This doesn't look right...

-

DRENO

Reaction score
Had new mufflers installed about 5 months ago.Was getting the car ready to put away for the winter and i noticed there seemed to be exhaust sound coming from under the car. Took a look and could see exhaust smoke coming from behind the muffler.See for yourself. First pic is the back of the muffler. Front pipe is 2 1/2" and tailpipe looks like 2 1/4".Did he use the wrong muffler? Cannot you not get 2 1/2 in and 2 1/4 out? I would take it back but not only is it too late,cause of the snow, but the muffler shop is gone.:angry7: What a surprise. Any chance I might be able fix this myself?

View attachment IMG_0101f.jpg

Front looks ok.

View attachment IMG_0102f.jpg

Nope looks not good.I have 2 1/2 in 2 1/2 out.Looks to me to be 2 1/2 out with 2 inch tail pipe.take it back.

wait a sec, you mean for 5 months you couldn't tell something was wrong until you went under the car?

Looks like they chose to bend the smaller pipe for the tail pipe DRENO :angry7:
It looks like the exit of the Muffler could be 2 1/2 , They just stuck a 2 1/4 pipe in it. :angry7:
I have listed to DRENO's build =P~ and I can say it would be hard to hear that leek HotLines.
You may have to have have new tail pipes bent and put on correctly if that is a 2 1/2 exit hole out of your muffler DRENO . They sure clamped the exit hole down and the front need a couple more turns to lose that small leek I Think I see. Sorry to hear the place is shut down, I bet if you look at your receipt they charged you for 2 1/2 :angry7:

It looks to me like the 2 1/2 part of the pipe has moved inside the muffler>Pull it back out and tighten the clamp.With the pipe being bent right at the exit,stretched I bet it,s 2 1/2 once you pull it out.

It looks to me like the 2 1/2 part of the pipe has moved inside the muffler>Pull it back out and tighten the clamp.With the pipe being bent right at the exit,stretched I bet it,s 2 1/2 once you pull it out.

Thats what it looks like to me, or the guy bent the pipe to close on the muffler side and stuck the bend in it and clamped it... Where the pipe was bent that area will become smaller unless it's a mandrel bend... I always weld my exhaust pipes instead of using the clamps..

Looks like to me you could cut a slit in the muffler outlet so that it could be drawn together with the clamp for a quick fix.

whoever installed it did a misstake there, i would guese you hade a shorter muffler than that magnaflow in the first place. that tailpipe should have been cut down and reexpanded,
when using a compresionbender you can cut the pipe down even within the colapsed part of the pipe and then just expand it back to round again to fit the muffler of choise, it does alter the bend a few degres and there is always a possibility that the pipe will split when you do this, the sligth change in bend can most of the time be readjusted pretty easy..

that is IF that tailpipe realy is 2 1/4"

otherways no problem getting a magnaflow 2 1/4" muffler and just expand the inlet. there 14x9x4" 2 and 2 1/4" mufflers are realy 2½" mufflers with crimped down inlets/outlets anyway

BTW with standard U-bolt clamps i usualy try to avoid leaving the clamps pointing down,i usualy install them with the nuts up or pointing in or out if at all possible, gives a cleaner aperance and the next time the carowner is under the car doing some maintainancework he wont have to swear about the stupid mufflerguy putting the clamps downwards where the owner will tear him/herself or clothes up on them:(
only reason i can see for doing it that way is for a hobbyinstaller doing it at home not thinking of it or a lazy installer who just cant get at it with his impactgun.

its not the nicest install but just have the mufflers welded it will be fine.

I bet if you pull the tailpipe back some,you,ll see where it,s 2 1/2 inch pipe.Good luck,oh and tighten the clamp so it doesn,t happen again.:-D

I'll bet you're right Scott. I have done that before myself. If you stuff the tail pipe too far in and too close to the bend the clamp doesn't have anything to clamp to.

I went to a shop the same way and thing happened, they put it in too far and then cranked the U bolt down on both sides. I went back to the place and they said tough beans it's past my 6 month warrenty. what I did was just weld it closed, it's new enough that it should last a few years or so, so when it does go you can always redo it

Never been a fan of exhaust work, but doesnt the tailpipe have to be on the outside of the outlet of the muffler? To me it doesnt make sense to clamp down on the outlet, wouldnt you want to clamp down the tailpipe to the outlet? Maybe I'm not reading $hit right, but wouldnt be the 1st time.

Never been a fan of exhaust work, but doesnt the tailpipe have to be on the outside of the outlet of the muffler? To me it doesnt make sense to clamp down on the outlet, wouldnt you want to clamp down the tailpipe to the outlet? Maybe I'm not reading $hit right, but wouldnt be the 1st time.

The old time muffler guy I used for years always did it that way plus had the front pipe INSIDE the muffler pipe. Sounds logical to me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.I got some ideas but they will have to wait til next year.She's up on jackstands for the winter.Had enough of laying on the floor today to do anything else.My guess is that the guy ordered a muffler with 2 1/2" and and 2 1/2" outlet and never measured the tailpipe and thought he would just clamp it down.I suppose it's partly my fault for not checking his work.:bootysha:

Now that seems to make perfect sense to me.

The old time muffler guy I used for years always did it that way plus had the front pipe INSIDE the muffler pipe. Sounds logical to me.

Not disagreeing with you here....well maybe a little, but why on the inside of the muffler?? There is more chance of a leak that way isnt there??

Wait for the Spring thaw and take it to a performance oriented exhaust shop. The tail pipe going into the muffler seems like a big time restriction. It should have been expanded, slipped over the muffler and welded.

When they say 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inlet or outlet, they are referring to inside diameter. If you were to swedge the tailpipe over the outlet, it would be a very odd size, and you'd have trouble finding a clamp to fit. Your guy probably left the front pipe a little long, then had to shove the tailpipe in too far to clear the axle. It's going to take some heat and muscle to get it apart and straighten it out. Good luck

It's still crap work. Had they welded it instead like it's supposed to be done, you'd never have had that problem.

It's still crap work. Had they welded it instead like it's supposed to be done, you'd never have had that problem.

I agree,it's wasn't done right,bottom line.Says to me that the guy was trying to get away with not doing a proper job. Of course I'm the idiot for not checking the job. :bootysha:

-
Back