time for a new clutch !

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
doing a oil change on the 65dartcharger 273 today and noticed a little piece of clutch material peaking thru the inspection cover.. looks like it will be soon to replace the clutch..
what do you guys recommend for a oem /stock 9.5" clutch?
any special or places that carry the clutch kit?
I want the stock clutch and do not like a stiff pedal.. my stock pedal is so easy to push down ... I love that. and it grabs great !
the piece that I found was pretty thin so I thinking there can't be much left of the clutch ..... but it is still grabbing ok yet .

doing a oil change on the 65dartcharger 273 today and noticed a little piece of clutch material peaking thru the inspection cover.. looks like it will be soon to replace the clutch..
what do you guys recommend for a oem /stock 9.5" clutch?
any special or places that carry the clutch kit?
I want the stock clutch and do not like a stiff pedal.. my stock pedal is so easy to push down ... I love that. and it grabs great !
the piece that I found was pretty thin so I thinking there can't be much left of the clutch ..... but it is still grabbing ok yet .

I got mine from Brewers. Works great and easy pedal push. tmm
http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=251

Give Clutchnet a call. Made in USA, and they have been doing it that way for 48 years:

http://www.clutchnet.com/

They make a nice street clutch. They make great high performance clutches too. Just call them & tell them what you have, and what you want.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0iPWQV6Qs"]Made in USA - see how[/ame]

B.

stopped off at my local advance auto parts store to ask about a clutch kit for the 65 dartcharger 273 4speed.. they have three different clutch kits for that year.... stock/oem replacements.. kits are made by Perfection .. two kits are 101/2"clutch 101/2x23Tx1 and the third style is 10' clutch a 10x23Tx1 ..

why do you think there are two sizes 10" 10 1/2 and 10" ?
what should I be looking for for a stock oem set up 9.5" , 10" or 10.5" ?

some articles say you can run alittle larger cluch instead of the 9.5" clutch.
confused !:banghead:

try pep boys and ask for a LUK clutch, i was told buy a trans guy that also does a bunch of Hi perf stuff this is one of the few hi quality clutches for normal driving that you can get with a warranty . If you beat the snot out of it i would call brewers or passon, i have the LUK in my 383 RR and its fine i don't beat on it by dumping the clutch, i rev it out and shift hard but never dump the clutch its a show pony LOL

Attachments

• car show 013 (1280x853).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 504
stopped off at my local advance auto parts store to ask about a clutch kit for the 65 dartcharger 273 4speed.. they have three different clutch kits for that year.... stock/oem replacements.. kits are made by Perfection .. two kits are 101/2"clutch 101/2x23Tx1 and the third style is 10' clutch a 10x23Tx1 ..

why do you think there are two sizes 10" 10 1/2 and 10" ?
what should I be looking for for a stock oem set up 9.5" , 10" or 10.5" ?

some articles say you can run alittle larger cluch instead of the 9.5" clutch.
confused !:banghead:

The stock clutch is a 9 1/2" incher. You can run a 10" clutch as long as the pressure plate is meant to work on the small flywheel. You can see by the photos how close the bolt holes are to the friction surface. You also use special allen headed bolts or ones that look like header bolts with a very small head. You can't use a 10 1/2" with the stock bellhousing. It would have to be changed to the later model aluminum bell made for the 10 1/2"incher. Along with that comes linkage mods to make it work. Many guys here have bought a 10" stock clutchesfrom NAPA for a slant 6 taxi or van application.

Attachments

• clutch kit 003.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 526
  • clutch kit 004.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 533
  • clutch kit 006.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 504
thanks tmm ... did the 10" clutch come out as an improvement to the 9.5 " in the later years then.. or?

The two parts houses I went to today do not even mention a 9.5" clutch for that 1965 year. only 10" and 10.5".

here is a little piece of clutch disk that was sticking thru the inspection cover I found .. I think the clutch material is breaking down faster than normal because there is a rear main oil leak and all that oil is up there in the clutch area getting on the clutch . oh well , what you gonna do !

Attachments

• clutch disk torn.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 471
Good question Stroker. Don't know for sure. I do know the early A's with the cast iron bellhousing had a 9" for the slants and a 9 1/2 " for the v-8's The HD applications used a 10" clutch,( scalloped pressure plate and a 10" disc). That would be for taxi, police,and pick up/van. tmm

found another piece of the clutch disc again today. slowly coming apart.
still grabbing good yet !

You will need to drop the pan and fix the rear main leak too. Your clutch is not long for this world i'm afraid. lol tmm

yes tmm !

I had the inspection cover off a while back and it is all full of grease and oil up in there.
just a matter of time !
maybe the clutch will last thru the summer if I take it easy on the old girl. :prayer:

Yep. it could be op sender, back of intake, or oil galley plugs in addition to the rear main. My clutch was oil soaked also but I replaced the clutch when I rebuilt the engine so everything was resealed. tmm

with chunks like that, if you drive it a few times a week, i highly doubt it will last the summer!

The stock clutch is a 9 1/2" incher. You can run a 10" clutch as long as the pressure plate is meant to work on the small flywheel. You can see by the photos how close the bolt holes are to the friction surface. You also use special allen headed bolts or ones that look like header bolts with a very small head. You can't use a 10 1/2" with the stock bellhousing. It would have to be changed to the later model aluminum bell made for the 10 1/2"incher. Along with that comes linkage mods to make it work. Many guys here have bought a 10" stock clutchesfrom NAPA for a slant 6 taxi or van application.

I'm confused with the oem clutch for my 65 dartcharger 273 ..
Orielys say they have a 10" and 91/4" for slant 6 models. NO 9.5"
Napa says they have 10" ........... No 9.5" for the 273 .
What gives ?

ok ......... brewers says this will fit the stock oem 1965 dartcharger 273 4sp?

sound correct ? it is a revised clutch 10" for /6 and 273 . sculpted clucth .

Home » CLUTCH » Clutch Packages - Slant 6 / Truck

CP10 10" CLUTCH PACKAGE FOR 1963-UP SLANT SIX/273 APPLICATIONS WITH 122 TOOTH FLYWHEEL

Brewers performance ....Replacement clutch package for 1963 and later slant six/273 models originally equipped with the 9" or 9.5" clutch (using 122 tooth flywheel). Will also fit slant six trucks with 122 tooth flywheel. This is a 10" scalloped 3 finger Borg & Beck style pressure plate with organic 10" disc. Package includes clutch disc, pressure plate, special pressure plate bolts, throwout bearing and clutch alignment tool.

VERY similar to the pictures above on toolmanmike post.

Price: $189.95

That is the one. Brewers knows what they are doing. I've never had any luck with stock or rebuilt parts store clutches, behind a high performance 273.

The Brewers 10" conversion clutch is what I used. It worked good! I took it to my local Clutchmasters and had them put it on their set up machine. He said it was perfect. He did recommend that if I was racing the car, more or stiffer springs could be added to the pressure plate for more clamping force. I don't beat on my car so I don't need that although I have side stepped the clutch and
smoked the tires with out a problem. tmm

Stay away from Clutchnet! Rec'd a 9" disc and 10.5" pressure plate and after 9 months of BS promises, no return calls or emails I contacted visa, cant help because they run their online thru pay-pal and they have 45 days for dispute.
Another call to visa and several managers they refunded.
Oleg (owner of Clutchnet) was in a 3-way call with me and visa and promised to send me a check and never did.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but this is same topic. I pulled out the 9 1/2" clutch from my 273, got a 10" clutch from Rockauto. Bolt pattern is fine.

Height from base of pressure plate to the top of the fingers is on the 9 1/2" is 2.44", but the 10" is 2.64". Wondering if two-tenths of an inch makes a difference or will I make this up during adjustment.

And when I lay the pressure plates on the throw-out bearing (on the floor), I see less contact between the bearing and the fingers on the 10" than the 9 1/2".

I know when the bearing is depressed, the fingers will roll and make more contact with the bearing, but looking at the picture of the 10" (the clean one), the fingers sit close to the edge of the bearing.

Welcome any comments and perhaps some of us can learn from this.

Attachments

• 66 Barracuda 102.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 318
  • 66 Barracuda 101.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 66 Barracuda 100.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 66 Barracuda 099.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 66 Barracuda 103.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 295
I had problems with a 10" clutch I bought off E-bay. It ate the throw out bearing and pressure plate fingers. I thought I didn't have it adjusted properly.
Whether that was the case or not, it ate the pressure plate fingers and the t.o. bearing was toast. Mine looked a whole lot like yours Cliff. tmm

Bolt the PP up to the flywheel w/clutch, the fingers will drop down twards the center once everything is bolted together, If they still dont contact the throw out bearing properly then you have a problem.

from what I have been reading on the internet from other people installing a new clutch on the early dart.cudas is that some of the repop kits have issues and don't work properly. seems like brewers performance kits have no problems when installed.. That is probally the one I'll go with.

I'm sure nobody wants to do this job over twice ..

-
Back