Timing question

-

watso76

Reaction score
I'm at a loss on how to adjust my timing. I have a stock 318 in a 76 scamp. I just got my carb tuning issues figured out but I need to adjust the timing to get it right. How do I go about doing this?

First thing would be to have a manual, either downloaded or a book.
It explains in detail how the procedure is performed.

One thing the book doesn't tell you is that the base timing should be higher than the book says to run decent. (even the fender sticker says zero degrees usually)
Keep 10* in mind for your base timing.

I've got the manual but I don't know where exactly the screw is that keeps the distributor from moving.

It's not a screw; it's a 1/2" bolt holding a fork, passenger side of the dizzy.

You loosen the bolt on the distributor hold down then turn the distributor one way or the other to achieve the desired timing you want. But you are going to need a timing light.

To get to the bolt holding down the distributor it helps to buy the special U-shaped wrench just for that purpose otherwise it's tough to get a wrench or socket on it.

Another point, you may also want to check the vacumn (yes the spelling is correct) advance to see if it's actually working. The backyard mechanics way is to just pull the advance hose off & on while at a fast idle. The engine should respond appropriately.

To get to the bolt holding down the distributor it helps to buy the special U-shaped wrench just for that purpose otherwise it's tough to get a wrench or socket on it.

Another point, you may also want to check the vacumn (yes the spelling is correct) advance to see if it's actually working. The backyard mechanics way is to just pull the advance hose off & on while at a fast idle. The engine should respond appropriately.

Remember, you should plug the hose (or pinch it shut) when you pull it off the vacuum advance, or you'll be running with a vacuum leak in the manifold. This is for when you're checking the timing, not just doing a quickie test as Jim describes.

Another point, you may also want to check the vacumn (yes the spelling is correct)

Ok, we'll go with that even though... :eek:ops:

This auto resizing of images sucks.

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 262
I always hesitate when playing with the distributor on a running engine. I guess too many spark zaps. That is one way to find you need new plug wires. The small block is particularly tricky to get at. The Big Block has a much more exposed distributor. You can get new electronic adjustable timing lights cheap on Amazon (recall $30 for mine) or get an older fixed one for $2 at a garage sale. Get the clamp-on type, not the really old ones that wire in-line with the plug wire.

Here, See the bolt and fork at the bottom of the distributor? Photo taken from back of engine.

66B18enginebackclosew350h237.jpg

Timing first then start messing with the carb........ and in that order only!

Done any other way you will chase your tail.

I can't find this bolt to adjust timing. It wouldn't be a set screw on the side would it?

Look at the base of the shaft where it goes into the block. You will see a tab with two fingers on it and a bolt. Loosen the bolt just enough to turn the distributor.

-
Back