The worst day ive had in recent history..

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
So I cruised on into work today..raining but very warm for December (59 degrees) Was in a pretty good mood for a Monday .I walk into work and bang, laid off..me and 10 other guys for the foreseeable future ...two weeks before Christmas ...I'm crushed... the wife and I were looking forward to taking this place we looked at with a few more bedrooms for our growing family. Now we are wondering how we are going to pay the bills. Ill never understand how a company can let you go so close to a holiday ..its disrespectful especially to someone who has 11 years in the company.

Im going to look into possibly selling the Demon if I cant make ends meet, im sure you know family comes first and ive got an 8 month old to look out for. It amazes me how in the last year with things as bad as they are the execs have been spending money like it was water for important things like new leather office chairs and oak desks for their overinflated egos.

Also i might add we helped put up the company Christmas tree outside our theater(30 foot tall) it was asked of us due to the poor economy that we donate our time to do it for free ..we had to run power wrap it in lights and then decorate it.. the night it was lit the general manager spoke about the importance of community and family and how we were all in this together this was THIS PAST THURSDAY....son of a *****.... Now he keeps his job and beside our departments 10 good men 180 others have no job after the end of this week ...200 total company layoffs. Merry Christmas huh?

Want to see some irony on top of it all ...I finally after so long made the organization list and will be receiving my union card this coming year ....The acceptance letter came this very day in the mail..in order for me to be eligible for this coming years cards I need to complete several classes totaling 650 dollars..perfect timing ....life really sucks sometimes :angry7:

i an sorry to hear about this keep your chin up if you can

Sorry to hear - stories like yours are being told every day, I'm on shaky ground myself and am trying to prepare in case of (been looking elsewhwere but nuthin' out there right now). Heard on the news today it'll get worse before it gets better -encouraging news. A week and a half before Christmas is just plain wrong if you ask me - but if they had to stop the bleeding .... it's all about the bottom line. We'll say a prayer tonight for Dan and family.

Dan...

Wow dude, that really sucks. I am so sorry to hear about that. I am with you, I truly dont understand how big wigs, can look you in the eye, tell you a bunch of warm fuzzy bullshit about community and family, and all that... all the while knowing they're about to put the screws to you.. and hard. Where I work, they do the same things, ***** about the economy, no money in the budget for raises, but oh look.. they have new vehicles, suddenly the whole building gets new carpet and wallpaper (which it didnt need), and as you said, new office furniture... Burns my *** to see the high priced furniture show up, and be marched right past all the hardworking employees who will never even get to use it... it just sucks

I hope you and your family still manage to enjoy the holidays, and I feel confident that you will get things back on track soon.. I hope you dont have to part with the Demon, but I understand what you said.. family always comes first.. Keep your head up, and keep us posted...

Damn! I got fired once on Jan. 2nd. I had no family though. It sucked but I only had to worry about myself. I can't imagine the pressure you must be under. That's BS what the boss did too. Scrooge comes to mind only worse.

I hope that this all turns out for the better for you. I've been lucky in life where everytime I got laid off or canned, I've always managed to find a better job and turn it to my advantage. I truly hope the same for you and may God bless you and your family with a Merry Christmas and a job come this January. Don't let these people beat you down and make you lose faith. And don't ever, ever give up.

In 2005, I was laid off 3 weeks before Christmas too. My wife is a stay at home mom, and we have 2 little kids. I found the best job I ever had 2 months later. You will too. I had to switch fields, you might as well.
I know exactly how you feel, but keep your chin up, enjoy the time off, and you'll be right back in the groove before you know it.

Best of Luck.

George

They laid off 8 people 2 weeks ago at my work. Then this morning they laid off 9 more, so that makes 17 people in 3 weeks in a workforce that only totaled 98 to begin with. I feel that i'm pretty safe and have been told by upper management that i'm safe, but they also said after they laid off the first 8, no more layoffs untill after the 1st of the year. The Economy is really shitty. I feel for everyone out there. Some of the people laid off are really good friends of mine, and now I feel like the asshole, because they think I chose the people that got laid off, and i chose nobody. Upper management made all the choices.

I,ve been with Ford 22 years last 5-6 years have been pins and needles.2 1/2 years 2 on 2 off.Now as of today I,m off til jan.19 then back for 2 then off for 3.We get unemployment pay = 35% plus sub pay from union,brings us up to 65%.I,ve been in this situation before and it,s a struggle.Hopefully the economy picks up in the new year and you find new work.Everywhere you hear companys closing or moving.With kids(i have a 2 year old)gets pricey this time of year.Sorry to hear bad news,but it,s everywhere ya turn.Good Luck and hope things pick up.

Sorry To Hear That, What A Bummer, I Wish You And Your Family The Best Of Luck!

That truly sucks, there's never a good time for that but for it to be done at Christmas is pretty heartless. Good luck, I hope you can find something soon.

I hope you can cover the bills with unemployment until you find another line of work.

I think many of us are in the same sinking ship.

I too work for Ford and have worked average 3~4 days a week all year. Laid off 12/5/08 and to return to work 1/6/09. Don't know how the schedule will be next year, but not looking good for any of us.

A friend drives a semi and they are laying off and close to him (he is shop committeeman).

I hope Obama has a plan and it works, How Low Can It Go?

Thanks for all the kind words folks. I am an electrician for local 1 I.A.T.S.E stagehands in New York city...I kind of figured the entertainment industry would always flourish especially in times where people need entertainment to make them forget how hard they are being screwed by the class above them. I guess i was wrong. Im hoping for the best out here but word is they are closing no less then 11 Broadway shows this year ..that's allot of unemployed people. Things are just terrible. for those that also lost their jobs, your family is in our thoughts as well. :sad5:

I hope and pray you will be back on track soon, Like someone else said here
Set back and enjoy some time with your family and something will come up for you before you know it, God bless and have a Merry Christmas Dan.
Spend some time getting a resume together.
My brother has been shaking in his boots for the last two years
with his co he has been with 15 years I think, then they sold to another and know he don't know if he should be worried or not.
Corporate hides so much bull I bet the funds for new up grade cost 1/3 of what the installers got and corporate put that in there bonus pile too.
Don't get me started. Sorry to hear the bad news Dan.

i say go get your christmas tree back and put it in your bosses front yard. hopefully karma will come around and do its job.

Take a ride in the Demon, Dan! Try not to worry too much, you'll land on your feet!

Sorry to hear that Dan. I don't think you will be by yourself... it won't be to long I'll be joining you if my job keeps looking the way it does.

I dont know what to say. Remember the cream always rises to the top. Right now the only way you can go is up.

Dan Im real sorry to about you getting laid off, especially this time of year. I hope that you bounce back quick and find something that ends up being ever better! Best of luck!

Hey, I work for General Motors. Think I'm worried? Damn right i am. I remember when in the past losing jobs in similar economies peoiple would say "Now's the time to find a better job". I never did believe it, but both times I did find better jobs. Unfortunately unlike our parents, very few of us will ever work a lifetime at only 1 job. Be thankful you got 10 good years. Time to shake the trees.

So I cruised on into work today..raining but very warm for December (59 degrees) Was in a pretty good mood for a Monday .I walk into work and bang, laid off..me and 10 other guys for the foreseeable future ...two weeks before Christmas ...I'm crushed... the wife and I were looking forward to taking this place we looked at with a few more bedrooms for our growing family. Now we are wondering how we are going to pay the bills. Ill never understand how a company can let you go so close to a holiday ..its disrespectful especially to someone who has 11 years in the company.

Im going to look into possibly selling the Demon if I cant make ends meet, im sure you know family comes first and ive got an 8 month old to look out for. It amazes me how in the last year with things as bad as they are the execs have been spending money like it was water for important things like new leather office chairs and oak desks for their overinflated egos.

Also i might add we helped put up the company Christmas tree outside our theater(30 foot tall) it was asked of us due to the poor economy that we donate our time to do it for free ..we had to run power wrap it in lights and then decorate it.. the night it was lit the general manager spoke about the importance of community and family and how we were all in this together this was THIS PAST THURSDAY....son of a *****.... Now he keeps his job and beside our departments 10 good men 180 others have no job after the end of this week ...200 total company layoffs. Merry Christmas huh?

Want to see some irony on top of it all ...I finally after so long made the organization list and will be receiving my union card this coming year ....The acceptance letter came this very day in the mail..in order for me to be eligible for this coming years cards I need to complete several classes totaling 650 dollars..perfect timing ....life really sucks sometimes :angry7:

Chin up. Grab some chain and drag that sumb*tch tree down the street.

Those companies don't give a **** about the little guy, it's all about how much money THEY make. REMEMBER,,, EVERYTHING,,,,,EVERYTHING is about money. This is such a screwed up country any more that I'm ashamed to be a part of it sometimes. "proud to be american" my azzz,,,,,,,,the new american motto should be "can't buy anything but chinese" As for the tree,,,it probably dry enough,, burn it back down! Hope you find work instead of having to sell your car,, I know how THAT feels.

Dan:

Terribly sorry to hear of your misfortune - especially given the timing of it. Like others have stated - chin up, postive attitude, and good luck finding an even better opportunity. Hopefully this will all be behind you in short order.

regards,
Ray

Heey it will get better . I worked for 11 years for the railroad laid off twice then they disabled me for what happened to me in my last deployment I didnt think I could make it but the good Lord above take care of everything .

Keep your chin up

That really sucks, man. I hope things work out for you and your family.

Many businesses operate in the black by only a slim thread in that they do not have piles of cash available to "tide things over" until things level out. In fact, many businesses, those with big accounts receivable dollars yet to be paid, operate day-to-day with open lines of credit from banks. For example, many companies sell their product and must await payment from the purchaser. Well, electricity, raw materials, salaries, taxes, etc. must all be paid while waiting for the checks to come in. Sometimes the purchaser is in the same situation and they ask to delay payment or don't pay at all. The overhead costs still must be paid. So, the companies actually borrow operating cash from a bank to tide them over until the checks come in from customers. Combine all of the companies in various financial situations and you can see that the situation could have a snowball effect on the entire economy.

-
Back