this ain't no bull****....

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
I've said it before, I'll say it again, fairy tales start with "once upon a time..." car guys' (or wannabe car guys)stories start with "this ain't no bull****...."

Had an acquaintance stop by the store yesterday to show off his '63 Falcon. I towed it out of a field for him and got it to his garage. Over the past 18 months he's hauled butt to get it road worthy. Over the course of the past year I've helped him get it ready by selling him car parts through my job.

While we're standing there a guy pulls in with a newish Subaru and starts telling us about his car.

The one of 29 built only 3 remaining '64 Hemicuda's, all numbers matching split window coupe. Now mind you, this car is all numbers matching with a factory installed 540 inch Keith Black Hemi. And it's not a Barracuda, it's a Cuda and that's what makes it so rare.

Of course, I invited him to drive it down so I could see it and I got the usual response and excuses of how he doesn't have it, it's at his dad's house down in PA and he just hadn't gotten around to bringing it up to his house and he's not sure if he'd want to drive it being that rare and... you get the gist.

I have to wonder sometimes how people can sit around their car at a show and listen to idiots like that!!!! seems like they are plentiful.
now the guy with the Falcon, we all know that is what our hobby is all about.

Most wannabe's tell their stories and you can see the BS dripping out their pant leg.

My buddy who know very little about cars but can smell B.S. a mile away would stand in with the crowd and talk cars. If he smelled a B.S.er had go into one of his "oh that's nothin' " stories, something like.

" Mine was too slow so I hopped it up with a 3/4 race camshabby and reaplaced the johnson rod, now she's full race and has got two johnson rods.

He'd go on with all these twisted words from listening to car guys talk, freeking hilarious!

kinda like when me and the tractor roll up to the shop at " wrong" time of the day. he hollers " are ya broke,?" and I reply with something like " well YES! the friggin radiator must have broke a darn bearing, cause I smell hydraulic oil!!"

When I get those types, I just smile and say "That's nice."

In my previous life selling parts, a guy comes in with a nice old 'Vette, I don't remember, but pre-independent rear. He needed some of the big vent hose under the hood

So I went out and we measured it, and of course a crowd "happened."

"We" were all standing around gandering this when one of the flock speaks up. "This a 327?"

"Yes."

(Of course it could have been anything from a 283 to a 400 or in between)

"Yeah," continues him, "ya can always tell these Corvette 327s 'cause they are a little bit SHORTER than regular Chivvies!!!!!"

I always love to stand nearby when people are talking about a car I have there! You sure get some expert opinions on "he" should've done here, or where "he didn't do something right there"! And the amount of times I've heard " I used to have one just like it, but"..... especially when it comes to the early Cudas, gets a feller to thinking the roads were filled with nothing BUT Cuda's back then!!!

If I ever get advise on what's wrong with one of my cars, I always offer to let them find me that part I've been looking for for the past 20 years, and if they find it I'll be sure to buy it from them and put it on!! Only once did I get a package in the mail that way, and it was a doozy, a 67 GTX gas cap bezel for $30, which I paid the guy at a show on his promise to send one!!! Still on the car today!!!.........

They exist in the bike world too. Last summer I had a couple start chatting with me. He was telling me all about his early 80's liquid cooled v6 Harley. Made 400 ponies. Was made out of all magnesium so the motor only weighed 70 pounds.

This sounds like a real rare car,why is everyone laughing about it? MT

Have had people say

Had one just like it, but it was red and had 4 doors, but it was JUST LIKE IT

Yes there are some out there with some real stories.

I would like to see that barracuda, never seen a split window Cuda

At the track,in the pits after a pass(with hood up).I always get..does your car have a big block?I just smile and say yeah(I think fenderwell headers on a small block throws em off):D

I've said it before, I'll say it again, fairy tales start with "once upon a time..." car guys' (or wannabe car guys)stories start with "this ain't no bull****...."

Had an acquaintance stop by the store yesterday to show off his '63 Falcon. I towed it out of a field for him and got it to his garage. Over the past 18 months he's hauled butt to get it road worthy. Over the course of the past year I've helped him get it ready by selling him car parts through my job.

While we're standing there a guy pulls in with a newish Subaru and starts telling us about his car.

The one of 29 built only 3 remaining '64 Hemicuda's, all numbers matching split window coupe. Now mind you, this car is all numbers matching with a factory installed 540 inch Keith Black Hemi. And it's not a Barracuda, it's a Cuda and that's what makes it so rare.

Of course, I invited him to drive it down so I could see it and I got the usual response and excuses of how he doesn't have it, it's at his dad's house down in PA and he just hadn't gotten around to bringing it up to his house and he's not sure if he'd want to drive it being that rare and... you get the gist.
Typical bench racing, absolutely exists at parts stores/race tracks/ & cruise nights. Heard it so much, I have basically become numb to this. Still aggregates, though.

I am becoming a fan on confrontation for some reason.

I had a guy tell me about his factory hemi 1970 dart. I informed him that the dart didn't come with a hemi in 1970 and the look on his face was priceless. I used to beat around the bush and avoid situations like that until I started doing service work. I had to install a new toilet at one time so I did just that. My boss got a call from the customer sayying they never got a new toilet and proceeded to tell my boss I was a liar and don't do my job. That was when I stopped dealing with idiots using silence. I got on the phone and gave this clown the business. The boss knew I did the work thanks to the crap wax all over my blade and the empty box in the shop.

Sorry to get off topic but if this clown would have told me something like that I would have asked to see it then when he made the excuse I would have called him on it.

yes, yes.....I know the feeling. Just had one like that just recently. Young kid working at large home improvement center. I pulled around the back to load some lumber with my old Dodge pickup [1980 power wagon]. So the kid comes out and starts talking about a 1970 Challenger R/T [Hemi powered of course]. Seems he accidently slid off into a ditch this last winter. {slightly plausible considering he said he inherited the car from his Grandpa} Then he goes on ssaying that he put the Hemi in his 1992 {IIRC} Dodge pickup. So he goes o n asking what I had in my truck, I say "a 318 with 360 heads etc" so he goes on saying that a bud of his made 500 HP just by doing some tuning and adding dual exhaust to his 318. At that point I said "well I gotta get going before it starts raining. I didnt know whether to believe the kid or not to tell the truth. But then I thought about it for a while....yeah, I dont think so...LOL

his factory hemi 1970 dart. .

Ran into some guy at the local courthouse, getting a title. Here sits an "in progress" 69RR with factory air grabber hood. He told me "it's an original 440 car." So I asked him, "What, did you change the hood?"

He could not figure that out so I said "Only 440s in 69 were 6 packs".

He gets mad. "They put LOTS and LOTS of 440s in Road Runners."

"Well," says I, "I ain't gonna argue with YOU, but NO "they" didn't"

Ran into some guy at the local courthouse, getting a title. Here sits an "in progress" 69RR with factory air grabber hood. He told me "it's an original 440 car." So I asked him, "What, did you change the hood?"

He could not figure that out so I said "Only 440s in 69 were 6 packs".

He gets mad. "They put LOTS and LOTS of 440s in Road Runners."

"Well," says I, "I ain't gonna argue with YOU, but NO "they" didn't"

And people wonder why things are over priced and people are asking stupid money for cars!

-
Back