This is a new one on me, convertible???

-
Isn't an early Barracuda "notchback" a Valiant?

I like the concept drawing.

It showcases the B pillar flow.

A "spoiler" on the windshield frame top also helps with air into the passenger compartment.

You could probably make one yourself easy enough with Valiant or Dart convertible windshield parts and either fabbing a fairly simple targa or modding a real vert top.

If I had an early Cuda with a rusted roof, I'd sure think about it.

...in fact, I do have a 1972 Charger SE factory 400-4 sure grip car with a badly rusted roof (and rusty panels elsewhere but a solid uni-body).

If I had easy/cheap access to a 75 and up Charger\Cordoba\Magnum T top roof, I'd do it.

I've seen that done to an E body 'Cuda (72 IIRC) and it looks like they should have come that way from the factory!

The Charger should be an easier fit.

Imagine how much horsepower you would need to move that with the top off. That rear glass is going to act like a parachute.

I am not sure if there is much air moving along the roof line. Most of the turbulence happens at the decklid and package tray area... thus the Charger/Daytona rear window plug.
Targas are really nice to drive precicely because of that. Very calm at speed .

I have seen vinyl tops on 65 and 66 Barracudas.

Interior shot.
Landau_Int_Top.jpg
Landau_Sticker.jpg

I am not sure if there is much air moving along the roof line. Most of the turbulence happens at the decklid and package tray area... thus the Charger/Daytona rear window plug.
Targas are really nice to drive precicely because of that. Very calm at speed .

You never saw king Richard , trying a vinal top on one of his nascar stockers ? the wind actuall started ripping it off , he had to make a pit stop to tear the rest of it off. More wind/drag up there than u think.

Exert from 'Barracuda Unlocked': Due to Plymouth' lack of show cars, a design study was preformed that year and a few models received the "Landua Canopy" treatment. the goal was to emulate the simulated Landua roof treatment from the 163 Chrysler New Yorker. A 1964 Satellite II and the Barracuda was chosen to get the alteration. Design studio assistant manager David Cummings directed the transformation on a base model Barracuda where the sheet metal shop cut the roof section out to make way for the soft top. A windshield surrounding structure and trim from a valiant convertible was used and the paint shop made the repairs once the metal shop finished. It really was a stunning design that was minimal effort towards creating a show car. It was determined that the roof line would have to be lowered to make a real show quality show car, and since there was little time to retool the entire structure, the concept ended there, while Satellite II went on tour. The car was intended to be fitted the coming Formula S package and if the roof were engineered to be feasible, this version of the Barracuda may have found its way into production. The Barracuda concept car itself actually survived as did the Satellite II. It was thought the cars were destroyed as was the practice at the time. The barracuda's authenticity was verified by David Cummings, and it's since been sold a few times, but restored to its original (almost) show car glory. There were reports that a Dodge A- 100 van also received the Landua treatment, but no supporting documents or photos have been found. Yet.
One of the raret options was the vinyl top, seen on 1965 and 1966 model years.

You never saw king Richard , trying a vinal top on one of his nascar stockers ? the wind actuall started ripping it off , he had to make a pit stop to tear the rest of it off. More wind/drag up there than u think.

Never saw that . Was it on a Superbird or an older Plymouth ?

Never saw that . Was it on a Superbird or an older Plymouth ?
68 Road Runner. Google it. There's a pic of it with a bunch of tape above the windshield, tryi6to hold the vinyl down.

I have seen black and white photos of this car taken in the Plymouth design studio. Neat documentation too. I'm impressed that David Cummings was still at Chrysler in the Interior Trim Business Group after so many years. His description of how the car was intended to be equipped as a Formula S is very interesting.
Working at a giant car company must have been frustrating for real car guys and gals. On one hand you have the resources and capability to do almost anything but also you are contending with budgetary issues, bureaucracy, red tape, committees and upper management twits no to mention the insanity of trying to appeal to millions of car buyers and ever changing tastes.

-
Back