Thread Sealant for Coolant Parts?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Any recommendations for above. I have seepage coming from the water pump bypass fitting 360 LA engine. Replaced the fitting still does it, been using Permatex in the small plastic jar. Thanks

The Permatex red heavy bodied gasket maker works for my dad and I over about 12 engines we've build. Also used the white Permatex thread sealer too.

I like using high temp RTV. I don't get why people are so damned hard headed about this. You ask advice and get 100 different answers about 100 different things to use on each individual part like pipe threads, bolts, freeze plugs and everything else that needs sealant......when guess what? High temp RTV on every single thing on an engine that needs to be sealed. ONE product. But hay, people still use Gaskacinch, teflon tape, liquid teflon, shellac, Indian Head, and on and on and on. One product for each different thing when one product for all will work and in most cases work better. Makes zero sense to me.

Thanks to all.
I like using high temp RTV. I don't get why people are so damned hard headed about this. You ask advice and get 100 different answers about 100 different things to use on each individual part like pipe threads, bolts, freeze plugs and everything else that needs sealant......when guess what? High temp RTV on every single thing on an engine that needs to be sealed. ONE product. But hay, people still use Gaskacinch, teflon tape, liquid teflon, shellac, Indian Head, and on and on and on. One product for each different thing when one product for all will work and in most cases work better. Makes zero sense to me.

Any particular one, never have used it. Thanks..

Thanks to all.

Any particular one, never have used it. Thanks..

I always use the store brand. It's normally a dollar or more cheaper than the name brand and I am sure made by the same company. The red is the high temp.

I always use the store brand. It's normally a dollar or more cheaper than the name brand and I am sure made by the same company. The red is the high temp.

I'm with you Rob
There are certain things I will use teflon tape on, like water pump nipples.
But red RTV is the king about everywhere else.
BTW, the red stuff also dries firmer than any of the other variations.
Seems to me all those other types (Ultra blue, Ultra black) that are supposed to be for sealing oils don't work as good as the red High Temp even on oil.
Plus the Ultra's are way softer when dry.

Intake to block china rail
Manifold to heads bolts
Wet studs in heads
water pump to block sealing surface
water pump to block bolt threads
Oil pan gasket
Oil filter plate gaskets
Valve covers
Main bearing cap to block
crank nose to balancer
And lots more.

Been using it for decades for all the above stuff.

Some people put way more than needed on, but this is the killer stuff right here.

RTV.jpeg

I never understood why people would use RTV as thread sealant. If you enjoy trying to get gunked up RTV out of your threads when its time to take it apart, have at it. RTV is not desinged to seal threads. It is for gaskets, or a gasket maker

Guess what you want to seal up your threads.?
Thread Sealant !!!!!!!
This is the best thread sealant for threads on the market.
Get it, use it, don't look back.

9147HX48S8L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Yea, put some of the above on the bolt threads that go into a water jacket.

Any recommendations for above. I have seepage coming from the water pump bypass fitting 360 LA engine. Replaced the fitting still does it, been using Permatex in the small plastic jar. Thanks
I used to use red silicone on everything until I started having exhaust stud leaks.
Emailed Permatex and they recommended they new Ultra Grey High Torque silicone.
Used it on the exhaust studs and no leaks for 6 months.
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...igid-high-torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-2/

fam_img_370-1.jpeg

You can find this at your parts store and it's not cheap.. there's a reason why...
I use it on everything and have never had a drop on the floor of any fluid EVER...my2...

I never understood why people would use RTV as thread sealant. If you enjoy trying to get gunked up RTV out of your threads when its time to take it apart, have at it. RTV is not desinged to seal threads. It is for gaskets, or a gasket maker

Thread Sealant !!!!!!!

View attachment 1715499246

That's the lamest excuse ever not to use RTV. I've told this story before but here it is again. Back in the late 80s-early 90s I worked for our local Chevy dealer in the service department. They used exactly the same liquid product you posted......but of course it was GM's own brand. Same liquid teflon. GM sent out a TSB (technical service bulletin) instructing everyone to stop using it, because it was boiling off of head bolts and coolant was migrating up the bolts into the valve cover area and contaminating the engine oil with coolant. It was, too. We saw many examples, especially the GM 2.8 and 3.1 V6s. They were really bad about it for some reason. That's why I use RTV to this day and I've never had a failure. Clean up? Seriously? You cannot be that lazy.

That's the lamest excuse ever not to use RTV. I've told this story before but here it is again. Back in the late 80s-early 90s I worked for our local Chevy dealer in the service department. They used exactly the same liquid product you posted......but of course it was GM's own brand. Same liquid teflon. GM sent out a TSB (technical service bulletin) instructing everyone to stop using it, because it was boiling off of head bolts and coolant was migrating up the bolts into the valve cover area and contaminating the engine oil with coolant. It was, too. We saw many examples, especially the GM 2.8 and 3.1 V6s. They were really bad about it for some reason. That's why I use RTV to this day and I've never had a failure. Clean up? Seriously? You cannot be that lazy.

General Motors, Head Bolts, what the heck are you talking about ?
This isn't used on head bolts...Lol

Thread Sealant !!!!!!!

View attachment 1715499246

View attachment 1715499248
You can find this at your parts store and it's not cheap.. there's a reason why...
I use it on everything and have never had a drop on the floor of any fluid EVER...my2...

This is the best stuff I have ever found, never dries out, never leaks.

View attachment 1715499257

I have seen all the products listed here over the years that claim to be better, and maybe some are.
But if you have success with something why change?
One product does about everything for me and I been doin this awhile.:D

I have seen all the products listed here over the years that claim to be better, and maybe some are.
But if you have success with something why change?
One product does about everything for me and I been doin this awhile.:D
Op was looking for a product and I gave my two cents as stated....

One of the things that I suspect most of us bo is not follow the instructions regardless of the sealer. Most of the silicone say apply, let set some, tighten part. Others day let dry for 12 to 24 hours before use.

I replaced a water pump and got done for the night at the point right before adding coolant, allowed 12+ hours of dry time, not a drop. In the past I would have refilled and fired it up within minutes of torquing the last bolt

Most of the fittings on the water side of the block are pipe thread. Pipe dope, aka, pipe thread sealant from plumbing suppliers usually work best for American NPT pipe. The block plugs, bypass hose, big block heater hose fittings are all standard tapered pipe threads. If the female side is worn, damaged or tapped too deep, you'll have a leak. Teflon tape, wound in the correct direction starting about 3/4 thread back with pipe dope over it can help seal minor problem threads.

I have seen the teflon pipe sealant leak more often than it should. I use t-tape on pipe threads.
Silicone for most every gasket application. I recall a sealant i used way back, victor odd job. It was orange and tough. Get it on smaller threads and its not coming apart. Bolts break.
Clean up, small wire brush that goes in my cordless drill,and compressed air. The threads need to be cleaned regardless what you use.

Thanks again for all the input. Sealant is not working, I am looking at trying, the pink Teflon tape, Red RTV, or the Megaloc thread sealant. Any Thoughts? Thanks

-
Back