time for headers... Need help !

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
OK, for those of you who havn't heard much about the '74 duster project I am building, I am now getting closer to the point where I need to start considering which headers I should choose for my engine. I am rebuilding a 360, and upgrading to an M1 dual plane intake, Holley 3310 carb, Lunati Voodoo 60401LK cam kit, possibly getting hypereutectic pistons and if need be bore 30 over. I hear about TTI headers and how well they fit in the a bodies with very little or no interference at all, yet they are expensive and I'm basically on a budget here. Aside from TTI's, which brand headers would yall consider for my application that are relatively lower priced and fit really well with little or no intereference from yalls experience ?? I appriciate any suggestions and info !

Aaron

It is a gamble no matter whom you use. I had a good fit with Headman and hookers. However, you will find people whom have had problems with these brands and others who have not.

do yourself a favor and save for the TTI. even if it takes another 3 - 4 months... the fit is well worth it... i just pulled my motor yesterday and it too 15 min to get both headders off.. you aint doing that with any other headder....

as far as other headders go other then tti... buy any of them.. they are all the same. they hang low, one tube goes right over #5 and 7 plugs making it a ***** not to burn wires... you want cheap your gonna get cheap crap.... you want a good fitting headder that doesn't hang low then tti is it... your getting what you pay for in this case.

do yourself a favor and save for the TTI. even if it takes another 3 - 4 months... the fit is well worth it... i just pulled my motor yesterday and it too 15 min to get both headders off.. you aint doing that with any other headder....

as far as other headders go other then tti... buy any of them.. they are all the same. they hang low, one tube goes right over #5 and 7 plugs making it a ***** not to burn wires... you want cheap your gonna get cheap crap.... you want a good fitting headder that doesn't hang low then tti is it... your getting what you pay for in this case.

Very well said a-bodyjoe...tti's are the ONLY headers i'll use too...

I need to replace my crusty,rusty,burnt,bent,cussed, Hooker Comps and I'm going to go the TTI route. Like a-bodyjoe said the 5 and 7 tube is spark wire burner for sure.

I used 3 set of TTIs loves them.

Ive used Hedmensm Hookers and Flowtechs, Had problems with all of them.

My Hookers has the drive link going through the header itself. Does the TTI eliminate that? From the pictures I've seen they do but I was just wondering if that is correct.

When I get the TTIs is it possible to install them without having the car on a lift? If I have to I will saw all the Hookers off to get them out. Just wondering if a shade tree mechanic like myself can get the car high enough to install the TTIs. I realize I will have to undo the motor mounts, starter etc..

the tti's go over the center link and tie rod.. i did mine on jack stands.. i followed the directions and they slippen in actually kinda easy.. had to lift the drives side of the motor like 3 inches or so...

They go in pretty easy. When I put the set in my 70 Cuda 440 they went in faster then the old ones came out.

its hard to see but check out the ground clearance here.

71&

look at the 5 and 7 plugs... oh and none of the bolts are hard to get to.. 3/8 box on most and a sock on the others...

71&

Nice!

Chrome or ceramic coated?

They look chrome in a way.

Where is the best place to buy them?

mine were chrome.. i figured the chrome and ceramic coatings were both gonna rust so i went with the cheaper of the two... they are a mess today... i wanted just bare but they didn't sell them like that..

OK, for those of you who havn't heard much about the '74 duster project I am building, I am now getting closer to the point where I need to start considering which headers I should choose for my engine. I am rebuilding a 360, and upgrading to an M1 dual plane intake, Holley 3310 carb, Lunati Voodoo 60401LK cam kit, possibly getting hypereutectic pistons and if need be bore 30 over. I hear about TTI headers and how well they fit in the a bodies with very little or no interference at all, yet they are expensive and I'm basically on a budget here. Aside from TTI's, which brand headers would yall consider for my application that are relatively lower priced and fit really well with little or no intereference from yalls experience ?? I appriciate any suggestions and info !

Aaron

If your building basically a street car and you MUST have headers, TTI's are what you want.

I went around and around with this and personally, I'm glad I kept my factory 340 HP manifolds. They last forever, never loosen or leak. Some tests have shown these to flow nearly as good as headers. It depends how bad you want them.

Jim

DSCN0830 (Small).JPG

I guess I`m just at a loss here, having owned a 383 GTS years back, I had a set of full length headers, MFG was Holley / Mickey Thompson, 1 5/8 x35 inches long 3 inch collectors, they never were a problem, didnot have the steering locator go thru the tubes, never rattled against anything, why is the small block so much differant..? they seem to have a lot of issues. Rich

Thank you everyone for your help and input to what I should use. I just may save a few weeks pay and go the TTI route keeping in mind that the a lot of yall havnt' had any problems at all with them ! On the other hand another question I need answered would be, what is the correct or shall I say right size headers I should use with my engine to get the best performance? Thanks again !!!

On the other hand another question I need answered would be, what is the correct or shall I say right size headers I should use with my engine to get the best performance? Thanks again !!!

TTI has only one size header for you. 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 with a 3 inch collector. HP dependent, exhaust pipe size comes into play, but, if your engine is a basic healthy engine, 2-1/2 will handle it fine. Once you get to the hi400 level, depending on who you want the car set up, street or track, the pipe may change to 3 inchs for the track.

No, they are the plain ceramic, Polished will look more like chrome.

-
Back