This is what i got. This is what i wanna put in it. Any advice would be appreciated

-
Any recommendations on rear ends from junk cars?
Affordability and parts availability, hands down the Ford 9". Even with the added cost of cutting it down and welding on new ends, you will still come out ahead.

Affordability and parts availability, hands down the Ford 9". Even with the added cost of cutting it down and welding on new ends, you will still come out ahead.
So true, tons of parts for the Ford 9" look under pickups, vans, Bronco's and old land barges for them in the junkyard.

You need to get rid of the parking brake tail stock on the trans and the exhaust manifolds will not work, there’s more to the list but I’m 100% sure other people will have their “opinion”
440-3 motor motor home engine has heads with zero performance potential, standard big block heads will fit with the correct gasket. Not an "opinion", but a fact

Last Ford production use of a nine inch was 35 years ago. Damn rare (and expensive) in boneyards around here.
My choice for a boneyard rear would be 100% 8.8 ford, from an exploder or mustang.
Lots of performance parts available, cause of guys racing fox bodies. Basically a 12 bolt chevy copy.

440-3 motor motor home engine has heads with zero performance potential, standard big block heads will fit with the correct gasket. Not an "opinion", but a fact
Yup and 452 head is probably the best choice for the current pump gas available, same flow as a 906.

Last Ford production use of a nine inch was 35 years ago. Damn rare (and expensive) in boneyards around here.
My choice for a boneyard rear would be 100% 8.8 ford, from an exploder or mustang.
Lots of performance parts available, cause of guys racing fox bodies. Basically a 12 bolt chevy copy.
I had one given to me just to get it out of the way. Now it's sitting in my spare bedroom almost 100% assembled and narrowed to the stock A body width.....well......just a tic shorter.

That's very true of the 8.8 they're a good piece......but there's that location thing again. Around "here" they've caught on to what a good swap rear end it is and they are not cheap.

I have a stock 8.75 for an A body, blasted and primed, need to find room in my outbuilding to stash it.
I sold the car I bought it for.

440-3 motor motor home engine has heads with zero performance potential,
As cast?
What heads on top?
Define performance potential.

I’m thinking 452 heads. Known to be able to be ported to and slightly better than 300 cfm. @IQ52 can show you the way.

standard big block heads will fit with the correct gasket. Not an "opinion", but a fact
Well, you didn’t think a Chevy 454 head gasket was going to be used now did ya?
:lol:

As cast?
What heads on top?
Define performance potential.

I’m thinking 452 heads. Known to be able to be ported to and slightly better than 300 cfm. @IQ52 can show you the way.

Well, you didn’t think a Chevy 454 head gasket was going to be used now did ya?
:lol:
The heads and block on the 440-3 have extra cooling passages which will be blocked using a standard head gasket. I read over at Moparts that doing this resulted in high running temps

I have read other info that says it was ok

IIRC, the motor home heads had angled 5/8 plugs, that the cfm flow was less, and had smaller valves.

To restate what I said earlier, you will probably spend more than usual to get the motor home heads to
"Some performance potential" vs starting with 452's in the first place.

My 2¢ Front engine plate and fenderwell headers along with manual brakes/steering help a ton. If you put in a J Bar brace, you can cut the inner fenders out. Spark plugs and such just got even easier.

Im not looking for speed. I just want it to be loud. Straight headers to 4" side pipes.

I have plenty of time and money to put in it.
A 360 with 63cc heads, falls together at close to 11/1Scr, ; and
that makes her plenty loud, and
the SBM almost drops right in, and
you get to keep your P/S, PDB, A/C, whatever, and
in your case, (not looking for speed), you can use any old trans/any old rear end/any old gear, but with a SureGrip/Posi in it, and
just Stall it up a lil.
------------------------------
However;
side-pipes with headers, is gonna be a bit of a PITA, as to plumbing it. Dusters/Demons/2nd gen Barracudas, are 108 wheelbase cars. The header collectors stop at about where the doors start, and that's without any collector extensions. Then you gotta make two 90s back to back, from the collectors over to the side pipes, dropping underneath the frame to get there. By the time you get that done, with say 2.5" pipes, you're getting past the middle of the door, and chewing up ground clearace in a hurry.
So yur gonna have to be mighty creative, to figure the rest out.
I had thought to do this on my car also, but after the TTI's were installed, and 18" extensions, it was just not possible. T/A style side-exits were, but I'm a streeter, and not a fan of exhaust pointing at the guy in the next lane....... cuz I too was planning to be loud. So instead, I just ran dual 3 inchers all the way to the back bumper thru Dynomax 3-pass muffs..... which turned out to be plenty loud enough, at WOT, for me, even with slash-cut turn-downs.
Yes, I suppose, I could have installed Shorties, but that, IMO, using a 360 with a manual-trans, would have been too big a performance-sacrifice, for me. Jus saying and,

Happy HotRodding

Last edited:
@AJ/FormS

I had thought to do this on my car also, but after the TTI's were installed, and 18" extensions, it was just not possible.

I have seen offered “U” bends and 2 per side will do it.
But I agree, a PIA it’ll be.

The heads and block on the 440-3 have extra cooling passages which will be blocked using a standard head gasket. I read over at Moparts that doing this resulted in high running temps

I have read other info that says it was ok
I don’t see an issue with cooling. IDK
IIRC, the motor home heads had angled 5/8 plugs, that the cfm flow was less, and had smaller valves.
I’ve never noted an angle plug. This maybe, IDK.
The head flow is the same for its series number. Valve size aside. If you have the bucks or can do it yourself, they accept larger valves easy and port out very well. 300+ cfm, no problem.
To restate what I said earlier, you will probably spend more than usual to get the motor home heads to
"Some performance potential" vs starting with 452's in the first place.
What exact head are we dealing with here again?
Sorry, I thought they were 452’s. Which now that I RR read the thread was never mentioned. So we are both off track.

The head is capable of 400 hp

A 360 with 63cc heads, falls together at close to 11/1Scr, ; and
that makes her plenty loud, and
the SBM almost drops right in, and
you get to keep your P/S, PDB, A/C, whatever, and
in your case, (not looking for speed), you can use any old trans/any old rear end/any old gear, but with a SureGrip/Posi in it, and
just Stall it up a lil.
------------------------------
However;
side-pipes with headers, is gonna be a bit of a PITA, as to plumbing it. Dusters/Demons/2nd gen Barracudas, are 108 wheelbase cars. The header collectors stop at about where the doors start, and that's without any collector extensions. Then you gotta make two 90s back to back, from the collectors over to the side pipes, dropping underneath the frame to get there. By the time you get that done, with say 2.5" pipes, you're getting past the middle of the door, and chewing up ground clearane in a hurry.
I had thought to do this on my car also, but after the TTI's were installed, and 18" extensions, it was just not possible. T/A style side-exits were, but I'm a streeter, and not a fan of exhaust pointing at the guy in the next lane....... cuz I too was planning to be loud. So instead, I just ran dual 3 inchers all the way to the back bumper thru Dynomax 3-pass muffs..... which turned out to be plenty loud enough, at WOT, for me, even with slash-cut turn-downs.
Yes, I suppose, I could have installed Shorties, but that, IMO, using a 360 with a manual-trans, would have been too big a performance-sacrifice, for me. Jus saying and,

Happy HotRodding
Thank you!

I don’t see an issue with cooling. IDK

I’ve never noted an angle plug. This maybe, IDK.
The head flow is the same for its series number. Valve size aside. If you have the bucks or can do it yourself, they accept larger valves easy and port out very well. 300+ cfm, no problem.

What exact head are we dealing with here again?
Sorry, I thought they were 452’s. Which now that I RR read the thread was never mentioned. So we are both off track.

The head is capable of 400 hp
That motor probably has 213 heads

-
Back