. 3. it was NOT on the 1965 300 L cause the inner fender would not clear. i know i tried. 4. i am very sure the 440 never had the long ram. why when you have the 3-2s. 5. DO NOTE: the long tube ram was NOT a high RPM manifold. it was made to improve the mid RPM range 3200 RPM. for passing on the high way. 6. the short ram manifold WAS for high RPM. MAX-WEDGE, race 426. i remember when they were new. in 1962 Ray Brock raced a 300 long ram in NHRA all year. and did very good or took the over all win.

So, the 440 never had a long ram intake? And only made it as far as the 426 Wedge engine, I'm surprised, the 440 was a good deal with the 2x3 BUT wouldn't have it basically done for the 440 as it did on the 426? BUT better? Really the only difference was the bore.....440 being bigger....

I simply do not understand it with the 440 and how Ma Mopar wanted it.....Then then the poor left out Mopar 383, it only ever got a single 4 barrel Carter.....For a small bore Big Block that engine had lost a lot of things due lack of building it factory, I know aftermarket stuff existed but. still it was left to go from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel and nothing more....My self, I'm fond of the set up used on the street Hemi the 2x4 intake, why couldn't they had made a 383 with something like that?

Makes a guy wonder on different ideas, thats forsure!

Thanks everyone!

So, the 440 never had a long ram intake? And only made it as far as the 426 Wedge engine, I'm surprised, the 440 was a good deal with the 2x3 BUT wouldn't have it basically done for the 440 as it did on the 426? BUT better? Really the only difference was the bore.....440 being bigger....

The long rams were discontinued before the 440 began production.

Didn't they make a factory 2x4 intake for the big blocks in the 60's? I know the poly had one.

Thanks everyone!

I simply do not understand it with the 440 and how Ma Mopar wanted it.....Then then the poor left out Mopar 383, it only ever got a single 4 barrel Carter.....For a small bore Big Block that engine had lost a lot of things due lack of building it factory, I know aftermarket stuff existed but. still it was left to go from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel and nothing more....My self, I'm fond of the set up used on the street Hemi the 2x4 intake, why couldn't they had made a 383 with something like that?

Longrams and inline dual fours were available on the 383. They were not left out.
It is just evolution why the 440 didn't get the longrams. They came about to late(66)
Longrams were 60-61 technology.

most people dont know but the chrysler lettered 300s was NOT ment to be a full out race car. even though the 1955 300 was the fastest american car at that time. the 1955 300 cleaned the nascar curcit that year. chrysler called the lettered 300 the gentleman's performance luxury car. most ALL of the lettered 300s was targeted to 15-17 second 1/4 mile. i had a 65 300 L it would do 16.00 1/4 mile. totally stock. with a sharp tune. but VERY streetable. the lettered 300s started in 1955 throu 1965. the thing chrysler sells now is NOT a real 300.

So far as I know, the 426's didn't come with long rams, either. I think these were a 361/ 383 / 413 only deal?

Some "Golden Commando" cars with 361/383 engines were equipped with Sonoramic systems. Some 300 letter cars with 413 engines were equipped with Ramsonic systems. They are designed to work @ 4500 rpm max. And work they did. They were designed to work in heavy cars at low rpm. The max wedge and race Hemi intakes were designed for high rpm (for the day) in light weight b-bodies. I have ridden in Sonoramic equipped vehicles and I can tell you they pull like mad up to 4500 and then they just suck gas like flushing a toilet.

IIRC, the long ram was available in 1960-61. That would mean that they would only fit the RB version of the 383. There is no issue with the 413 because it was always a RB engine.

IIRC, the Eddie short ram manifold for the LA engine is the STR 12. $$$.

Attachments

• STR-12001a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 522
  • STR-12007.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 343
  • STR-12008.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 313
THis guy will be at the Nats in our tent. I've never seen this car is person, I cant wait to see it.

Attachments

• Hemi2013028_zps2d521ea3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 421
THis guy will be at the Nats in our tent. I've never seen this car is person, I cant wait to see it.
That is a drastically shortened and machined long ram intake. Down to about
the size of a regular (high-rpm) cross ram. Looks like it should work.

IIRC, the long ram was available in 1960-61. That would mean that they would only fit the RB version of the 383. There is no issue with the 413 because it was always a RB engine.

No.
The long ram intakes (with either long or short internals, '60-'64) are the only intakes that fit both B and RB engines.

i all ways wanted a long ram for low rpm power on a small block V8 for a street machine. cause all the stock 318 i have had are to low on power at low RPM. my 01 dakota V6 is low on low speed power to. i helped that with a 4.1 rear gear and dana locker. was a 3.55. that works for me cause i only drive in town. i drive hard. my MPG was 8-9 after 4.1 gear i get 11-12 MPG. cause it goes into O.D. at 30 MPH. i didnt expect that.

No.
The long ram intakes (with either long or short internals, '60-'64) are the only intakes that fit both B and RB engines.

LOL. The only FACTORY intakes. Some of the old Algon / Hilborn / Weber stuff fits either, as well

440Wedge.jpg

dodge3.jpg

Thanks everyone!

This is one of the things I think Ma did best. They rarely blurred the lines of what engines were the performance engine during the heyday of muscle cars. The 340 and 426 hemi were the top dogs. The 440-6 pushed the line in the sand. But the hierarchy was pretty much set where other brands it could be confusing.

Longrams and inline dual fours were available on the 383. They were not left out.
It is just evolution why the 440 didn't get the longrams. They came about to late(66)
Longrams were 60-61 technology.

Thast explains it then. I thought the 440 was made earlier in the time line for Chrysler, I didn't realize it was a late bloomer so to speak.....So really, the early "B" engines as well as the early RB engines came with or could be had with the long rams and then what? '62, were discontinued?

Thanks guys, trying to make some sence of things to understand a bit better on why this or why that on how Ma wanted or things happened at the Mopar factory....

As far as "fitting" the intakes, was there that much difference in the bolt patterns to bolt from the B to the RB head?

If so, how did they get the one intake to cross mount to either head? (They didn't have to worry/be concerned on the valley cover), as it was not part of that intake like all the rest....

Interesting stuff guys! Old technology, in todays world is a good thing, specially when your willing to learn.....I know a little and to make that"more" is a plus!

-
Back