"Tipping" on ebay

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
What if you got a great deal on an item and you like feel guilty about it?

On two items I brought lately, the sellers were new on ebay and shipping costs were more then I paid, I sent either $5 or $10 after the deal to their pay pal account to make the deal fair to them. Both items did not sell too high in price and it just didn't seem right the seller would make only a few dollars on the item.

Well today I got another great deal, a light jacket for $13 to my door, this time I paid $8 for shipping and that is just what the postage on the bag had on it from USPS. The seller is making little on it after Ebay fees. I tempted to send another $5 to the seller but gee my "great deals" are becoming good deals. His feedback is under 100, not in the single digits like the other two but not no major seller

I say the jacket would had been I don' know in the stores, hard to say, if it was from big JC Penny I would not care but these are just small sellers

IMO I would be tempted to send it.
On the other hand, I might let em live and learn.

I think that is a good idea, if you can afford to do it. Perhaps send along a note with the money explaining. Wish more people were as honest as you.

So, next time I get screwed on ebay, does this mean I should expect the seller to tip ME???

It's Karma.

I haven't done it for Ebay but I do on craigslist if I see someone selling something wayyyy under what it should be. There's too many annoying cheapskates out there who try to take advantage of your patience and money as a seller so when I see someone being realistic I'll give them what they ask and thank them. I even give stuff away regularly to keep the "balance".

So, next time I get screwed on ebay, does this mean I should expect the seller to tip ME???
Exactly ........When I sell it always cost more than I charge for shipping. I do it so the buyer knows I am a fair and honest seller. I have had people try to charge me double what actual shipping is.

Yeah I guess I send another $5 his way, I don't know why people just don't ship parcel post to save money, if I get something cheap I expect it to be ship the cheapest way. I did used the jacket today also, here I thought it be for spring and its 57 today. It was brand new it seemed, no tags but did look new like the seller said

I always include a note, you can click on the link, I also send it as a personal gift so ebay can't "steal" any of it. If its for the item ebay will take their cut

Well its done, he's getting another $4.65--paypal takes a 45 cent fee for using a CC--that seems high to me

PS, I tend to get better deals on clothing cause I wear a size small

If you don't know what you have and sell it to me for cheap it's not my problem you didn't do your research.... It's this weird thing called life and kinda sorta how it works..

Yeah but i don't know, it just didn't seem right but maybe you are right in a way.

I see it as thou like driving and somebody turns left right in front and you tap the brakes so you don't hit even thou the accident might not be your fault but not all people drive like that. Some folks believe that driver should be hit cause they should had waited till traffic was clear. I figure mistakes happen and try my best to avoid any accident--I do sound my horn if I need to brake when I should not have too.

I still feel I got a good deal for the price. The last two sellers did thank me back, this guy thou just left me feedback--no real thank you so maybe he still feels it wasn't much $..I don't know what he paid for it....oh well

Yeah but i don't know, it just didn't seem right but maybe you are right in a way.

I see it as thou like driving and somebody turns left right in front and you tap the brakes so you don't hit even thou the accident might not be your fault but not all people drive like that. Some folks believe that driver should be hit cause they should had waited till traffic was clear. I figure mistakes happen and try my best to avoid any accident--I do sound my horn if I need to brake when I should not have too.

I still feel I got a good deal for the price. The last two sellers did thank me back, this guy thou just left me feedback--no real thank you so maybe he still feels it wasn't much $..I don't know what he paid for it....oh well

If you feel guilty about getting a good deal, feel free to give away as much of your money as you wish. It is, after all, your money.
My personal opinion is that you're being foolish.

Generous on your part. Its not a $1000 part, its only a couple bucks. Cheap way of buying good Karma. Good on you!

That is the thing, I buy an item for $5 and it ends up costing them a couple of dollars more then I paid them to ship it and then with ebay fees, they end up making $2 on the sale, that just doesn't seem right, IMO

If the item gets more bids and I pay say $80 for used manifold that sells new for $180 and it might cost them $2 more to ship it then what I paid, then that is different, I let it go, after all the opening bid might have been $20

But you got a few cool sellers listing items very cheap so it sell, those I don't seem to mind giving just a few dollars extra to, if it was a bulk wholesaler shipper, heck no I'm not paying extra, for all I know they are racking in the cash in another business.

Cool, just got a nice email from the dude saying the jacket was too small for him and thanks alot for the $5.

$5 seems to really cheer some folks up. I'm happy with the buy and now the seller is too. Times are tough, I do hang on to my cash more--sorry bums I don't got no change, unless maybe you don;t expect me toss any in your cup.

I do try to buy from the big sellers but sometimes good buys come along and like I said, well I believe from now on I am going to send a note to send the package parcel post..freaken USPS doesn;t need anymore cash and here they go saying they are losing money, ugh

-
Back