Time for a career change!!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have been doing maintenance for apartment complexes for a few years now got really burnt out on it after being bought out three times and constantly changing management. I managed to get an interview with a building materials distributor and got the call today that an offer letter will be arriving tomorrow. I'm ecstatic to say the least but I'm nervous as hell! Anyone have a few good words of advice?

I have loved the job I am at until the last few months. Things have been heading south with all the new employees and I'm begining to realize that I can only be promote two more times before I am at the top. The new job has a lot more opportunity and I will have free time since I will not be on call for three weeks a month.

Anyone have a few good words of advice?
Here's a few

1.Be at work on time.
2.Do your job well.
3.Leave any personal baggage at home.

Not trying to be a d**k, just telling you what bosses like.

Anytime you feel you should make a change instinct is usually right best of luck to you.
I left my job as a retail manager after 25 years and opened a fabrication shop this year my instinct said it was time to go. Best move i made but like you was nervous jump in and do what you do best and the rewards will be there. The big plus for me was now my wife has no clue as to what the hell im doing on my car.

I have loved the job I am at until the last few months. Things have been heading south with all the new employees and I'm begining to realize that I can only be promote two more times before I am at the top. The new job has a lot more opportunity and I will have free time since I will not be on call for three weeks a month.

^^^Very wise to realize you'll hit a ceiling with what you're doing now.

Advice, don't be scared or insecure. Just do the best you can each day and mind your own business.

Final note, be professional with the job you are leaving. Its a small world. Best of luck!!!

Final note, be professional with the job you are leaving. Its a small world. Best of luck!!!

Yep, "don't burn bridges" is one of my favorite phrases on that subject.
One of the other ones is "If you hate your job and your life so much that you feel you have to take on the people around you, then go somewhere else".

Not you personally Doogie, but about how some employees act to a customer.

Sounds like you don't have any reservations about leaving your current. Congrats on the offer!

I personally wouldn't tell them that you're leaving because you got "burnt out".

First of all, CONGRATS!!

Like many others have said, go with your gut...it is usually right.

It's normal to be a little nervous. I'll never forget a quote from The Lion King,

Simba: Yeah. Looks like the winds are changing.
Rafiki: Ah, change is good.
Simba: Yeah, but it's not easy

Good luck man, you'll do great.

Lot of great advise here. I worked for the gas company from 1972 to 1974 and got a wild hair and left. In 1983 I got a chance to go back but would have to take a 50 cent cut in pay to start.I took it because the future was brighter there than welding in a fab shop. After 30 years I retired very comfortably from that job. Go with your gut..you won't regret it.

While enduring the every day chatter from the wife about what goes on at her workplace good and bad, my advice is.....

What goes on at work, STAYS AT WORK!

Yep, "don't burn bridges" is one of my favorite phrases on that subject.
One of the other ones is "If you hate your job and your life so much that you feel you have to take on the people around you, then go somewhere else".

Not you personally Doogie, but about how some employees act to a customer.

I'll hand in a 2 week notice after signing the offer letter. I'm really close with a lot of the residents there since I am the only one who has been there for over a year. A lot of them are older retired couples and will ask for me personally on service request. I would be lying if I said it wasn't going to be tough to say goodbye to them and I feel like I am letting them down a little. My bosses boss knows I bust my *** for that company and I am expecting her to try to talk me out of it.

I plan on offering to train my replacement and they know I'll bust my *** up until I start packing my tools up.

Doogie,I went from doing mechinics for close to 40 years and said F*%# it,and went into CNC maching for areo space parts,and love it.Some times it,s just what the doctor orderd to keep you going with the pedal to the metal,mrmopartech

I got the offer letter today. It is a big pay increase but nothing too crazy. They told me I could start tomorrow if I wanted to but I'm sticking around for my two weeks.

-
Back