This may a be a stupid question by I need to make sure

-
I have lifted many big blocks with the tranny and accessories. With the plate bolted to an aluminum intake. I trust 4 bolts more than a chain and 2 bolts. Kim

Ever look up the tensile strength of a 5/16 stud?

You can lift an entire SB with ONE stud!

As long as the threads in intake are good, not an issue.

The most important thing is use hard studs and nuts. Bottom out the studs so you have use of all the treads in the intake. Do not use threaded rod use studs. With bolts you never get the use of all the threads unless they are loose or fit perfect. Just a thought to keep it safe.

Ever look up the tensile strength of a 5/16 stud?

You can lift an entire SB with ONE stud!

As long as the threads in intake are good, not an issue.

Years ago I worked at a shop that had blocks stored on a mezzanine above the work area. I scored my first 440 block from the shop owner for free and had to get it down with the shops overhead crane. Problem was the crane was at max height and the 440 block was about 2 feet higher. Apparently the block was put up there on a skid with a forklift--I was a lot younger and dumb and daring. Basically I had to shove the block off the roof and watch it plunge about two feet before the slack was taken up on the crane's chain at max height. At least I had it secured with one yes one 5/16" bolt in one of the timing cover holes through one of those lifting rings with 4 bolts in it! It held but was scary as hell . Tensile strength of a bolt in straight shear is immense-4 of these bolts could lift a whole car from a throttle cable that's connected off a backhoe bucket--Ask me how I know. J.Rob

Last edited:
I've used the same chain since I was 16, but I've also used that chain shortened with signle 5/16s bolt and nut. Never had a problem even with parting out Cbody 440s with AC and PS all attached.

Just ask my friend that was unloading his fully machined 540 ford just back from the machine shop, 1 bolt in the front of the block were the front cover bolts on and the bolt held up fine but the casting above the bolt hole cracked and came apart, the block landed on the rear main cap and blew out the back of the block. Lesson learned, you are correct about tinsel strength of bolts, but that casting may have had a hair line crack were some one screwed a bolt in that was to long, who knows but I have seen a 460 fall on it's head and a fully restored 389 Pont tri power dropped on the oil pan from about 3 ft. so I am very careful when it comes to lifting heavy things. The 389 was a classic, they moved from 1 shop to another and used the same chain block but the roof was about 6 ft higher when they hooked up the chain they only had a few links no bolt in the end of the chain to stop it they started to lower it to the stand and ran out of chain boom down it came. There were all stupid mistakes you don't think about till you see it happen.

Years ago I worked at a shop that had blocks stored on a mezzanine above the work area. I scored my first 440 block from the shop owner for free and had to get it down with the shops overhead crane. Problem was the crane was at max height and the 440 block was about 2 feet higher. Apparently the block was put up there on a skid with a forklift--I was a lot younger and dumb and daring. Basically I had to shove the block off the roof and watch it plunge about two feet before the slack was taken up on the crane's chain at max height. At least I had it secured with one yes one 5/16" bolt in one of the timing cover holes through one of those lifting rings with 4 bolts in it! It held but was scary as hell . Tensile strength of a bolt in straight shear is immense-4 of these bolts could lift a whole car from a throttle cable that's connected off a backhoe bucket--Ask me how I know. J.Rob

Man...you must have been young!! I had a 4.2 for a CJ-7 being delivered to my house and the truck didn't have a lift gate. So I run my hoist down the driveway to the truck and it's about a foot too short. Slid the engine on the pallet out and let it swing!! Just glad the hoist didn't topple over! Don't think I'd be as daring now!!

Man...you must have been young!! I had a 4.2 for a CJ-7 being delivered to my house and the truck didn't have a lift gate. So I run my hoist down the driveway to the truck and it's about a foot too short. Slid the engine on the pallet out and let it swing!! Just glad the hoist didn't topple over! Don't think I'd be as daring now!!
I would like to say I was 19 but I had just turned 20. J.Rob

Ya I'm 59 so I have seen a lot of mistakes in my time.

I'd be more concerned with the proof load of the aluminum threads in the manifold than the tensile strength of four steel 5/16" bolts or studs.
IMO, Use it but be safe. Proper thread engagement and condition of the bolt holes would be my main concern. Bottoming out a bolt or stud could cause galling and possibly damage the threads upon removal. And be careful to not over torque and stretch the threads.
Not that this is the case, but I don't think I'd try it in something that has helicoils installed.

Lotta weight, no problem. Heavier homemade lifting plate though.
engine install 001.JPG

I'll say it again, just so when it happens to someone, they'll have been warned.

You can use the plate on intakes that are stock, or have very little porting. If you actually port the intake and do the plenum, I can break the intake manifold. I have done it.

It has zero to do with the stud. It has to do with where the load is distributed through the intake. If it gets thin, it can pop the plenum. Been there, done that.

If you are using a stock intake, or you don't believe in porting your intake, then you are golden.

I'll say it again, just so when it happens to someone, they'll have been warned.

You can use the plate on intakes that are stock, or have very little porting. If you actually port the intake and do the plenum, I can break the intake manifold. I have done it.

It has zero to do with the stud. It has to do with where the load is distributed through the intake. If it gets thin, it can pop the plenum. Been there, done that.

If you are using a stock intake, or you don't believe in porting your intake, then you are golden.
i can totally see this - i am porting my intake as we speak and I was wondering about the exact issue this thread is asking....because there is VERY little meat left in many of my runners....stock intake i wouldn't worry....

-
Back