Thermoquad issue

-
i had one it leaked raw fuel into the intake...
I've had several, and the biggest issue I had was the phenolic base. It would sometimes warp and fuel would weep between the phenolic and the top. With the proper strip kit (available back then), they were pretty easy to tune. Getting one now takes a little patience because they are not spring chickens anymore. The little bowls under the main jets have a bad habit of falling off. Just clean it up, JBWeld it, and good to go. There is nothing like the roar of a TQ when those secondaries opened. Ever watched the movie "Blues Brothers"? You can hear the TQ open several times. Music to my ears!!!

Rick,
100% correct about the roar from the TQ secondaries at WOT. QJ has the same size t/blades but doesn't have the roar. No other carb like it....

Measure the pri throttle bores.

1.375" = 800 cfm
1.5"= 850 cfm.

Either size works fine. 454 Chebbies, 455 Pontiac, Buick, Olds all had 750 QJs.

I still have it I may have to look into it again. I have read that they are great carburetors for street. Is there any source to look up the number and see what CFM etc?
See Bewy's post.

Rick,
100% correct about the roar from the TQ secondaries at WOT. QJ has the same size t/blades but doesn't have the roar. No other carb like it....
No wonder i cant resist giving it a tromp!
It was tuned on quite a bit in its past life, power valve screw was cranked about 5 turns in,secondary flap was near loose and idle mixture screws were around 6 turns. As i have little experience, it was a learning curve for sure.

brass float tip- soldering it is difficult,as it likes to blow out solder as you try to plug the hole.
Heat gun on low, raise temp of float, helps stabilize air pressure. But then float is under vacuum.

I still have it I may have to look into it again. I have read that they are great carburetors for street. Is there any source to look up the number and see what CFM etc?

Measure the pri throttle bores.

1.375" = 800 cfm
1.5"= 850 cfm.

Either size works fine. 454 Chebbies, 455 Pontiac, Buick, Olds all had 750 QJs.

The 800 = small & the 850 = big acceptance rating isn’t exactly accurate. In short, according to our departed member,
small = 737, big = 787, small race unit = 800, big race unit = 915.
From our member who has passed on;

Carter Thermoquads ~ 'More General Information'

Last edited:
The 800 = small & the 850 = big acceptance rating isn’t exactly accurate. In short, according to our departed member,
small = 737, big = 787, small race unit = 800, big race unit = 915.
From our member who has passed on;

Carter Thermoquads ~ 'More General Information'

Holley and Carter used 2 different specs on the flow bench.

For sake of NOT confusing everyone....1.38 is 800 and 1.5 is 850....AS PER CARTER.

Your #'s are IF it was rated on Holley spec's

For ID purposes only.

For sake of NOT confusing everyone....1.38 is 800 and 1.5 is 850....AS PER CARTER.

For ID purposes only.

Since you quoted me, your addressing me, as well as saying nothing otherwise.

Please blow me when you have the chance as I was quoting someone else. Pretty obvious when I stated such as well as the link left behind.

If you would like to argue this with the original posting member, it’ll probably take sometime to find the grave yard he is in and the lot number.

For ID purposes only.

Not sure where you got that. AFAIK, ALL 4V carbs are rated 20.4 inches of water. And 2V **** is some other number and since I can’t think of what I care about less than a 2V carb, I’ll never remember that number.

Or, 1.5 inches of Mercury for a 4V and 3.0 inches of Mercury for 2V ****.

Rick,
Have to disagree on sound, my 67 396 Chevelle QJ had same sound AFTER removing the vacuum hose from the secondaries, plus the air cleaner lid upside down.
Also never had a problem with the plastic floats, (a wives tale on brass floats)

Not sure where you got that. AFAIK, ALL 4V carbs are rated 20.4 inches of water. And 2V **** is some other number and since I can’t think of what I care about less than a 2V carb, I’ll never remember that number.

Or, 1.5 inches of Mercury for a 4V and 3.0 inches of Mercury for 2V ****.
And yet others will say the TQ rating is a set flow and the Holley is a set flow. Sometimes I hear this in conjunction with various draws in vacuum.

I’d love to actually have a few of mine on a flow bench.

-
Back