Things have just changed 360 build

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
OK so I just got a new job and it pay a lot more then my other job so I have a new budget and build.I was thinking about a 383 but not ready for a BB.

So lets start

360 block

Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60779/

Harland Sharp Shaft Mount Roller Rockers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CSP-S70025K/

Mopar Performance M1 Intake Manifolds
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4876334/

Stoker kit 408 kinda like this
http://www.coasthigh.com/Chrysler-408-Flat-Top-5-5cc-Scat-Based-Kit-p/13746-sca-342-m408-1.htm

I would like to keep it on pump gas.

I am going to run a 650 carb not sure the make yet.
I also don't know what cam I am going to run I like the Hughes Engines Whiplash cam.But is not that a cam with around 510 to 540 lift.

Also would I want to run a 8 1/4 rear end or a 8 3/4 rear end
Front rear disc brakes.
727 tranny of a 4 speed maybe a 5 speed
It is going to be a Daily Driver.

Congrats on the new gig man. Looks like you got the right idea...perhaps a bit more carb than a 650, but I'm sure folks that have similar set-ups will chime in soon. Look forward to following your build.

Pat

A 650 on a 408? Ok.

Just FYI, if you want it to run on pump gas you will need a piston with a little bit of a dish. Those flat tops will give you too much compression with the Edelbrock heads. Also, even a street only car could use at LEAST a 750 carb on a 408.

Could you get about 435hp (400 at rear wheels) out of a non stroker 360 with the some get up mins the stroker kit.

Could you get about 435hp (400 at rear wheels) out of a non stroker 360 with the some get up mins the stroker kit.

Hot Rod did. MoparMuscle here. PHR has buildups I've read but can't find on the interbutt. Strokers are way fangletastic but the cubic dollars per smile ratio goes out the window for me when you get into $2-3000 reciprocating assemblies and supporting machine work. I'm building a 5.9 magnum for my Dart and tossed the stroker idea around for a while but I think the bucks would be better spent on improved induction (read: EFI or turbos or turbo EFI) and exhaust, in the interest of maximizing my budget's horsepower payoff. There's no replacement for displacement, but cubes can get spendy (not that turbos can't). Fancy heads (or worked magnums) seem to go a long way in beating the cubes curve, budget wise.

My 2 cents...

Ditch the M1 and the Harlands and spend money elsewhere. I'd run a Victor340 before ever putting a M1 on anything. Buy 1.6 rockers if you are going to go that direction. The hughes rockers are nice and don't have the geometry issues you'll see with Harlands on ede's... BTDT!

Can you get 450+ hp out of a 360, sure you can. Takes a decent flowing head a good camshaft and a bit of compression. The ede's work pretty good with some minor clean up. If you go with an iron head, the RHS X head or an EQ can work really well too. Won't have the TQ of a stroker so you need to gear it up a little with some more converter.

No 727's behind SB's for me. Waste of HP. Run a well built 904. Lighter, tough, less HP drag and faster than a 727 without the risk of explosion.

What would be a good piston I could run with the heads listed and a alum intake lets say a Victor340.I would like to get about 9.5.1 or 10.1 comp.

also what rear gear would help with TQ but still be able to run down the highway.

A guy on local CL has a 8 3/4 out of a 70 duster with a 3:91 sure grip

What parts could I run to get more torque without stroking it.

You're already looking in the right places, camshaft, heads, pistons, induction.

Here's what I'm thinking: build from the heads. My 5.9 is stock magnums, I am gonna pick a price point (so, Indy heads are $975 a pair assembled, $1700 a pair gussied up. Eddies run about $1500 assembled - I'm gonna aim for half of that, $500-750ish) and find somebody to port and rebuild my heads (if they magnaflux clean) with 2.02/1.60s (this may not even be necessary) plus seat work to clear a performance cam's lift. I don't think I'll ever outrun what worked stock magnum heads can give in flow (it does require finding somebody who doesn't suck or doing it myself but hey, money or time). Then, I'll probably run a cam with decent idle (like a Comp Xtreme Energy XR268/274), with pistons, I'm aiming for about 9:1 with a good quench area, I think KB has something that will work in the $400 set range, if not I'm still only in another $700-800 for some customs and I have complete control over it. Then top it with an RPM airgap and this Demon 625 I have, and a stock converter. That's probably undercarbed for performance over 5500, but I have my doubts I'll spend much time up there anyways. I'm aiming for about a hundred fewer ponies than you are overall and DesktopDyno (filled in with magnum stock/ported flow data from here, the numbers might be inflated but who knows, it's a spitball computer build starting point) seems to think this combo would work for what I want. But start at the heads, if you don't have good flow, no amount of cam or carb is going to make up for it. After you get your heads figured out, you can figure out how much idle quality you're willing to give up and play around with some cam specs. Since you're starting with an LA bottom end you have much more cam choice than I do.

Also, IMHO 10:1 compression is well into aluminum head country unless you like paying $6 a gallon instead of $5 like mere mortals.

Yeah I am going to do a stroker alum heads MSD ignition.750 carb etc.What is a good 408 kit with about 9.5 or 10;1 comp.

After seeing 408s on youtube there BADA$$

400hp at rear wheels
around 400ft at rear wheels

x2 badsport , I was pricing scat kits (cast crank, hypers) at flatlander racing for about a grand .... should be good for that horsepower range

Why in the, world would you build an aluminum headed motor and only run 9.5 1 compression...makes no sence

I run 10:1 in my iron head daily driver on 93 octane pump gas. 11:1 would be safe on 89-93 octane with aluminum heads no problem. 87 octane would be completely fine with 9.5-10:1. in an aluminum head. 11.5 and up is when you might want to start considering mixing or running the racing stuff.

Daily driving a 408 stroker...:scratch:

Just call it the OPEC special.

-
Back