The track times are in - I had a blast

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
It was quite a fiasco getting there, but I hit Brainerd International Raceway for the Wednesday night drags. I made ram air and it blew the hood scoop off at high speeds. I repaired the hood scoop, took off the ram air, but the scoop wouldn't stay on and I almost lost it at 120 mph. I had to run with the hood scoop removed and a big ugly hole in my hood with a velocity stack sticking through it. I found some used wheels and mounted on some Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. I spun a lug nut and couldn't get it tight enough and now can't get it off. But ....... I had a blast. I got in five runs and won all my races. My reaction times were so good I tied for best and got into a reaction time contest at the end. The ET Streets hooked so hard they never spun and I launched incredibly hard. My best time was 12.39 @ 109.16 mph and my worst was the last at 12.59 @ 107 mph. I was fairly consistent. My 60 foot times were all 1.6 to 1.8, so I was getting out of the hole well. I think my 4.10 gears hurt me a bit. I did beat a supercharged Rambler, and that was cool. I had a great time and will be doing it again. For the record, I went through the water and did a good burnout in the box. The tires never spun until the last two runs when they were hot and the track prep was worn . Here are some pics and a somewhat crappy video of my second and best run.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKIR-L-27I"]Brainerd International Raceway Wednesday night drags. 12.39 @ 109.16 mph - YouTube[/ame]

View attachment Staging line at BIR.jpg

View attachment blown off hood scoop.jpg

View attachment Time slip.jpg

Congrats. I don't really know what your build is but as long as you had fun that's all that matters. I have ran my dart a few times and its it the 14s but its still a blast. As far as the hood problems go, just leave it off at the track. It's a race not a show. Something is fishy about a mph in they story though :). Don't mean to be a jerk but someone is going to give you a hard time.

Congrats. I don't really know what your build is but as long as you had fun that's all that matters. I have ran my dart a few times and its it the 14s but its still a blast. As far as the hood problems go, just leave it off at the track. It's a race not a show. Something is fishy about a mph in they story though :). Don't mean to be a jerk but someone is going to give you a hard time.

What do you mean fishy? You lost me there.

Congrats, sounds like you had a good time and your car performed well. MPH sounds about right for 12.39 to me.

you stated the hood almost came off at 120 mph...but your trap speed is only 109....

maybe that is what he is talking about..

Congratulations on a good time and good results. Sounds like the hook is set pretty good. Hope you get to run again soon.

"I think my 4.10 gears hurt me a bit"
What are you saying , 4.10 is not enough gear or too much? I remember back when I started racing, the thrill, it never goes away! I bet you were thinking about the next track trip on your way home that day. LOL

I think the 4.10's may be too low a gear. I need to play with shift points. I have a lot of torque and maybe if I shift sooner and use the torque I can get a little faster. The motor dyno'd at 498hp and 528 ft/lb of torque. I expected a little better. I was hoping to be in the 11's.

cool. not bad times at all.

what did you do different between the 1.8 and the 1.6 sixty foot times? thats a big difference.

Agree that those 60's should be more consistant. Didn't look like much of a burnout so the tire temp may be a factor. That .008 light was terrific. Did you deep stage...couldn't see the tree.

cool. not bad times at all.

what did you do different between the 1.8 and the 1.6 sixty foot times? thats a big difference.

Nothing different at all. I just hammered the pedal every time. I suspect the engine got hotter and a little slower and also the last two runs the track prep was lacking and I spun just a bit on launch.

Whoa yea. You got the build posted somewhere?

The MPH really doesn't seem like 500 flywheel HP, maybe you have more in the tune. But that's plenty quick for a street car, good job!

Whoa yea. You got the build posted somewhere?

Here is what I have:
1992 magnum block
scat 4" stroke crank
Scat forged i-beam rods
Diamond flat top pistons (11.8:1 compression)
total seal rings
Engine Pro main, rod, Cam bearings
Fluid damper
cloyes double roller timing set
Cometic head gaskets
Edelbrock performer rpm heads (gasket matched w/ light porting)
Smith bros pushrods
Comp 1.5 ratio shaft mount billet roller rockers
comp hydraulic roller lifters
Comp Cam
242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Comp valve springs, retainers, keepers, locators
ARP head studs
ARP bolts used throughout
melling hv oil pump
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
MSD Pro Billet distributor
bronze dist gear
Taylor wires and looms
New ngk plugs
Holley 750dp mech secondary manual choke
Mopar MSD 6 Ignition box
Blaster2 Coil

A friend of a friend mentioned that it didn't sound like the throttle was opening all the way. He is a good Mopar tech, but I had no idea how he could tell from just hearing it. I went out today and checked, and it does not open all the way. I have probably 3/8" more to go when the pedal is on the floor. You can bet your *** I will be adjusting that today.

Ya that should help!! Your mph is right for 12:30, my demon ran 12:20
At 109. Hopefully you gain a bunch with the full throttle, also I don't think the stack was helping your ET.

Yea not having full throttle would slow it down.

For comparison my dart want a best of 12.17 @ 108.9. Real good weather. it was a consistent 12.20 at like 108. Math said 350ish at the wheels

Ill bet you have a lot left in the tune and suspension set up.

That's a great first outing in my opinion. So glad you got some tires mounted. Those are some good baseline passes and track experience to boot. Lots of improvement to come, especially with full throttle...:D. Hopefully you can get out again before winter. Congratulations! :thumleft:

Congrats man. Gotta love taking the car to the track! Nice times even with the inadvertant "throttle stop"..LOL That 3/8" will make a difference.

Be well,
Pat

I agree with Joe, some fine tuning and suspension attention will shave a bunch off the time slip. A little at a time, 1 change at a time. Congrats and good luck, happy hunting.

-
Back