Throttle cable

-

jrosey

Reaction score
Do throttle cables differ in length between /6 and bb or body size

Yes. But it's a little weird that the suppliers can't agree which length fits which cars. Measure what you have.

Like Max said, they are different. Measure and compare. I have photos of some but not scanned. My recollection is that I was able to make my /6 cable work on the v-8 w/ single plane manifold, but its not the best. That cable eventually frayed - probably not related - and hung up inside the housing. That resulted in the throttle only openi ng with the foot pedal...that was an exciting shutdown on the highway...

There is also some difference in the attachement between '67 and '68, maybe I'll remember later what it is.

Most look for a longer cable when installing a higher intake, In the past I ways used a small block dodge truck cable. That is what is on my duster in this picture.

Attachments

• DSCF0039[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF0041[1].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 175
Furthermore, different carbs have different requirements as to the total travel. With the pedal end engaged, the exposed portion of the inner cable differs to compensate. If you happen to chose the wrong cable, and it is too short, it will not fully open the throttle. Or worse if you set it to fully open the secondaries, it may not return to idle. Moving the anchor will not fix this. So when shopping, you will need to know how much cable exposure or rather, travel, you need.

Yea my cable is 24" but like an inch short on my 383 I'm putting in my dart it has a torker 383 manifold so not to tall has an eddy carb

Yea my cable is 24" but like an inch short on my 383 I'm putting in my dart it has a torker 383 manifold so not to tall has an eddy carb

you aughta send that cable to me, I could use a back up ;)

I just converted my slant to a 2bbl, and had to get the shortest cable I could find (19-1/2" -- it's for a Hemi, of course), and even that is longer than necessary. Because the 2bbl pulls straight back, but the 1bbl pulled straight down, so it had a big curve underneath.

Alternatively you could just make life easy and run an aftermarket cut-to-fit job. Silky smooth pedal travel over the OEM stuff to boot.

-
Back