This 3-speed trans is gonna have to go...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I have just never done much. My motto is "If you're rollin, that's what 2nd gear is for"

We have hills here, LOL. I've been places 2nd would not pull it, and stopping would have been troublesome.

The road to the two Baldy's is "troublesome"

http://thesnowtroopers.com/images/2011/05/Bald Mtn, ID 2011.05.29 False Summit no socks tour-1.jpeg

Baldy radio site. When I was in Jr High, my Gramps (carpenter for USFS) built the first two buildings up here, not in this photo. It was a joint effort with a local power co. to get radios on the hill

http://bonnercounty.us/wp-content/uploads/Technology/IMG_2058.jpg

Is that another one of your photographs? nice.

Oh and use 2nd. Suck it up buttercup.

LMAO

I guess I am just lazy though. I take turns in the truck all the time at under 20 MPH.....and never shift outta high gear. lol But I gotta lot more *** than a slant six too.

I,v driven worn out work trucks where the manuals synchros were worn out so bad you had to double clutch to downshift any gear.

LOL...I can tell there's a lot more V8 guys on this board than on another one where this same discussion came up once before. Over there it was essentially "yeah column-shifted 3-speeds suck and even more when low is clash".

Over here it's been much more "Oh we're men and we can drive anything no matter how much it sucks"except we don't actually own one of those and

"we always used to double-clutch and unstick linkages in the middle of intersections" that was then, nobody willingly does it now and..

"are you too much of a wuss to drive that??? You need a modern easy to drive vehicle instead?" like my Dodge Ram/SUV/Challenger/wife's Honda she lets me drive

Anyway like I said I've just been enjoying seeing if I could get people to defend something that really isn't that great:D

Just a quick update. I'm happy to report that the 3-speed truck transmission and all of it's ancillary components are out, and the 904 is in and all that remains is getting a couple linkage pieces and swapping the column. Everything is a direct swap, including the driveshaft, mounts and speedo adapter.

I found missing and worn out bushings in the linkage when I started taking it apart, plus the trans was evidently repaired at one point and was now leaking. Also a new clutch in '98.

I listed all that stuff in the sale forum. You guys all said how much you loved crashbox 3-speeds..now is your chance to own one. Do not let this opportunity slip away.

Actually this linkage and clutch is spoken for already. I'll give that trans to somebody if they come pick it up, same with the bellhousing that a 4 speed won't fit. Otherwise it'll either go in the corner for years or in the scrap metal pile.

Just a quick update..

Ya know what you are quickly "have become" acting like a whiney little jackass

First, I'm not gonna pay shipping for your wore out junk just to prove a point.

And I'm not going back in time to 1966 and buy a stock 57 Chev (my first car) just to prove a point.

The point is "people did" and some of us "did" actually used to DRIVE these. And it wasn't all that difficult.

You are NOT making any friends here with this diatribe

e2358881-a8ce-48fa-b84d-cd9374ab3494.inline_yes

This is my Farmall 100 which has a 4 speed gearbox NOT syncro into ANY gear. Know what? I can start this thing out in 2nd gear and double clutch it right into high. And it isn't all that difficult.

2lo4ppe.jpg

So step off

Is the pot calling the kettle black, or what.

I regret if, in your confusion, you thought that I was addressing you personally in this thread. Or, alternatively, you felt like this thread was actually about YOU and that everything said within the thread needed approval by or a response from youuuu. Sorry...wrong answer.

In reality, this thread is public, and I mentioned already that it's mainly for my own amusement and not to be taken too seriously. However, it unfortunately appears that in your orbit around ME, you have taken it too seriously. So, please help me help you and relax.

In my usage of internet forums over the years, I've familiarized myself with the rules of conduct that are largely the same from forum to forum. While there are specific rules barring abusive or threatening conduct, or something too graphic, there aren't rules against posting things that someone might "find annoying". In fact, I find a lot of your responses annoying, but I have enough to occupy me without trying to shush people that irritate me.

So, in a nutshell, that means that as long as I'm not abusive or threatening, I can continue to rub it in that nobody wants that POS of a transmission no matter HOW much crap they gave me early in this thread for complaining. I can do that. I could keep on making comments about it until someone finally says "yeah Tyler, you're right. Those things sucked, nobody liked them, and the only reason there are fond memories is that it reminds the 60-somethings of when they were 20-somethings.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you stop being the board monitor. If you consider yourself in charge of preventing annoying comments, or Slantsixdan's replacement as the FABO "correct answer guy", knock yourself out. Don't involve me in it though, because I won't be pushed around or shushed.

This is the nice response to your intrusion. The next one, if there unfortunately is one, will embarrass you, so my advice is to stay on your side of the board and I'll stay on mine. Thanks.

I can shift my non synchro 1949 Ford 8N tractor from 1st through 4th on the fly and never miss a beat. It even is a reverse H pattern. It shifts from right to left.

Can I just say, no matter what the car (or truck) is there is NO need to double clutch anything. And yes, I drive Semis, dump trucks, and euclids for a living; I like to believe I'm pretty apt at driving. Learn to slip shift and you wont even need that clutch pedal except to take off.

I was rowing gears in my camaro today and except for the take off their was no clutch used. (If I could find a cheap 833, my barracuda would be a manual, but that hasnt happened) but yes 3 on the tree is indeed odd, I had an old hippie friend that had a dodge van with one and it was definately a bit different

Can I just say, no matter what the car (or truck) is there is NO need to double clutch anything. And yes, I drive Semis, dump trucks, and euclids for a living; I like to believe I'm pretty apt at driving. Learn to slip shift and you wont even need that clutch pedal except to take off.

Except the fact that it's hard on the drive line. U-Joints take a beating, constant clutch adjustments, etc. I know of at least two trucking companies right now that if the truck "tells" on you (engine tale tells data logged in the computer) or if you "tell on yourself" (clutch adjustments every 50k-100k miles) you're no longer driving for that company.

Is the pot calling the kettle black, or what.

Screw you. I've most likely driven further with non syncro gearboxes in my lifetime than you have likely DRIVEN. I don't need to prove one damn thing to you.

So far as "me" I feel that you are trashing a LOT of people on this board collectively. And, I'm proud to be standing with THEM.

If you cannot come on here and stop being a whiney little ***, then maybe you should be the one to leave.

I can continue to rub it in that nobody wants that POS of a transmission no matter HOW much crap they gave me early in this thread for complaining. I can do that. I could keep on making comments about it until someone finally says "yeah Tyler, you're right. Those things sucked, nobody liked them, and the only reason there are fond memories is that it reminds the 60-somethings of when they were 20-somethings. .

the only reason there are fond memories is that it reminds the 60-somethings of when they were 20-somethings. .

SO NOW I GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE OLD PEOPLE and you have come on here specifically to downgrade, make fun of, and trash people just because we are old. NOW I see!!!!

No "buddy." Sorry. You are just a pathetic, bratty, inexperienced little whiney boy. You haven't been able to do some of the things that us old guys experienced, and since you can't you have to make fun of it.

Listen, little boy. Those gearboxes are what was there back then. It didn't matter (2 or 5 years one way or 'nother) whether you bought GM, Ford, or Chrysler. All of them were similar. When someone went "full syncro," then the rest eventually followed.

So far as I know Ford was first and GM ACTUALLY USED Ford gearboxes for awhile in such things as the Goats.

So see? You are just a whiney kid. Telling me I suck because I'm old is JUST LIKE telling your Dad and your Grandfather THEY suck because they are older than you.

Doesn't that make you feel GOOD? Doesn't that give you a nice warm YOUNG feeling that you KNOW so much more than your father and grandfather do?

Sadly, you have added nothing more, nothing new. You said it yourself. "To continue" that is the words you used. You came on here once and bitched. OK we get that. You said it. ONCE. But now, you are just pushing. You are just being irritating. You are not only NOT making friends here, you are losing them very quickly, if you ever had any at all.

AND you are / have lost ALL credibility. ANYONE that puts this much time into trashing the rest of us, and one easy to change component, SURELY must have problems. mental problems, perhaps. Or not enough to do? I don't know.

Hell even at my frail old age, I've managed to pull the what was a worn out transmission out of my Dart and replace it. So don't try and suggest that some of us are "has beens." I did NOT take it downtown and pay someone. I got under there, got greasy, and pulled it apart. Myself. With no help from YOU.

except we don't actually own one of those[/I]

Guess you can't read. Some of us still do. And I can guarantee I can shift through those three gears mounted on the column quicker than your 904 can. ;)

Anyway like I said I've just been enjoying seeing if I could get people to defend something that really isn't that great:D

Not great in your eyes because you're letting an inanimate object kick your ***.

SO NOW I GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE OLD PEOPLE and you have come on here specifically to downgrade, make fun of, and trash people just because we are old. NOW I see!!!!
-----------------
Sorry. You are just a pathetic, bratty, inexperienced little whiney boy.
-----------------
Listen, little boy.

he said he's 44 years old. Read up a little bit.

If any of us want to think back to the good old days, we didn't see this kind of nasty bickering, let's have no more of it, this site is better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back