Thoughts on 2011 Mustang GT.

-
Don't get mad because the Challenger is the slowest. It's nothing to get mad about at all. Things are simply, how they are.

All three cars come with street tires, stock so it's a wash. Slap drag radials on all three and the outcome wouldn't change much.

The Challenger is still a great car. And yes……. Mentioning a 64 dart with a 416 really doesn't fit this thread.

I will simply get by with my 04 GT. 110k miles, oil, filters, tires and clean it.

It ain't as fast as a new one but it is paid for and i like the looks better than the new ones.

us1297.jpg

Chrysler screwed up with the Charger(a 4 Door Charger?)They should redo the Charger into a 2 door smaller ,lighter Hemi coupe.Honestly,I think it has alot to do with the economy and both GMs and Chryslers financial situation.Isnt Ford the only US automaker to not have to get bailed out?I think Chrysler and GM are going to focus more on building cars that they know they can profit on and sell.like trucks,SUVs,instead of focusing on the performance side.And also,there is the fact that alot of them are also trying to develop technologies for 0 Emissions cars,cars less dependent on fossil fuels,etc.I believe had GM and Chrysler were in better financial situation,they would build cars that would kick the 'Stangs *** easy.That new Stang is impressive,Ford or not =)

Gezz guys my bros challey runs 13.04 with only a cold air intake. He is remapping the chip and expects 12.5 with just a stock chally 500.

Well GM does have a vette ZO6 and there is a dodge viper and both and the new CTS caddy will destroy all 3 of these cars, but you need to compare apples to apples that 10k more for an SRT BS you are noting looking at the options accessories comforts etc.

So GM does make faster cars but more $$$ too :)

PS I am not mad and the mags are slanted for performance too

Well GM does have a vette ZO6 and there is a dodge viper and both and the new CTS caddy will destroy all 3 of these cars, but you need to compare apples to apples that 10k more for an SRT BS you are noting looking at the options accessories comforts etc.

So GM does make faster cars but more $$$ too :)

PS I am not mad and the mags are slanted for performance too

Im looking at the base price of the three. This gives how fast you can go for your dollar.

i just went to the bathroom no still no thoughts on the popo stang

Im looking at the base price of the three. This gives how fast you can go for your dollar.

TRUE! But you get more than HP per $$s on a Challenger at any trim level, it is not a pure HP car for if you base it on HP and weight Mustang wins and if you like a plastic dash cheap interior and a ride not as good and inferior looks then that is fine. it does make for HP per $$ true.

But then again so does a built A body right:)

my dad has a 2007 mustang gt 5 speed for a commuter car and isnt no slouch at 300 hp. runs pretty good for a bone stock car. now in 2011 over 400 horse at i think 7000 rpm. gonna be a nice car.

my dads 2007 gt gets 26-27 mpg, he looked at a challenger but he travels 100 miles a day and challenger with v8 is no where near close for mileage and at 3 bucks a gallon adds up.
my pops challenger R/T with a 6sp gets 28mpg freeway and 22 combined....

Also remember the challenger is a merc cruiser, but yes I agree it needs to be sold a little cheaper and weigh less.

A buddy of mine just bought one about 4 hours ago. He should be here in a bit. I will post the video later tonight.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQYLcGuvfw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQYLcGuvfw[/ame]

wow he gets 28mpg out of his challenger, damn. i had no idea honestly. everyone that comes to the shop says they dont do to great. i think they all had auto so the 6 speed must be a big difference. also he needed a new car before challenger so got the mustang. i dont care for it. im use to a 79 amx i drive every day also. hes looking into the 3 the last few weeks, debating challenger, camaro or mustang. i told him find a demon, new style running gear and suspension, ac and have a realible car and be a old a body. none of this new crap.

I haven't driven any of them but it is nice to see the competition among the (former) Big Three and to see them building products the buying public is getting excited about. Instead of ugly front-drive V6's. It's about time.

skep419,

The part in the vid with your dart running was BAADDD!! lol....I like the Dart 100X better!!!! Sounded way better too....U'd beat him hands down! lol

My opinion. given the cash/drive to have a current pony car i'd buy a challenger. Mainly because that styling is just sex.

However, there is no denying that the new 5.0 is a monster. Its just crammed into the new body style that i really don't like.

Well, went to a cruise in last night and a guy pulled in with a 2011 candy red convertible GT, 6 speed. He says he waited 7 weeks to get it and man was it nice. Definitely the biggest damn 5.0 I've ever seen. I swear the heads are 12 inches wide! He told me to sit in it and see how it feels- bad idea! I have to admit I've always been a fan of the mustangs and the 2011''s are the nicest yet. Oh, and they come with real headers from the factory!

The 5.0 that made the Fox body Mustangs performance and sound is comming back. 2012 I think.

Well I guess you have never driven one of the new SRTs huh? I have 6 mopars, best driving stoppomg corning ar ever built from Mopar that is not a Viper.

And I guess you opinion is that and I respect it too. 8)

My 64 Dart has a longer wheel base than any of the cars in this pic, the Cuda is wider lower, your *** sits o nthe ground in the seats but the car does not hug the ground as does the SRT, the SRT has much more comfy seats better leg and head room. YOU CAN HAVE both.

That said I would take my Cuda over either new Challenger any day too. But the Cuda does not ride like a new car, but does haul good for a 340 car in the 1/4 is easy to work on, has great looks and with the factory handling package and new better gas shocks handles decent for what she is.

I like all Mopars old new, A,B, E etc. You can debate this to hell freezes over, but I am glad all 3 are making some decent rides, beats the heclk out of the 80s crap all 3 were making.

Nope we will not see 1957-1971 again, and these modern cars are short lived too.

The EPA and crash standards and bumpers etc started very heavily getting slammed back in 1974.

I do I agree I wish in some aspects we could go back to 1970 and do it again.

And a stock SS Camaro is no faster that a 6spd SRT that is pure BS I can post 100s of time slips, 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 times. And the gearing is so darn tall even with 3.92s that a 6 spd with 20" rims does 180+ stock no issues.

And the camaro is about 4000 lbs too. The new Camaros with blower optioned engines etc are in another league and we can add a blower too. Guys are making well over 800HP on the GEN III stroker hemis. Yep Mopar should do better to compete for those that want it I agree. We are finally getting a 6.4l 392 hemi this year, but they should stroke it to a 426 be done with it and crank 600hp at the crank like the aftermarket.

But go drive each and dont judge just performance but stopping, corning etc and ride. The new car is more of a LUXURY hotrod and more upper end inside than any stang or camaro!

Also, I get 27-28 mpg on the SRT and the SE 2010 v-6 HO with the 5 spd auto gets 29-31 MPG consistantly too and zips decent for a 3600 smog car.. Many have ram them stock mid 15s which for a big car with a v-6 is very decent. Nope it aint going to run with a new 2011 v-6 stang, but then again they ride like crap, are smaller and less comfy too.

It is all about what you want in a car.:)

your gonna compare the srt to a regular mustang GT or camaro? can't do it. you want to pull the srt into the mix then ya better be comparing it to the shelby. the srt is just a stupid arguement . whats the price of the srt compared to a gt or camaro? nuff said.

TRUE! But you get more than HP per $$s on a Challenger at any trim level, it is not a pure HP car for if you base it on HP and weight Mustang wins and if you like a plastic dash cheap interior and a ride not as good and inferior looks then that is fine. it does make for HP per $$ true.

But then again so does a built A body right:)

and your gonna try to tell me that the challenger doesn't have a cheap plastic so so looking int? your nuts man. all the cars have way too much plastic on the interiors if ya ask me. the stang and camaro mimik the cars from the past. i don't see that in the challenger.

don't know about anyone else but this int looks better then any i seen in a challenger...

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

If anyone actually pays attention to what MotorTrend thinks, they did an SRT8/GT 500/Z28 comparison and despite some serious inattention on the part of Chrysler, the SRT8 Challenger fared surprisingly well. The Chebbie, well, not as well as you might expect.

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/778...-gt500-vs-srt-8-vs-hennessey-hp550/index.html

The Ford is one serious piece of hardware and ignore it at your own risk. Still, there will be another day for Mopar performance and let's not forget the A bodies we are so fond of were the car to beat back in their day, even if that was 30 to 40 years ago. The reason they were so fast is exactly what Ford has accomplished today. Keep the weight down and the power up.

One of my favorite kill stories involves a friend who owned a Vega. I had my first 360 powered 68 Cuda at the time and I usually fared pretty well. We all laughed at the Vega owner with his puny 4 banger, but one day his car disappeared for several weeks. When it showed up, SBC transplant and he was ready to take some revenge. I lined up against him and beat him handily. He could scarcely believe this was happening. I had to give him a lesson in power to weight ratio. My 360 cubes vs. his 350 plus when we weighed the cars, I was 500 lbs less than his car. All adds up to a win for Mopar. Bottom line was that Mopar liked to build a lightweight car, usually with dubious quality control, and equip it with some serious horsepower. No doubt the quality of the new Challenger is much better than the old 70's muscle cars and the new Hemi's can get the job done, but the weight!!! Oh my!

-
Back