Tilt column for 65 dart

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Who makes a nice tilt column for 65 dart? All the ones i have found are for generic motors or furd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure why you'd want one, extra weight?

Your best bet would be an ididit or other street rod universal (GM based) column kit.

Didn't know I had to justify my questions? Why does anyone want a tilt column, so It tilts. Don't think the extra 5 pounds is going to slow me down much.

Gtmopar~ you don't have to justify. Some people get hung up on the weight issue... Or want more info to "figure out" where you are coming from. Those in the know understand the justification. All the same irritating... But no harm meant, I'm sure.

Aloha bro! The air cleaner looks sweet!

Hey mike! Yea I know it just seems lately on this forum which I really enjoy and learn on I get some real asshole people that try to stifle every question everyone has. Really bums me out that's all. I'm far from errogant and always appreciate help and direction and never steer anyone in the wrong direction. Glad you like the air cleaner mike. I was worried some idiot would dent or screw it up so I'm happy it made it without issues. Take care.

Take a look on the Ididit website. They have specific ones for Cuda/Challenger and Jeep. I don't see any for A bodies though. They do seem to have quite a selection of universals that might work. tmm

http://www.ididitinc.com/

Lol... The quote I always remember is this...."arguing on the Internet is like winning the special Olympics. Congrats on the win... But you are still retarded." so yes, we all have are moments in the sun on the Internet!

Let it roll off bro... So many great people and info on this site... It's totally worth the occasional. A-hole.

Aloha bro!!!!

Haa!!!! That's awesome mike. They need their own site " For A Holes Only" ha! Thanks guys. I was looking at ididit but I didn't see any but maybe I can get one that's close and modify it accordingly.

Oh yeah, summit has Flaming River tilt steering columns for Mopar and the prices are just what we're used to 500 and up........

oh and remember...OUR cars all about needing some kind of modification to make it "fit" or "work".. so we can CRUISE!!!!!

and yes.. .the guys that are actually helping...with site and manufactures... thats who I'd use. Give them a call and tell them your needs!

Yea no kidding huh? Should have bought a 70 cuda then I could build a whole one out of a magazine

perhaps you could modify one out of a late 80s 5th ave That way it stays Mopar. Mounting and length would need some attention I am sure. But its plausible.

Several months ago, I called Flaming River with questions and they were very helpful. Might be worth a call.

FWIW, many new Mopars had GM owned Saginaw tilt wheels. It was the only defective part I had on my '77 Dodge Monaco, and it had to be repaired three times in the two years I owned the car.

yeah...but I tend to think of them as "Paycheck" cars.....:violent1:

We call those "Visa Card Hot Rods" - usually found parked on a trailer.

I have used a couple of IdidIt columns in builds, and have been happy with the result. They make a universal tilt that should be small enough to fit well.

B.

Maybe something from a later car - FMJ - might fit. Years ago I transplanted a tilt column from something like a mid 70s Cordoba to a 66 Belvedere. Pretty close to a bolt-in other than the wiring.

perhaps you could modify one out of a late 80s 5th ave That way it stays Mopar. Mounting and length would need some attention I am sure. But its plausible.
Thats a better solution than my idea, but if you can't find one, then is it possible for you to modify another brand to work and look like you want?

There is a company called Southern Rods in S.C.(Greenville or Greer) that at one time was reasonable on Custom order Tilts but the last one I bought from them was in '05 but was a good quality. I like them because the older I get it seems it gets harder to get in and out of my Car ! LOL !

That big, plastic ugly pile of crap from an 80's mopar would be a real mess in an early A body.

You need a small tilt column with no ignition lock & a short tilt section. Ididit makes a decent one like this:

Ididit retrofit column

The mustang has the same issues with limited space for the tilt assembly & ignition key on the dash.

B.

Thanks for the input guys. Think I can make a universal ididit column work. Looked at one at the summit retail store in Reno and it should work out ok. If not I have a tig and some BFH's. Ha

Got a part number for those who might like to do the same thing?

-
Back