Timing Light

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
My old timing does not anymore whats a good new one to buy these days

Not cheap but not to expensive

Thanks all

Yep, Innova. I sold dozens of them when I was in business. Get the digital advance.

That price is pretty fair on Amazon also with free shipping

Love the split screen RPMs with setting up the Mechanical Advance

I have standar non advancing ones if needed. Do not buy a analouge advance light they ae always off, digital is fine.

The Innova will not work with MSD style ignitions .
It's probably best to buy a MSD one if you run multispark. Most lights are made to light on just one ignition pulse not many.

Besides the $$$$$ MSD light its hard to find one that works on multispark . Strange since there are so many cars with MSD style ignitions .

I bought an Actron CP7529 on Amazon about 10 years ago for $5. Has rpm and advance. My old Craftsman clamp-on pickup lamp still works, but it doesn't have advance. Even for idle, it doesn't work well since I want to set more than the 10 deg on the car's timing tab, unless I installed degree tape on the crank damper. With the advance feature, you just change the lamp's advance until the TDC mark on the damper aligns with the 0 deg mark on the timing cover.

I doubt mine works correct w/ multi-spark. I have an MSD "Stacker" box for a single coil, but haven't installed. If I do, I'll have to bypass it when setting timing.

I still have my old, simple, non-advance Penske lamp from THE SEVENTIES. A couple years ago I bought it's twin sister at a garage sale. My old one is "hard wired" the garage sale one is inductive. Like this one photo stolen off the internet

Penske.jpg

I still have my craftsman from the 70s 80s it had a problem so I took it apart and found a cold solder. Fixed that and I'm good to go!

Besides my two clamp-ons (Craftsman and Actron), I have an old in-line pickup one like post 14, I picked up at a thrift store for $2. Figured might help for something, like hacker projects or give to a kid struggling with an old car with no tools. Not my kids, they can't even change a tire, use Door-dash, and one even bought a Tesla.

i have one of these branded Equus in europe but its an innover
5568 Pro Digital Timing Light

i don't multi spark

if i have to do something with an MSD i use a £20 analogue from Crap Tools R US

they seem to work with 6AL type igntions but no idea how accurate

Wires were broken internally on mine where it entered the case from flexing over the yearas. Reterminated it an it works fine again.

I have a cheap Actron that works just fine with an MSD ignition. No dial-back or any other features, but it just plain works.

-
Back